IGC... worth it?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

So, a lot of girls at my gym have been to IGC and said it was a ton of fun. I really want to go to so I looked into it and... its $920. I was just wondering if anyone on CB who went to IGC could tell me about it so I can see if it's worth it. $920 is a lot of money and I don't want it to be a waste. Thanks!!!!

It really depends on who you ask. Some people have a blast and return year after year, others think once is more than enough. I went to IGC and had a pretty crummy experience, but this was over 12 years ago and I had some issues going on in my life that made things extra difficult. But I know plenty of people who have an absolute blast meeting new gym friends, working with new coaches, playing on all the awesome equipment, and using all of the recreational facilities.
Whether or not it's a good fit depends largely on who you are as a person and what you want to get out of the experience. There are plenty of cheaper gymnastics camp options that can be just as good, and maybe even a better fit for certain individuals. I know many people on here have more recent experiences with IGC that will be much more helpful to you, but make sure you do some research on your own and talk it over with your parents.

It is a huge amount of money. They first year both my girls went aged 10 and 13 they both loved it and felt they learned a lot.

THe second year my 11 year went alone, she loved the social side of life, the food and the activites, but the gym actaully reduced her to tears, she was evaluated and put in a group that she never was able to practice the skills she needed to work on. AT our gym she has her kip, flyaway ro bhs bt etc and there she never was allowed to do them without massive spotting. This was not the case her first year. She says she won't go back.

Her coach was unhappy when she got back to gym as she felt she had regressed and it meant a lot of wasted gym time for both of them relearning to do skills alone.

Gym camp is a lot of fun, but so is any camp!

IGC is not worth it to us.

My dd went in August and while she had lots of fun and would go back, it was not a good fit for her. She had a great time with the activities but the gym time was a waste of time.

Dd had just finished her first year as a level 5 and made it to sectionals. She has back tumbling issues. Sometimes she will do and BWO and sometimes the fear gets her. She will also do a ROBHSBHS if someone is standing on the floor near her. The evaluation process was fast and she did her kip on bars but when they asked her to do a ROBHS she told them she was scared and that she could do a BWO. They said okay, she did a BWO and they went on to the next person. Because of that, she was placed with kids that were level 3/4 and she spent the week doing only level 4 skills.

The only way I would send her back to IGC is if it was half the cost. If we weren't moving to Texas, I would look into the week at Penn State.

Is it a good fit for younger kids? If they spot everything I'd be fine with that as my dd is only level 3 right now and is training some level 4 skills and will most likely be level 4 next year.

She really wants to go next summer but I'm also really struggling with the is it worth it question.

We're letting her do the Thanksgiving clinic at IGC next month so we can get a feel for it and see if she likes it. I'm sure it's not the same as camp but we thought it may be worth it. I don't know of any other good camps in my area.

A girl that goes to my gym's friend who goes to a gym in melbourne (AUS) went there this yr! she said it cost alot because of the cost of the plane and such but that it was worth it. shawn johnson and jana bieger coached her and taught her some new skills on beam and bars. she also got their autographs and pics :) she said the food was great and she had soooo much fun, she met lots of new friends :) i would def go but the plane ticket alone is a couple of thousand :/ goodluck :)

Daughter who is 10 level6 this year went this past summer for the first time. She did get alittle home sick but had fun. I think it was the kind of thing where she had to get it out of her system. The gymnastics part was alright they do a lot of spotting and I do not think they get many skills. The part where I thought it was well worth the money if you go during a celebrity week. Daughter went when Nastia Luiken was there and she got to be coached by her we have some great pics although very pricey of Nastia coaching my daughter on the beam. She also raved about the food she is a very picky eater and she loved meeting both gymnasts and coaches from all over. I know I could not afford this every year I think it was a good experience for her. The money is probally not worth it if you are looking to improve your gymnastics let's face it how much progress could you get in a week, but it is worth it for the socail aspect in my opinion.

The only way I would send her back to IGC is if it was half the cost. If we weren't moving to Texas, I would look into the week at Penn State.[/QUOTE]

Sunobo,
The "week" at Penn State isn't a week any more. They have two back-to-back 3-day sessions. If you sign up for both sessions, it actually ends up being more expensive than the week my daughter spent at Woodward. I also worried a bit about supervision. I never thoroughly researched it but stuff in the literature that said things like "Girls must be back in their dorm by 10pm" made me a bit worried... my daughter was 9! I'm sure, if they take 4th graders, there must be decent supervision, but the literature didn't make it sound that way. I have also heard that there are very long lines to use the equiptment there, but I honestly have no idea how that compares to Woodward or IGC. Regardless, I was much more comfortable with my daughter wandering the Woodward campus than I would have been with her wandering the Penn State campus (even though it's my 'Alma Mater').

