Parents I took y'alls advice...and I'm not mad

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

notthatmom

Proud Parent
When my daughter first started pre-team I came and asked all you parents about some advice for a gym parent just starting out...and I just have to say that the number one best piece of advice you gave me was DONT STAY AND WATCH PRACTICE! At first I couldn't help myself, I like being in the gym, and I love watching my kid, but I really felt like she was getting nowhere, but that's because I was watching the gradual process.

Well, I smartened up...and I stopped watching. Even if I do sit in the gym, I have my work lap top with me and I'm working remotely...I honestly forget I'm there from time to time.

Anyway, it's the best thing ever to randomly glance over and watch practice for a minute now, because oh my gosh she's doing so well!!! And her coach was all excited talking about how "her girls" are all on track to make level 3 in May!

Made me a proud mommy. I do the same thing with my other daughter at dance now too....I don't. Watch. Practice. And it's pretty much one of the best things you can do as a sports parent. So anyway, thanks everyone, for your awesome advice and support, I'll be sure to pass it along to all the new gym parents I see!!

Lol! Now that DD is branching out into other activities besides gym, ( she's retiring/ quitting gymnastics after 8 years!) - I do the same thing at her other sporting activities!

These activities require the parent to stay... I bring my tablet or book and hardly ever look up. One of her coaches was laughing at me, he was watching DD do something, and they both looked over at me - the Coach yelled, " Hey Mom, watch this!"

It's interesting how it contrasts with my son's basketball and baseball practice where the coach not only prefers us to be there during the practice but wants us involved in running the drills on the baseball field or basketball court. I'm sure this will change as my son gets older, especially when he gets into high school sports. My oldest daughter was into dance and you don't even have the option to watch (they close the curtains). They have 1 week a month where they open the curtains. So we got trained real quick to just drop her off and not even tempted to watch.

It's interesting how it contrasts with my son's basketball and baseball practice where the coach not only prefers us to be there during the practice but wants us involved in running the drills on the baseball field or basketball court. I'm sure this will change as my son gets older, especially when he gets into high school sports. My oldest daughter was into dance and you don't even have the option to watch (they close the curtains). They have 1 week a month where they open the curtains. So we got trained real quick to just drop her off and not even tempted to watch.
I think it would be hilarious one day if the gym coaches invited all the parents in and said "ok, everyone is conditioning with their kids today so they can do this at home with them" hahaha
It's funny to see how differently the sports are coached, but at the same time it makes complete sense.

Because boys and girls are completely different. :)

At my sons gym they don't allow parents to watch , and that has been so good for my son . He doesn't want to be watched .

Sent from my iPhone using ChalkBucket

I have found myself getting upset at practice lately. Analyzing my dd's moves. So yesterday I ignored her. I told myself that she had this covered and knew what she needed to do and would take care of it. My watching her would not help or change anything.

We were both happier at the end of the day.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back