WAG IGC requiring female campers to wear shorts or leggings

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

178F25B9-EF83-4615-8FB8-908C6F44CC20.jpeg
Raenn, my code doesn’t say no boxers. Weird. It just says a one piece leotard..

Wow, so we were both wrong! There is a deduction to wear shorts?! I had been under the impression that as long as they were bar shorts and matched the leo, there was no deduction. Well that’s a huge barrier in and of itself. Not because 0.2 is a huge deduction, but because it says how usag feels about shorts and coaches will follow suit. I notice it says that unitards are allowed.. but shorts are not. How curious to me. It makes me feel even stronger in my belief that someone will have to force the issue.

I've definitely had this deduction taken on one of my athletes before. It was her last event at states and she had female problems going in to the event (which was balance beam of course!). I let the judges know ahead of time that she would be wearing shorts and that I was aware of the deduction. It definitely exists!

I've definitely had this deduction taken on one of my athletes before. It was her last event at states and she had female problems going in to the event (which was balance beam of course!). I let the judges know ahead of time that she would be wearing shorts and that I was aware of the deduction. It definitely exists!

Can I ask a question. I’m not trying to be obstinate, but how will shorts help the period issue? I get that if you have a leak, putting on a pair of shorts can cover it. But say gymnasts start wearing shorts all the time-won’t both the leo and the shorts get stained? Our girls wear spandex briefs (which the crotch is lined), plus a Leo so that’s already 3 layers of fabric. And a small pantiliner won’t show under properly fitting briefs and Leo.

I mean yeah periods are trickier for gymnasts than basketball and soccer players, but that goes for lots of sports.

Can I ask a question. I’m not trying to be obstinate, but how will shorts help the period issue? I get that if you have a leak, putting on a pair of shorts can cover it. But say gymnasts start wearing shorts all the time-won’t both the leo and the shorts get stained? Our girls wear spandex briefs (which the crotch is lined), plus a Leo so that’s already 3 layers of fabric. And a small pantiliner won’t show under properly fitting briefs and Leo.

I mean yeah periods are trickier for gymnasts than basketball and soccer players, but that goes for lots of sports.
Shorts help the period issue because they help to hide pads- not all gymnasts can or want to wear tampons. Also, in the event of a unexpected stain, they can cover it up to get through the meet.

I was just going to post this! Honestly, I think that is silly and backward thinking. Allowing girls to wear shorts in practice or competition is one thing, but requiring it is quite another. It’s again implying that girls/women are sexually abused or assaulted because of their clothing.

Exactly my thought too.

Can someone post a link to the thread on shorts with comp leos? I haven't seem it and am so curious. DD has said she wishes she could wear shorts with her comp leo -and I honestly wonder if she would do better in competitions if she could as she absolutely HATES not wearing shorts and wears shorts at every practice.

Shorts help the period issue because they help to hide pads- not all gymnasts can or want to wear tampons. Also, in the event of a unexpected stain, they can cover it up to get through the meet.

Yes. And bar-style shorts can also accommodate more cuts of undergarments without showing. While some gymnasts have no problem finding the right undergarment to fit their bodies AND the cut of the leotard so that it doesn't show, many still struggle despite having tried many brands. I know my DD HATES it when her underwear peeks out, and we have been through every brand and size. In the 5 years I've been on this site, there have been a multitude of threads on finding the right undergarments and the struggle. And yes, one solution is that leotards could be better made with sewn-in liners so that underwear isn't needed for modesty purposes, with the tradeoff that laundering the leo properly will be more important, so leo luster may not last as long in some cases. But even so, add in a period to deal with, 12 year olds having to worry about waxing/shaving, and why the heck are we making this so hard on our girls to just get their outfit right so they are comfortable to do their magnificent amazing athletic performance?? Seriously, shorts should be a very acceptable option with zero penalty. All it would take is 1)USAG changes the rule to zero penalty (no religious/medical excuse required) and 2) a few teams to start doing this attractively (e.g., cool shorts that coordinate), and I will bet you dollars to doughnuts that the uniform choice will trend in the direction of lots of girls/teams choosing shorts before too long. Especially, perhaps, in Xcel, but probably JO too. And if it doesn't, that's ok, too, because the girls who want/need shorts will be happier athletes, and the girls who adore their shorts-less leos are just fine, too.

My particular POV has nothing to do with the abuse issue. So I know that is a bit off topic from this thread.

And please stop using the argument that a gymnastics leotard is just like swimming attire, and swimmers are just fine, so "what's the big deal"?. It's not the same. It's a different sport with waaaaaay more, and different, movements and body positions, thus, the performance needs of the uniform is not the same. It's not performed in the water, so girls have more choices with period protection (unlike swimming where that is limited because of the water). Uniform issues in the water are less likely, and are much less apparent to an audience versus uniform issues on the beam, bars, vault, or floor exercise where everyone is literally looking at every inch of your body, all the time.

Sorry if this post seems a but punchy. I, too, thought shorts were a penalty-free option (just not currently a popular one), and I was really annoyed to see that this is false and there is a penalty for that choice. History has made so many things hard for girls and women, often with 'appearance' as the reasoning. I'm on the side of making competing their amazing athletics as comfortable and confident for our truly incredible girls as possible, and not giving them extra, undue worries that we could help them avoid by supporting reasonable uniform options.

I competed well into adulthood and never wore underwear or a bra under my leotard. They key is well made and correctly fitted leotards. The trend for these super high cut leotards is causing a lot of problems. Ours were not high cut and stayed put when we competed. They were lined and custom made to our individual measurements, quality materials were used. For the price parents pay for a comp Leo, this should be the basic minimum expectation for their quality.

The vast majority of our judges and comps will absolutely take the deduction for kids wearing shorts while competing. But I have never seen a deduction for a bra strap sticking out.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back