WAG Ideal practice time?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

How many hours of gymnastics practice is ideal for rapid improvement? I spend three hours total at the gym each week, which isn’t much at all but I practice at home around an hour a day, two hours if I have time. I include stretching and conditioning as part of at home practice, as well as some dance, in which I’m self taught. Not sure if running is considered conditioning, but I run in the summer or when the weather is good. I’m not looking to compete or anything, just for overall improvement. If you have any tips let me know!

I wouldn't say that there is an ideal number of hours for improvement. Some gymnasts improve with minimal hours of coaching time, and other take a lot more hours or more time to progress. It is very individual, one person may struggle on a particular skill whereas another may find it easy.

I would say that the stretching and conditioning at home are your best ways to improve for now. Especially, having a strong core is important for so many gymnastics skills. Perhaps ask your coaches for recommendations on the types of stretches you should do, or the best conditioning exercises to ensure you aren't overdeveloping one muscle group or neglecting another. But be aware that your body needs rest sometimes too!

I wouldn't say that there is an ideal number of hours for improvement. Some gymnasts improve with minimal hours of coaching time, and other take a lot more hours or more time to progress. It is very individual, one person may struggle on a particular skill whereas another may find it easy.

I would say that the stretching and conditioning at home are your best ways to improve for now. Especially, having a strong core is important for so many gymnastics skills. Perhaps ask your coaches for recommendations on the types of stretches you should do, or the best conditioning exercises to ensure you aren't overdeveloping one muscle group or neglecting another. But be aware that your body needs rest sometimes too!
That makes sense, considering I have quite a strong core but my arms are like sticks- they seem to be perpetually sore even though my core never is, even after intense days. Since I run my legs are never that sore either, thankfully!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back