WAG I keep losing my backbend kickover

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

So I got my backbend-kickover around a fortnight ago and then starting working on my back walkover and even did that a few times. Except for the past few days I can't. Like, literally CANNOT. You could hold me gunpoint and tell me to do one and I would just accept my doom. I have no problem with falling backwards into a bridge, but when I kick I just fall straight to my back. It seems my legs lost all their strength in a matter of 3 days, and I have no idea why. I can still do all the other gymnastics that I know, like handstands and cartwheels and front handsprings but the backbend kickover is just NOT happening. Any reason this might be happening? Is it normal to lose such simple skills?

I was planning to start perfecting my back walkover and then go onto back handsprings in a few weeks but now its like I'm back to square one. Any advice is thoroughly appreciated!

UPDATE:

So I woke up at around 3 am today to get some water but before going back to sleep, I saw my gymnastics mat on the floor on my room, which I had forgotten to put away the day before. It looked so lonely there in the glittering moonlight (well not really but you get the idea) so I did a few handstands on it and got the courage to try my bridge kick-over again. And somehow, I did a nearly perfect backwalkover.

I guess the gymnastics gods were up at 3 am to watch me. I love gymnastics with all my heart, but it’s weird man……

UPDATE:

So I woke up at around 3 am today to get some water but before going back to sleep, I saw my gymnastics mat on the floor on my room, which I had forgotten to put away the day before. It looked so lonely there in the glittering moonlight (well not really but you get the idea) so I did a few handstands on it and got the courage to try my bridge kick-over again. And somehow, I did a nearly perfect backwalkover.

I guess the gymnastics gods were up at 3 am to watch me. I love gymnastics with all my heart, but it’s weird man……
Congrats! I told you with time, it will come! that is my older DD's coach's favorite saying

It looked so lonely there in the glittering moonlight (well not really but you get the idea) so I did a few handstands on it and got the courage to try my bridge kick-over again. And somehow, I did a nearly perfect backwalkover.
Very relatable even as a graduated senior gymnast. Long hallways still tempt me....

Anyways. Some things to think about are yes, kicking strongly with your bottom leg, but equally important is using your leading leg and firmly pulling it past vertical. Once you get that leg past vertical, and if you had a strong kick at the bottom, gravity will do the rest.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back