WAG I want to start gymnastics…but I feel like I’m too old

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

MMgym

Gymnast
Hi! I am 17 and am wanting to start gymnastics again. I was a gymnast from age 3 to about 9 and was a level 3 (I think). I never competed or anything…just did it for fun. Recently since covid hit I’ve been working on regaining old skills and learning new ones on my trampoline and a yoga mat. I also have a tape line “beam”. I really want to take a class, but I’m worried I’ll be the oldest by a lot. I have read that t&t is more common for teens, but I also really want to do bars and beam. Should I look into private lessons? Is it even worth it or am I too old? I’m not flexible AT ALL so that’s another worry. Thanks for any advice!

You're never too old to do gymnastics for fun!

As to the specifics of what options will be available to you, that varies widely from gym to gym. Your best bet is to call around among gyms in your area, and see what they have available.

I agree that you can start any time to have fun! Some gyms offer classes for junior high and high school aged gymnasts specifically, and the levels vary! Look at the classes offered by gyms near you.

Not sure what is available in your area. But I don’t think anyone is too old to try something new. You can also continue doing gymnastics going into college. Many college clubs take anyone interested in joining. Good luck and have fun.

Some gyms have an open work out "class or time" ,for all ages. Basically you go and work on whatever you want and the coaches float around and help you with spotting and tips. See if there is a gym in your area that offer something like that.

You are not too old. Lots of people don’t even take up gymnastics until their 30’s, 40’s, 50’s or even later and then go on to become successful competitive gymnasts. So yes, 17 is fine!

It doesn’t matter if you are older than the others. You want to be in a class that is right for your ability. Life is about all different ages interacting. Like older and younger sisters.

My daughter’s gyms offers classes for adults — I think you’d be surprised to see how many people your age or older there would be. I’ve seen many older teens in rec classes just having fun and getting some good exercise.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back