Parents Importance of dance

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

sheplaysinthechalk

Coach
Proud Parent
Judge
I'm just wondering - and I didn't really know which forum would be appropriate for this - so I'm posting it here.

Is dance a highly recommended addition to gymnastics training?
Is it totally necessary?

At dd's gym, there is no dance program. There is a local studio, but they are quietly considered "competition" to our gym. You know - the competition that is not dare mentioned in the presence of the gym owners....

The studio offers tumbling, but not gymnastics. Since dd competes tumbling, I'm guessing *I* would be imposing sort of a conflict of interest situation on everyone by signing her up for dance.

The situation is that dd wants to take dance. She's been asking me for a while. I just keep kind of blowing it off - but am NOT against her taking dance. In fact, I would LOVE for her to take dance. I honestly feel that it will only HELP her in her gymnastics.

Any recommendations on what-to-do???

I think she's at a good age now to start dance, and I do feel that it could be an important part of her gymnastics. I'm just not really sure how to get her involved in dance at this point in time since it would involve frequenting another gym....

suggestions anyone?

I wouldn't see a conflict. Your daughter wants to dance. They are a dance studio near you. Unless there are others near you that are comparable, what else can you do? Your DDs gym has chosen not to offer dance, so if she wants to dance, she has to go somewhere else.

I think dance helps them learn choreography, grace, better form (well if it is ballet) etc. If she wants to do it, I would find somewhere she can. :D

Our 1st gym offered no dance class or training for any of their team girls. Current gym has all pre-team and team girls do 1 hour of ballet/week. It does help with flexibility, posture and overall look.

Your dd wants to try a dance class. Well those are usually offered at dance studios and many times the beginning dance class is not all that intense. Its for fun and to try something new. From what I understand they don't get into the serious ballet classes until they've had some basics. If the dance studio that is seen as competition is the only one around then you don't have any option. Should anyone ask, tell them she is there trying a dance class only.

I wouldn't really see dance as a conflict either. I put my dd in a ballet class just because she had been doing cheer for 3 years and that is all she knew. Needless to say, when she started gymnastics the dance moves were very sharp and cheer-like! She had no grace whatsoever and I figured ballet would help her with the beam and floor routines. So far, the ballet classes have helped tremendously with her grace, leaps and turns. And plus it is something a bit different than gymnastics so it gives her a fun break.

Dance definitely helps with gymnastics. The girls who score high on floor and beam are usually the ones who can dance. I had my dd take ballet at one point - she really needed it as she was dancily challenged - then her gym started incorporating ballet into practice so that made it easier. I don't really see why a dance studio and gymnastics would be in competition. If that is the easiest place for you to take her I would - you're not leaving the gym for it - she just wants to dance - I see nothing wrong with that.

I would sign her up for dance, I bet she would love it! I wouldnt worry about there being a conflict, especially since your gym doesnt offer a dance program. I think that she would have a lot of fun and it would help with her gymnastics too.
My daughter used to attend a dance class at a local studio and we just switched her to a dance class at our gym complex because she wanted to dance with her gym friends. :)

okay, so I kind of discussed this with another parent at our gym tonight...I'll get to that part in a minute...

This particular studio that i'm talking about offers competitive tumbling through AAU and USTA. They also offer dance. They are the only dance studio within 45 miles of here that i am aware of. And, they are a very reputable team as far as dance. Their tumbling is more known for training up and competing down...for example, our neighbor is nailing several whips in a row, tucks, layouts and fulls, but competes sub-novice tumbling (the same level that dd competes. dd is 5, neighbor girls is 12) which is RO 2, and RO 3 Back handsprings...

Anyway, though dd is in gymnastics, she is also very actively competes in the USTA and AAU tumbling meets. We compete at all that our gym signs up for. She loves it.

I'm just afraid that the conflict of interest lies here - with the tumbling. I'm not concerned that there will be an issue with gymnastics. The dance studio doesn't offer gymnastics, only tumbling. And our gym offers gymnastics and tumbling, but no dance.

