WAG I Need Help On Flicks (Back Handsprings)!!!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Basically, I don't have the power in my arms to push from the handstand back to my feet. My hands hit the mat and then my feet snap over but before I can land, my arms crumple and I land on my knees. I really need it for a tumbling series and I've been working on it for ages!!!!!! Its also really embarrassing because everyone else in my group has their flicks and are moving onto standing tucks and fulls and I can't move on until I have my flick. I can't even do one on the trampoline!!!!! Any tips?

You're probably working with an incorrect mental model of the skill. Gymnastics is kinda complicated because most of the skills aren't going to work if you do them the way you'd think you should......so "monkey see-monkey do" usually ends up with the monkey getting pretty messed up.

The best thing.....listen to your coach's corrections and ask if there's one or two specific corrections the coach thinks you're ignoring, because if you think the skill should be done with a certain key emphasis, you're going to interpret corrections in a way that fits your emphasis.....and niether you, nor your coach will realize the two of you aren't working on the same version of the skill.

The best thing.....listen to your coach's corrections and ask if there's one or two specific corrections the coach thinks you're ignoring, because if you think the skill should be done with a certain key emphasis, you're going to interpret corrections in a way that fits your emphasis.....and neither you, nor your coach will realize the two of you aren't working on the same version of the skill.

One of my coaches just tells me to land on my feet next time every single time but the other one gives me good tips. The only problem is that I train with the first coach for four hours a week whereas I train with the other one for just two.

it would be helpful to see video.
Sorry, I don't have a video and I'm probably not going to have one as my gym doesn't allow parents on the floor and trampoline areas, only in the reception.

You might find it useful to find some youtube tutorials, get a good mental picture of what you're supposed to be doing.

As dunno says, without video there could be a load of things causing your arms to bend- a wrong angle, trying to rebound by bending the arms rather than using the shoulders, not enough speed, the list goes on.

You could ask your coach to video you if they don't allow parents? Obviously not to post here but so you can see what you're doing wrong.

I have the power the power because I can do a whip-back when I want to but I just don't seem to be able to keep my arms straight with the impact of the flick. I have the lower body power I just don't have any upper body power.

I have the power the power because I can do a whip-back when I want to but I just don't seem to be able to keep my arms straight with the impact of the flick. I have the lower body power I just don't have any upper body power.

How is your shoulder flexibility? Are they abnormally "tight"?

I've never really thought about that. I'm not sure if my gym offers one on ones, it has a lot of younger gymnasts who take up most of the time.

It's really difficult to help without being able to see but I'd be 99% certain that it's your technique that is making your arms bend and not a lack of upper body strength. Two things to consider.

1. Is your head in between your arms all the way through, arms squeezing ears - or is it stuck right out trying to see the floor too early. Grab a pair of socks, hold one sock each between your arm and ear on each side and see if you can flic without the socks falling out. You may need a light spot as you can't swing your arms before you go (or use the trampoline)

2. Are you falling backwards properly before you jump up. If not your flic will be too high and as you're flexible your hands will come in too close to your feet and cause over rotation to your knees.

Good luck, you'll definitely get it :)

I'm with rd7, I doubt it's your strength.

The thing I see most often with bent arm is people not using their shoulders- it's your shoulders that absorb the force and push into the second part of the flic. You don't bend your arms to push off..

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back