I Realize Now

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I realize now the reason I am not as good as others who have been doing gymnastics for the same amount of time as me. I hear of all kinds of people who started at 9, like me, and by 14 they were at least a Level 7. I started at 9 and I'm a Level 4.

But at camp today...I realized.

Those 7, 8, and 9 year olds are doing crazy tricks because the majority of them go to gymnastics 4, 5, or even 6 times a week, 4 hours each training session!!! And some of the people going this often are only Level 5!!! One of them has a younger sister in Level 3 and even SHE goes 3 times a week!!!

But my gym only offers one class a week for two hours!!!

I used to blame my lack of progress on my awful fears, but the fears have been triggered by something else. I only go to gym once a week. I barely ever do certain skills I am afraid of. And even if I get over that fear, there's a whole week before the next class that I can't practice them. And by next week, I'm scared again.

You can get private lessons, but you're only allowed 2 each month. I don't know if I should switch to another gym. I mean, even Level 5/6 team only goes 3 times a week for 3 or so hours. And, if my ballet schedule next year conflicts with whatever days I have gymnastics--I don't know what level I'll be in or what days I'll go--then I might HAVE to find a new gym that offers multiple classes a week, but not all of them conflicting with ballet, for kids my age who are only in Level 4. I mean, my best friend's sister {also a friend of mine} goes to this gym that is apparently really good. Their team is often in the paper and they get tons of medals and they almost always make it to states. However, I don't even know if they offer classes for people like me. But still, what about my coaches here at my current gym that are so determined to make me better? What about my friends who I will never see again?

*sigh*

I just wish that, since I started, I could have taken more classes. If so, I would have never taken ballet, and this whole gymnastics-or-ballet conflict would never have arose. Plus, I would at least be a Level 6 gymnast.

I just wish that, since I started, I could have taken more classes. If so, I would have never taken ballet, and this whole gymnastics-or-ballet conflict would never have arose. Plus, I would at least be a Level 6 gymnast.

Everything happens for a reason. (I learned that from Shawn Johnson :D) But really, I do believe that. It's gonna turn out all right. If you really do believe that, you can get through almost anything. I always have to tell myself that when I wish something had gone differently. And chances are, later on, I end up thinking, well that wasn't so bad.

Sorry, I know you hate pep talks. Just had to say that stuff :)

Hey!
Gymnastics is a really tough sport, especially whenever you feel like you just aren't doing as well.
I had so many fears as a gymnast and I always felt embarressed. I was in a different gymnastics program, not USAG, so I was able to be successful through form rather than skills.

It may seem really hard to switch gyms, but you need to think about what is more important to you. Keep in mind that your coaches have had gymnasts leave them multiple time and it will be nothing new. They may be upset for a few days, but they will be fine. You can always hang out with your gym friends, plus you will make more friends at your new gym. Then you will have double the gym friends and meet so many more people.

I don't know your entire situation, but I would look into other gyms and see some that have classes with some "older gymnasts" as some gyms, all the older girls are on higher levels.

in the final analysis what's important is that you are someone's daughter, you are loved, you get good grades, you stay away from drugs, sex, alcohol and you keep your room clean. don't sweat or regret the other small stuff. it's just gymnastics:)

It may be true that they are better than you because they train more. This is a huge factor in how good they are and how hard they work. But it's also because they are younger, and (sorry little kids...) can be stupid. Which means that while you are dealing with fears, they try everything they see because they think it looks fun, and it doesn't occur to them that it's dangerous.

Think about how busy you feel in your life. With ballet and gymnastics and school and homework and free time to spend on Chalk Bucket. Now imagine leaving out 24 hours to spend training.

You probably wouldn't enjoy it as much.

At this point, all you really need is to have fun. Of course, it would be more fun with older kids, on a team, and in the gym more often, but there really aren't many classes for older kids in lower levels. I've been there, and looked everywhere. There are Xcel programs and rec classes for beginner (like, seriously beginner) high schoolers, but nothing in between. Privates would be nice for you, but you seem to rather be with your friends.

Are there any other gyms around you that offer once a week classes on an available day in your schedule? You could stay at your gym and be with your friends and coaches, but make new friends and meet new coaches at another gym on a different day and spend more time in the gym working on your skills, just at two different days. That makes twice a week, and eventually, you could get to three, and even four.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back