I'm Dr.Coach, Psy.D - and it's my first day!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

hi all,

new member here.

I just found this site - i think it's great! lot's of info!

I'm Dr.Coach, Psy.D

I coach gymnastics on a very limited basis (2 or 3 hours a week). Though i have all of the certifications, I volunteer my time in the gym. I love spending time with the kids and watching them build self-confidence in the gym.

Professionally, I'm the director of inpatient/residential services for a behavioral health hospital that provides care for those suffering from eating disorders or self-injury (or both). It takes up the majority of my time - when i'm not in the office, i'm on-call. I also see patients in a colleague's private practice.

It's my day off (kind of) so I'm hoping to find some fun drills for the kids for this week. Maybe a really awesome team building exercise (game)...

looking forward to getting to know more of you,

Welcome to the Chalkbucket. You sound like you have your hands full, that must be quite a challenging field of work.

What age/level gymnasts do you coach, maybe then some of our great coaches could point you towards the right kind of fun stuff.

I am from Quebec, but the site owner/admin is from the MIdwest too.

thanks! And yes, my work is definitely quite challenging, but I do really love what i do. I have to admit, though: coaching gymnastics is a really awesome way for me to break up my week! I have a really great group of kids to work with and I really enjoy being able to be in their lives and being able to help them have a blast in the gym and build confidence and self esteem.

When I'm in the gym, I'm usually with some team kids, and sometimes spend some time with the pre-comp team. The team kids I'm with are Level 4, 5, and 6 ranging in age from 5 to 12 depending on what level/time/day...when i'm with pre-comp, those are kids age 5-10 working on level 3 and 4.

An admin from the midwest? Awesome!!

Welcome! Your work sounds very interestingI am involved with treatment foster care and enjoy the challenges and successes of helping youth thru difficult circumstances in their lives. Also a gym mom with a 10 year old prov level 5 Ontario girl and a 7 yr old gal who can't wait to go to gym more than once per week. Enjoy the site!

Hi,

Sounds like you have a lot of helpful experience to contribute to the board. Hope you enjoy it here.

Welcome! It amazes me how many coaches do it as a second job because they love doing it. It's got to be a nice break from your regular job too :).

Hello and welcome! Ya know if I had my own kids, you are exactly the kind of coach I would want them to have! I have my MA in psych myself, and will start coaching too eventually. I always thought it would be wonderful for gymnastics coaches to have some background in psychology, so the athletes emotional development is always kept in mind when doing this sport!

~Katy

Thanks to all of you. I'm hoping to continue to get to know more of you. I'd like to be able to be more active on the CB, but sometimes, time doesn't allow...I apologize in advance if I post something and then don't reply for a while...;)

Hello and welcome! Ya know if I had my own kids, you are exactly the kind of coach I would want them to have! I have my MA in psych myself, and will start coaching too eventually. I always thought it would be wonderful for gymnastics coaches to have some background in psychology, so the athletes emotional development is always kept in mind when doing this sport!

~Katy

I definitely appreciate that! I really love being able to be in the gym. From a professional standpoint, I really feel that it's important to keep the athlete's emotional development in check. (not just in gymnastics, but in all sports) Now, having said that, I'm not running a therapy group when I'm coaching!! lol! :D I also think it's important that the gymnasts are learning that proper exercise and nutrition are key to their long term wellness - not just their experience as an athlete.

Hi & welcome! You seem like a very interesting person that has a lot of great information to share. I look forward to all of your input on here. I am fascinated with the description of your job. I have a Bachelor's in Psych. I hope to further my education so I can help children and teen's that need psych attention. Anyway...enjoy CB:)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back