Parents I just want a straightforward answer about move to team!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

pullover

Proud Parent
DD(7) has been on pre team since Feb. In April or so I was told that she could most definitely move to team (xcel bronze) in the Fall and compete in the early part of next year (they compete Jan-March). I asked again in August or so and was told that there would be move-ups in Sept or Oct -maybe even as late as Nov. Pretty vague but ok. Her coach again said that she would be able to move up if that was our wish. I told him that it was our wish. A week or so later he invited DD to start staying for part of the team practice following her regular pre-team. I didn't know if this was sort of a move to team or a transition to team or what -or perhaps a trial??? DD is equally confused about it.

Another coach who used to coach DDs pre team group made a comment during practice recently that DD was looking so good that she should move to team and her coach said "she already does part of the team practice."

Tonight I was emailing with DD's coach about setting up a private lesson and asked him if there are certain skills that she needs before moving to team. I have not heard back. I don't know if it was the right way to ask for some clarification on the whole situation but it's so hard to get his attention in the gym.

If DD needs another full year of pre team (which is way more than we expected!) I am fine with this and I think DD will be OK with it too. But I want a straight answer already! Is this common in gymnastics? How can I better communicate with the coach?

Sit tight. It sounds like they are making the decision now. I would guess they are having her work out with the team to see how she does in that environment.

They're probably hoping she gets over the hump on some skill that she's close to getting. While the suspense is killing you, they might feel it's more pressure to have her know that she just needs her "X" which she's already pushing herself to get. Sometimes, trying too hard makes it even harder.

Hang in there. Sounds to me like they are transitioning her over! Don't say a thing. Wait it out. Unless a year from now they are still transitioning her over lol

I don't think it's a bad idea to email and try to find out what's going on. If they start competing in January, they should make the decisions pretty soon, since they would still have to learn the routines. And it's Xcel team, not JO, where you absolutely have to have all the skills. In Xcel if you don't have a skill, and can substitute it with another, so how tough those move-up requirements can be?

It may be more than just a skill they are looking for. If they have her working part of the team practice they may be looking to see how she handles the increased hours and the intensity level. I agree with the others: wait it out and see what happens. Since she is working with the team then they are definitely considering her. Sometimes gymnastics coaches seem to move at a glacial pace, but there's usually a method to their madness. They just aren't very good at sharing with parents.

Thanks for all of the responses. I finally got a bit of an answer -apparently she needs to be more consistent with her pullover and be more steady on beam if she's going to move up before the season. They would move her up as late as December (comp starts in late Jan/early Feb) -sounds like they would be cutting it very close, no? Any ideas for what I can do in the next few weeks to help her make team this year??? Privates?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back