Coaches Im still baffled

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gotgym

Coach/Proud Parent
Coach
Proud Parent
Ok Coaches ..Ive seen some talented kiddos and some kids that just work plan hard however ,today was a first for me.. We had a tryout for preteam with the pre team coach.. Our preteamers are on average 6-8yrs old. This child was 4 and didnt even look that. We dont really allow 4 yrolds in this class but the owner said ok to a tryout. The preteam coach called me over. She blew away the preteamers on every event with form and decent technique. She did roundoff backhandspring besides all the level 3 skills pretty accurately.. At the end of the class I pulled her on the side and had someone show her a press . She did 3 up and down from the straddle sit and holding the last one. I was amazed by her focus and attention. I will be talking to the mom and explaining the whole marathon/sprint . Though I loved everything she did Id be worried about her burning out at 6.. Thoughts??

Well, the first thing I would do is find out where she learned it all. If it was mom or dad,,,, then you potentially have an uphill battle. If it was through your program or another then congrats! :)

Please limit her back walk overs and back handsprings and make sure her parents don't allow them at home. Look up back problems on the board and you'll see why.

Yep, I know you say her form is good, but I'd slow right down on skills and get the basics perfect. No bhs and limited bwo.

Conditioning, flexibility and body shapes.

I'd also not have her in the gym more than once/twice a week until she's 6. If she's that talented it won't slow her down and will prevent burn out and injury.

Explain to mom you think she's amazing, but want to take it slow for a year or two, as you'll want to really start working with her then. Suggest she takes the kid to dance classes and has her learn to swim in the meantime :). and takes holidays, and gets saving!

She just moved to the area from out of state . She was in a small program allowed to be practicing with their level 3 team .

You'll definitely have to watch the numbers of walkovers and handsprings with her, but I see no reason why she shouldn't train with the appropriate skill level on team. She's already been doing this at her old gym and she seemed happy, right? If she shows any sign of it being too much, back off the number of days/intensity. I've coached a handful of kids like this and they thrived when placed with team kids at the appropriate skill level. Obviously reinforce correct shapes and perfection of basics, but you have to challenge her too, or she'll get bored. Ideally she'd be in some sort of developmental group of other young, super talented kids, but if your gym doesn't have that (most don't), put her with the Level 3s, skip working any routines until she's old enough to compete, and just work skills/shaping. And then be ready, because she may move through levels very fast. Who knows, you may have a future elite on your hands. :)

This is a tough situation. I would let her do a lower hours preteam group and limit everything to a soft surface. Will she be 5 soon? If so, hopefully she could compete in the 2016-2017 season.

I wasnt sure shed sign up with us after our chat but,she did. I showed the mom our last years Diamond level and Tops A kids and explained she may be on that path but, at 4 its hard to tell. Right now shes with a preteam and we are taking our time with her. Shes an exceptional kid and has amazing focus at this age. Whether shes with us or somewhere else Id hate for her to burn out in a few years.

I had a 4 YO like that once! She had no previous gymnastics experience, but was extremely strong, flexible and focused. I was evaluating her because I needed some kids for our hot shot-type program and she had such incredible muscle definition. I had someone show her a backwards roll and she accidentally popped it up to a back extension roll with pretty decent shape/form. Pretty much any skill I had someone do she could watch a few times and do herself including a spotted back handspring. She advanced to actual team at 4.5 and although we babied her young body she moved up quickly (7 year old L7). I moved out of state and lost track of her, but later learned she got a full-ride scholarship in track. I wish I knew the details of why she switched sports. For the time I worked with her, she was an absolute pleasure and never ceased to amaze me.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back