i regret quitting so much :(

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

hi all, i just came across this forum and just wanted to vent/share my regret for leaving gymnastics and if it is possible to return.

i started men's gymnastics relatively late (11 years old) and was put into level 5. i made a ton of memories, friends, and progressed really fast. however, i ended up quitting my freshman year of high school (15) at level 10 due to injuries, mental blocks, and an ab*sive coach. i just lost all love for the sport. every 4 hour practice went from being something i loved to something i absolutely resented and was scared to go to.

looking back, i insanely regret that i made the decision to quit gymnastics. i wasted all my parent's time, money, and felt like i let them down. i miss having teammates that cheer you on, i miss getting yelled at for not adjusting the spring board after i vaulted, and miss having chalky hands and cramming homework in the car before practice. if i could go back into gymnastics i absolutely would. i'm 18 now, the same weight and height as when i quit, but i definitely lost my skill.
i wish i spoke up to my coach and parents about needing a break from the sport. i really think if i stuck with the sport i would have gotten somewhere (obviously not olympic level, but maybe collegiate level)

sorry if this post is out of place here, i just wanted to let it off my chest, no one could understand me more than other people who have been in the sport.

also does anyone know if gyms allow people to pay and practice there with other gymnasts at the same level (but not compete)? i would return to my old gym, but i believe my old coach is still there

two of the adults in our adult classes competed a few years ago with the club. You could reach out to some clubs and see if they offered that. I think it would have costed a fair bit because a coach had to go with them on their own outside the clubs competitions and they needed to wear the club uniform but could be an option.

It would really depend on the club. Larger clubs may have quite full comp teams, and they need the spots for those who will be representing the club. Clubs struggling for numbers may be happy to fill those spots, with non competing gymnasts.

thank you for the responses!

final question, how do non-collegiate gymnasts (over 18) compete in usa gymnastics competitions if they are too old to be in JO? Do they go to gyms and just train and register for qualifiers to be SR elite?

Look into NAIGC (National Association of Intercollegiate Gymnastics Clubs) programs. NAIGC is very supportive of "come as you are and do what you can" and is an excellent program for people who love gymnastics. There's a wide range of abilities, body types, and form in NAIGC. There's a beginner/developmental level with a lot of variety in allowed skills. They allow anyone to do any event, so if you want to train and compete beam, you can, and there may be women competing in MAG events. One of the best parts of NAIGC is that it includes both intercollegiate teams and "community teams," allowing adults to start or continue competing in gymnastics.

i wasted all my parent's time, money, and felt like i let them down.

You absolutely did not. Almost everyone who does gymnastics is doing it for the life lessons and life skills. One of the the most important lessons in life that is extraordinarily difficult to learn is to set and maintain boundaries, and to leave toxic situations. At an age younger than most, you were able to recognize an abusive individual and you valued yourself enough to walk away. That is worth every penny and every minute and more.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back