WAG I ripped on my very first class...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gympocalypse

Gymnast
After a year of trying and pretty devious scheming , I finally convinced my mom to let me do gymnastics today. The good news is my coach advanced me to the Intermediate level after class. The bad news is, I ripped 5 minutes into bars while walking across the high bar several times and doing...a back hip circle :confused:. There were two rips the size of a dime on my left hand, and my right hand was on the verge of ripping as well. I got frustrated, both with the pain and how I had to stop. Anyways, what can I do to speed the healing process and prevent rips? I actually have to record a piano performance for a radio station next week, so I'm a little worried...I put teabags on the rips and I'm going to put chapstick and cover them with a sock before I go to bed. Do you guys have any other tips? Will my hands get even worse later as I progress? The Uneven Bars are my favorite event, but I'm a little bummed how they could be my worst event if I keep ripping so easily. I can work through pain, but I'm very serious about piano, so I'm afraid bad ripping may be an issue in the future. Thanks a lot, I really appreciate it.

I wouldn't use chapstick, I would use vaseline or neosporin. it helps a great deal. You want calluses, but you don't want them thick because they will just rip again.. As you get used to it they should lessen. Good luck!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using ChalkBucket mobile app

I've found I only get rips when the bars are covered in patches of lumpy chalk. You can try to avoid these by moving your position on the bar so that your hands are not on the lumpy chalk patches. Or use a velcro strip to clean the lumpy chalk off the bar.

Go to a drug store like Walgreens and get new skin (usually in the neosporin aisle). It's a little bottle of liquid you rub on the rips. It's really stings but usually took care of rips quickly for my daughter. She ripped bad before grips...her whole palm would rip and bleed.

what can I do to speed the healing process and prevent rips?
I've found nothing better than 'bag balm'. Yep, same stuff they put on cows sore utters, but it works miracles! Put it on at night and cover with sock. You can find it behind the counter at some pharmacies, or go to an animal feed store to get it. As for prevention? GET SOME GRIPS! ;) No one should be doing bars without them. Glad it is your favorite event, as it is mine too, but if you continue to rip like that, it may not be for much longer..... Keep up the great work. :)

You're going to rip a lot until your calluses build up. It's all part of the game. ;)

If you are older, definitely take the time to make up some tape grips before your gym class at home. It can take some time to make them at gym and your bar time might be over by the time they are made and taped.

While you can have a coach make them for you, there are video guides on youtube that can show you how to make re-useable grips that you can bring with you, slip on your fingers and tape around wrist. This is also cheaper on tape in the long run and saves time.

New skin is starting to break through the rips, but there are now deep cracks lying on the lines of my hand, making piano playing extremely painful.
Moisturizing and other methods I used for the original rips does not seem to work. What should I do?

I carry new skin at meets for an emergency, but don't recommend it on a normal basis as I feel it hinders healing. I'm not sure why you don't get real grips. You don't make a tape leo for gym, so why grips? ;) As for piano, the reality of the situation is you may have to give your hands a break for a little while so they can get better. Hopefully by then you will have some real grips, and be sure to file down any calluses so you will be less likely to rip in the future. Good luck.

At first, I thought it was unnecessary to get real grips (I'm only a level 2), but I think they will be a good investment.
I was anxious about piano, because I'm going to be interviewed and record a live performance for the radio...tomorrow. Thankfully, my hands are doing much better now. I'll just live by the wise words of Alicia Sacramone: "Suck it up and be a man about things." :)

Tape gets expensive and cumbersome just but some $10 palm guards and be done with it. ;)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using ChalkBucket mobile app

^^^^what she said. Tape does add up. There was a certain point where I was going through a large amount of tape, and the sales guy started to call me the "tape lady" lol.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back