Parents IKEA balance beam? Thinking of purchasing

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymmummy

Proud Parent
Hi I'm thinking of purchasing the Ikea balance bench for my 3.5 year old. She is currently trying to climb on window ledges pretending they are the beam.... think if I hit her this she can practice safely, it's very affordable does anyone have one?
We are also thinking of getting her a trampoline for her 4th birthday as she is constantly jumping on the beds/furniture!

The IKEA thing - useless for anything gymnastics related.
Trampoline - worst thing ever for the home. Dangerous, bad habits, injuries, etc.

Gymnastics training needs to stay at the gym. Strength/flexibility training at home is fine, but that is where it needs to stop. Unless a parent is a trained gymnastics coach, you need to leave gymnastics skill training at a facility with the proper equipment and trained instructors.

Furthermore, home needs to be the place a kid goes when gymnastics training is over; not the place to go to do more training. There needs to be some down time.

Good Luck

There are some compromises that are more appropriate for a kid her age. Gymnastics equipment in the house isn't always the best idea, but neither is climbing and bouncing all over the furniture. If you really want a beam, I would recommend a soft folding floor beam instead of anything raised off of the ground or wooden. Something like this perhaps...
https://www.amazon.com/Z-Athletic-G..._UL160_SR160,160_&refRID=MQ5HDBTB5FGGCK1S6KY6

Also instead of a full size trampoline at her age, one of the small ones with the handles for jumping might be more suitable for her, a way to burn off energy but small enough that she won't be tempted to tumble on it.
http://www.toysrus.com/buy/trampolines/3-foot-trampoline-630354m-20345026

Of course she will have to still be closely supervised when using either one, so keep that in mind. With that being said, the use of a beam can be beneficial for a child her age even one who isn't in gymnastics. I noticed when my son went for a physical therapy evaluation as a baby that they used small beams as part of the therapy for toddlers and preschoolers to help them with their balance and coordination. Try to stay away from letting her do any kind of acro on the home beam and just let it be for fun at home if you choose to buy one.

Cause Ikea has a long standing history in producing gymnastic equipment.

My daughter used our free standing couch as a balance beam at 2.

I told her to stop it because it wasn't safe and we joined a Mommy and me gymnastics class.............. and so it went. L6 and doing OK, no home equipment.

I would recommend to either build a beam, or find one on Craigslist. I've looked and looked on Craigslist daily, and after about a month, I found a beam and adjustable bar from the same seller for $150. It was a dream come true. I literally called in sick to work, dropped off kids at grandma's, and drove 40 mins to pick those up. To my surprise, they even found the 12" risers for the beam and gave them to me for free. So my number one choice would be to buy a real beam, just kee looking on Craigslist. I understand that there is a debate about having gym equipment at home, but I have to say that my kids only practice what they have already learned, and we have seen so much progress. My daughter struggles with balance on the beam, and having it at home has helped her a lot.

Another option is a diy beam, just google for instructions. You can make one for under $30. I was going to make my husband do it, but finally found a used beam to buy.

IKEA is a great place for funky furniture, various uses of the Lingonberry and tasty Swedish meatballs. Gymnastics equipment, not so much.
I heard another parent say the same thing. Their kid was walk on the tops of their couches, tables, everything. Finally, he purchased a balance beam

Last edited by a moderator:

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back