WAG Illinois L3 State Meet is super LATE this year...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

notthatmom

Proud Parent
So last season it was end of march/first week of April, this year it isn't until the first weekend in May! Meaning they have like a month and a half from their last qualifying meet until state. Seems weird doesn't it? The rest of the levels have their state meets all in March....anyone know why this may be?
Just curious.

Speculating (no insider knowledge here...at all, lol) I think it may be to prioritize the levels which move on from State meets (to Regionals, Easterns & Nationals), giving them more time between State and the rest of their season. Level 3 is over at State, having it early isn't necessary for anyone.

Other levels have had month long (or longer) waits between last regular season meets and State meets before as well in Illinois so that isn't weird.

I knowwwwwwwwwwww. Ugh. It's going to be a long wait from March until May. Xcel states are even a month before level 3!

The meet season for our level 3's is now Oct-May which seems very long!

I knowwwwwwwwwwww. Ugh. It's going to be a long wait from March until May. Xcel states are even a month before level 3!

The meet season for our level 3's is now Oct-May which seems very long!
It seems crazy long! Except there are no meets (other than states and regionals for other levels) between like mid march and the end of April, so it's like there's a weird break in the middle.

Where I am we don't have the Xcel state meet until late May- it's rough! Fortunately we do have a few invitationals in April to get us up to that point, but it makes for a painfully long season.

Where I am we don't have the Xcel state meet until late May- it's rough! Fortunately we do have a few invitationals in April to get us up to that point, but it makes for a painfully long season.

That's how it was last season- level 3 states were in April, and Xcel in May, they flip flopped them. Having the last invitational meet in March then no states until May is going to be tough!

That's how it was last season- level 3 states were in April, and Xcel in May, they flip flopped them. Having the last invitational meet in March then no states until May is going to be tough!
By about April my kids are ready to be done with routines and move on to new skills, and that's with a mid April invitational. I can't imagine getting them to stay focused for states for over a month with no meets.

By about April my kids are ready to be done with routines and move on to new skills, and that's with a mid April invitational. I can't imagine getting them to stay focused for states for over a month with no meets.
With states so late, why does the season have to start so ealrl? Can a gym choose to not do any meets until like January? This would still be a long season, but not as long as starting in November.

I am really appreciating how it's done in my state. Compulsory season is Sept to Nov. Optionals is January to April/May (Depends on level, it's only May for those levels that have nationals.)

I wonder if some gyms will just skip it? Maybe just not focus on routines for several weeks and then get back to is about 2 weeks out?

A late state meet is nothing new in Illinois. For many years the level 5 meet was the late one. The gyms know how to handle it. It's a bit of a drag but the gym that my girls attend just starting uptraining while waiting for the meet. They'd go back to practicing their routines a couple of weeks before.

Is there a separate state meet for level 3, 4 and 5 (like a state meet for just level 3s, then one for level 4s, etc..??). Our compulsory state meet is held on one weekend in December and is for levels 3-5. Do some states do each level on a different date/weekend??

Is there a separate state meet for level 3, 4 and 5 (like a state meet for just level 3s, then one for level 4s, etc..??). Our compulsory state meet is held on one weekend in December and is for levels 3-5. Do some states do each level on a different date/weekend??

This year ( in Illinois) levels 4 and 5 have their state meet together, in March. Level 3 is by itself in May. Last year 3/5 States were combined and 4 was by itself.

A late state meet is nothing new in Illinois. For many years the level 5 meet was the late one. The gyms know how to handle it. It's a bit of a drag but the gym that my girls attend just starting uptraining while waiting for the meet. They'd go back to practicing their routines a couple of weeks before.
I think late state meets are pretty common for the bigger states, they just have too many kids to combine multiple levels like the smaller states can. It's annoying, but there really isn't any other way around it. I do what your gym does with my kids and let them have periods of uptraining between meets and before states to give them a break from routines, but it's still a drag.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back