My dd wants to go as well. From all the other posters, I gather it is a lot of fun, with emphasis on fun. The gymnastics part sounds a little weaker. I can understand why they may do a lot of spotting. Having seen the girls and evaluating them over a very short time, it is hard gauge the true ability of the gymnast. So, I guess they err on the side of caution. So, as the other posters have indicated, if money is not an option, and improving gymnastics skills is not a requirement, then I guess it is worth it.

My DD went to a gym camp at Southeast Missouri State University (SEMO) and had a great time. It was about half the cost of IGC and no olympic gymnasts were there but she got some excellent coaching and came home totally revved up to go back to her own gym to show them what she had learned. This may be an option for you.

The only way I would send her back to IGC is if it was half the cost. If we weren't moving to Texas, I would look into the week at Penn State.

Sunobo,
The "week" at Penn State isn't a week any more. They have two back-to-back 3-day sessions. If you sign up for both sessions, it actually ends up being more expensive than the week my daughter spent at Woodward. I also worried a bit about supervision. I never thoroughly researched it but stuff in the literature that said things like "Girls must be back in their dorm by 10pm" made me a bit worried... my daughter was 9! I'm sure, if they take 4th graders, there must be decent supervision, but the literature didn't make it sound that way. I have also heard that there are very long lines to use the equiptment there, but I honestly have no idea how that compares to Woodward or IGC. Regardless, I was much more comfortable with my daughter wandering the Woodward campus than I would have been with her wandering the Penn State campus (even though it's my 'Alma Mater').[/QUOTE]

My almost 11 y/o dd has gone to Penn State's camp for the last 2 years. Her first year she was going into 4th grade. She is very mature for her age but I admit I was nervous sending her as it was a little over 3 hours away, but she went with one of her best friends and her friend's cousin who lived in that area. The do a very good job of keeping tabs on all the girls, but especially the younger ones. They have coaches that stay on each floor in the dorms with the girls. They all walk to meals, the gym, activities as a group and this includes wake up calls. My daughter had no problems and enjoyed feeling like a big girl staying in a college dorm with her best friend, eating at the cafeteria:) It is only 4 days 3 nights but the itinerary is sent to you upon registration and it is jam-packed. She was able to work on her giants this year and overcome her fear because they had a foam pit which her gym does not. It is well run, well organized and I would let her return. AND cheaper than IGC;)

My almost 11 y/o dd has gone to Penn State's camp for the last 2 years. Her first year she was going into 4th grade. She is very mature for her age but I admit I was nervous sending her as it was a little over 3 hours away, but she went with one of her best friends and her friend's cousin who lived in that area. The do a very good job of keeping tabs on all the girls, but especially the younger ones. They have coaches that stay on each floor in the dorms with the girls. They all walk to meals, the gym, activities as a group and this includes wake up calls. My daughter had no problems and enjoyed feeling like a big girl staying in a college dorm with her best friend, eating at the cafeteria:) It is only 4 days 3 nights but the itinerary is sent to you upon registration and it is jam-packed. She was able to work on her giants this year and overcome her fear because they had a foam pit which her gym does not. It is well run, well organized and I would let her return. AND cheaper than IGC;)[/QUOTE]

Good to hear! Penn State is even closer to us than Woodward (though I think my dd is hooked on Woodward now) so it's something to keep in mind! Thanks for the info!

DD went to IGC for one week this past summer and had the time of her life! Granted, when you are only 10 that is not too hard!:)

What she loved was the chance to try new skill - she went in a strong L4 and worked on flyaways, back tucks, front tuck dismounts fromt the beam. Her confidence level soared! Maybe a little too much?

Still, she came back from camp completely in love with the sport and is more motivated than ever. She went solo and still had lots of fun, but thought it would be better with more team mates.

While there is an emphasis on fun, there is also a big emphasis on safety and that was important to me. I know we all are cautious parents, but she is my first born and I tend to be overly cautious and this gym was able to put my fears to rest.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back