Off Topic I'm going to be a teacher! (wardrobe advice please?!)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

LucyTRA

Coach
Gymnast
Judge
I found out 2 weeks ago that I got accepted onto a PGCE course that starts in 2 weeks! I'm so excited and nervous at the same time.

It's for primary schools so I will be working with mostly 5-11 year olds and I will be speicalising in inclusive special needs education.

I will go on placement pretty soon after the start of the course, after about 6 weeks. I have NO IDEA what primary school teachers wear. I don't really remember what my teachers wore when I was that age but I have pictures and there were a lot of dodgy skirt suits and hippy dresses. I'm not up for that look.... I'm 21 and would like to look like it! What would you do??

I can't imagine wearing trackies at school unless I was teaching PE, do they really do that?! I'm a dresses kind of girl but not flowy and flowery! I look awful in trousers and basically live in short dresses (with leggings), long tops (with leggings) and skinny jeans. culture shock coming my way quite soon i think!!

I say wear whatever you're comfortable in! I mean, no short skirts without leggings or anything, lol, but other than that? At 21, I'm sure you have enough confidence to pull off your own style.

My best friend is studying to be an elementary school teacher and went on placement earlier this year. She just wore whatever she would normally wear. No one complained!

It depends on the school. Some schools are not keen on very casual clothes such as jeans, track pants and shorts. Ideally wear something practical and comfortable but still reasonably smart. I'd go for leggings and long tops, or smart pants.

I teach that age range in Canada. I'd have a look at what your principal wears. Is it casual or more formal? Then plan outfits from there. Good luck!

Congrats!
I'm not a teacher, but I do work in a school. Professional but comfortable/sensible is sort of my theme. Make sure to keep dresses/skirts at a reasonable length or with leggings or thicker tights underneath as little hands easily find their way to your legs and up your skirts :confused: There is also quite a bit of bending down, sitting on the floor, and stepping over kids on the floor, so clothes that will keep you covered in all situations are ideal! There is a student teacher in my building currently who barely covers her bum which is unprofessional at best, but also a recipe for disaster in working with 5 year olds!
I wear lots of knee length, A-line skirts with either a tucked in blouse or cardigan. I also do a lot of knee-length, knit dresses- they are professional but also are stretchy and easy to move around in. I have about 3-4 that I change up with different leggings or cardigans over top.

Congrats!
I'm not a teacher, but I do work in a school. Professional but comfortable/sensible is sort of my theme. Make sure to keep dresses/skirts at a reasonable length or with leggings or thicker tights underneath as little hands easily find their way to your legs and up your skirts :confused: There is also quite a bit of bending down, sitting on the floor, and stepping over kids on the floor, so clothes that will keep you covered in all situations are ideal! There is a student teacher in my building currently who barely covers her bum which is unprofessional at best, but also a recipe for disaster in working with 5 year olds!
I wear lots of knee length, A-line skirts with either a tucked in blouse or cardigan. I also do a lot of knee-length, knit dresses- they are professional but also are stretchy and easy to move around in. I have about 3-4 that I change up with different leggings or cardigans over top.
Yes, definitely c.y.a.....lol

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back