I must feed!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

G

Gouldy

Hey gymnasts! You ever get the hunger? It comes and goes, but these days it's constant and fierce! How do y'all satiate your appetite?

If your hungry after practice or spending time i the gym, try drinking more water because I find that I mistake thirsty for hungry. Also, I like foods like popcorn because they are low calorie so you can eat more of it over more calorie dense foods.

Hey gymnasts! You ever get the hunger? It comes and goes, but these days it's constant and fierce! How do y'all satiate your appetite?

I reccomend eating. Or is there something about your question that I'm missing?

Lol! This is quite possibly one of the best posts I've seen on this board. XD

I eat lots and lots of pasta - it's filling and not bad for you (as long as you don't go crazy with the butter). I also use wheat bread rather than white bread whenever I can. It saves... about 60 calories a sandwich, I'm guessing? And it's more filling, IMO. I know how it feels. I have a black hole for a stomach. Hang in there! :D

Food!!!!

Yes the hunger gets you anywhere, anytime! At a meet last year DD left the floor, snuck up into the stands and got a hot dog which was consumed in three snaps of the jaw... Just in time for Vault!

Hahaha. Didnt seem to effect her score!:D

Exactly. Food = Fuel

It's better to be stronger and have more energy and 'lasting power' then it is to be ultra-light, with limited energy.

EAT - Just don't eat junk! Eat only real / whole foods. Even foods that are high in natural fats (bacon for example) are better for you then foods with synthetic ingredients.

Why gymnasts think they have to be on a constant diet is just plain crazyness. Y'all do 3- 10 times the workout then an average person. That alone will burn off any unwanted calories over time. Popcorn is OK sometimes, but it's only making your tummy full. It's not satisfying your bodies needs for fuel. Eat whatever you like... just make it real.

FWIW: Regular Pasta isn't 'that' good for you either, but it's not the worst you could do. There are plenty worse. It is a source of complex carbs, which is good, but it's the other ingredients in or on the pasta that often negate it's 'healthy qualities'. (Such as the white cream sauce, etc).

Whole grain pasta IS good for you. Regular pasta is questionable at best. Read the ingredients on a regular off-the-shelf box of pasta. You won't recognize any of them because they made from high-processed blended grain "meals" and other synthetic "binders" that have been altered so much from its orginal state that they arent allowed to call it what it was. "flour" for example. It's certainly not as appealing nor as healthly as its whole grain alternatives. Bottom line, When buying pasta read the label and make sure it's 100% whole grain. Cook it al dente (firm), serve it with vegetables and tomato sauce and enjoy.

Last edited:
Whether lots of carbs or lots of fat is bad for you is heavily debated in the nutrition field. Far too much low/no fat out there who eat a gajillion carbs which has shown to be really bad for you, especially if you don't burn them besides other issues like insulin insensitive and yadda, yadda.

I would rather see my gymnasts eating lots of whole foods than anything out of a package. In Japan, there is this idea of eating foods that have color. Those foods without color tend to be useless or a waste. Veggies and fruits have color. Starches tend not to. Meat has color. Ya get the idea.

Oh gosh I eat so much. It gets even worse when I have either cross country or track practice during the gymnastics season. Then I eat doubly as much.
I eat total junk and I really shouldn't. I try to eat fruit and veggies too though. I like whole wheat pasta and bread. Whats really gross is whole wheat pancakes. I just have regular pancakes but not as often thank you very much!

You are most likely growing plus the extra work in the gym will make you EXTRA hungry. I went through that. Try to eat healthier snacks when you get hungry like protein bars or nuts. This will satisfy your hunger. These are also great snacks before and after gym!

Best of Luck,
Savannah

Whether lots of carbs or lots of fat is bad for you is heavily debated in the nutrition field. Far too much low/no fat out there who eat a gajillion carbs which has shown to be really bad for you, especially if you don't burn them besides other issues like insulin insensitive and yadda, yadda.

I would rather see my gymnasts eating lots of whole foods than anything out of a package. In Japan, there is this idea of eating foods that have color. Those foods without color tend to be useless or a waste. Veggies and fruits have color. Starches tend not to. Meat has color. Ya get the idea.

Actually, the Japanese diet is mostly starch. Although they're eating more and more meat lately, their diet is mostly rice, rice and rice! They don't even eat too many veggies; only tsukemono. A nasty way to pickle cucumbers, and eggplants, imo! The idea that food has to have color is an appearance thing. They want their cooking to look pretty even though it tastes bland.

I go through stages where I am constantly hungry and then the next week I won't be hungry at all! When I'm in hungry mode I try to make sure I have a small but high carb lunch (I train in the afternoon) and also take a banana with me to the gym and eat it about half way through the session. I also take a big bottle of water and make sure I have a lot to drink throughout the session.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back