Coaches Ideas for Rope

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Jabba

Coach
Like others on here, I love rope and my kids climb everyday (w/o legs). But, it gets monotonous. I'm hoping to hear from other coaches on how (specifically) your kids climb, how many times, how often, timed/not timed? Any ideas to make it more fun and still get a quality work out from it? Unfortunately our gym only has one rope, so we can't race or anything like that. I pair it with presses, but it still is quite time consuming.

Yeah, sucks to only have one rope.

Go to the hardware store and get 1 1/2" or 1 1/4" or 1" manilla. Oleg made his own splice and attachement system with old grips he found and cut up and we would hang them on the high single rail on the Unevens.

Not 15-20', but perfect since the kids were only allowed to climb in V or straddle.

I like monotony. 3-5 attempts at climbing the rope. If they couldn't climb legless, I might help with a spot or they would sit in a straddle and pull their bum off the floor as many times as they could. On the one hand, I could spot to make them feel better about themself, OTOH it's a time suck so I might only spot one rope and stay there.

I generally don't time them but I know for climbs when they use legs, I give them 20-30 seconds or it just takes forever and cycles too slow with only 2 ropes, much less 1.

Fun ways to climb, two ropes at a time in L or hopping, upside down in straddle, upside down with feet or as slow as possible on one arm on the way down or up and taking one hand off to the side.

I no longer allow ANY climbs with feet unless I'm letting them have fun, especially with the younger ones. It's too much of a time suck. If we've already done our legless rope climbs for the day, I might come back and allow them to do more with legs to get more pull volume in at a lighter intensity.

Some other coaches send kids to the rope when they are misbehaving or messing around. I'm ok with leg assisted climbs then but I don't generally deal with such methods. I just send them to the wall or parent's benches instead.

Great ideas, thanks! I very much like the idea of creating a "mini rope" from a high bar. That would at least help to make 2 groups for climbing, even if they had to climb up and down a bunch of times to get the same effect as the real rope. My kids only climb without legs as well, we just need to get in more of it in a short time. This helps! Any other thoughts, or ideas on how to make it fun?

Sent from my SCH-I405 using ChalkBucket mobile app

We also put weights in their laps when they did L/V climb. Plate weights that were rectangular.

I actually rigged my ropes to hang from the rings so I wouldn't have to share with the girls ever. Other groups and classes could use the ceiling ropes whereas I could hang the ropes off the rings (which was sort of the undeclared men's area).

Well, when they were first learning, and before I was broke as a result of this, here is what I did. I would have one of my girls that already could climb it tape a one dollar bill hanging down from the top. Then I would let the little ones climb, and if they could grab it, they could have it! (only one dollar per child or you will end up like me!) Damn, you have no idea what a 6-7 year old will do for a buck from the coach, especially when you start belly aching about how there just went your dinner money for the night and now it's back to dog food! ;) Now, for different groups I set height or speed requirements and give them a coupon for a free frozen yogurt. Some say I'm 'bribing' the kids......I say I'm getting 'results!' ;)

If you have only one rope its best to throw it in while you are doing other activities. Like when vault is going send them over one at a time to do the rope, don't waste time sitting around waiting for the rope. As long as they are old enough that you will know that they will climb down properly and not slide or jump.

Each kid could have their own personal rope record which they try to beat each time and you could try to set a record for the group or even for the whole gym.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back