About the conversation with the other parent: This lady tells me that she inquired about dance when her daughter was dd's age. She swears that the only classes offered for children under 6 is a dance/tumble combo class and that they learn basics in dance and practice front/back rolls, cartwheels, roundoffs, and bridges. I don't know about this. I'll have to call and find out for myself. She also tells me that they are VERY strict with the age limit and will not allow any child under 6 into their other classes. Why? I have no idea. And i'm not sure why they wouldn't offer something other than combo...That's their buisness, though, not mine.

I'm just thinking that if dd is doing combo class (dance/tumble) then A...she might get conflicting information from different coaching styles regarding her tumbling. I would hate to confuse her. And B...she really doesn't (IMHO) need to practice cartwheels, roundoffs, or front and back rolls. Not that those skills are not all important things, but...she's got a pretty good handle on those things.:rolleyes:

My dd always took dance from the time she was 2 until this last summer. Sadly we have not had the time to continue, but after a lot of begging - If we can fit a ballet class in we will be starting in Jan. She misses ballet so much. I think it can be awesome for gymnastics, but so far all of her classes have been fun, and mostly just basics along with learning and memorizing recital routines. I was told to wait until 7 or 8 for anything a little more serious. My best friend is a ballerina :D and has also been dd's danced instructor.

Dance classes for 4, 5 & 6 yrs old are meant to only be fun classes - believe me an hour of ballet can be quite boring for many littles :D even if they have been in a structured gym setting... combo classes at this age are pretty much the norm.

Is it possible that maybe they offer a ballet/tap combo class or a ballet/jazz combo class as opposed to tumbling? I can see why you may feel this is a conflict... but a dance combo would be a lot of fun!

DD started dance when she was 2 along with Gymnastics. When she got invited to the invitation only class I had to make her choose. Now each summer they have 2 months of dance along with regular training. They have two hours a week. I have to say it helps them a lot. We don't do dance training through out the rest of the season but the summer. Many of our girls do take dance but I just can't work it in with my son's schedule too.

Okay. I put a call in. Waiting for the dance studio to get back with me.

I've come to a conclusion, i think...

This is not about the gym owners, or their opinion of the other tumble/dance studio. This is also not about what other parents may perceive as "crossing the line by not being loyal to our gym." This is not about being a "gym-jumper," (i think that was the term that one parent in particular used). And this is definitely NOT about "taking my daughter over to the "dark side" (this tumble/dance studio is commonly referred to as).

some people - i swear.:mad: ...

This is really only about the fact that my daughter is asking me to take dance lessons, and this is our closest option. I'm past wondering if it will be okay. If for some reason it isn't okay, I'll deal with it when that time comes. Dance will only benefit her. All i really care about is that it's fun for her AND that she's learnining. ESPECIALLY at her age. And WHO cares if she does beginner skills during the tumbling????? I was just concerned that she would be bored, but really thinking about it, i don't think it will be boring at all. She'll probably love it - since there's NO pressure. She can do those things with all of the confidence in the world. And, as far as I'm concerned, those skills can only be helpful.

Something i've noticed about dance schools that practice tumbling or pre-gym:

Dance schools don't typically have spring floors. They have fan-fold mats that are 1.5" thick (if that) which are layed atop hard concrete floors. Now, i'm not a coach, but in my eyes, i'm thinking this may be fine for beginner tumbling, forward rolls, and cartwheels etc. Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the more advanced tumbling skills (handsprings, tucks, aerials, etc), require more protection? Meaning, More then fan-fold mats offer to be minimally safe?

Even if the school doesn't teach higher level tumbling skills, If your DD CAN do the tricks, odd's are - she will. And at her own risk (or Peril).

I would imagine shin splints, turned / sprained ancles, etc. more frequent at a dance school then a gymnastics gym.

I could be wrong. But I'd rather be wrong on the side of being safe.

Last edited:
Is there a Y or a Dept of Recreation program nearby where your DD could take just a ballet class? then she gets her dance class and there could be no possible conflict of interest.

Okay. I put a call in. Waiting for the dance studio to get back with me.

This is not about the gym owners, or their opinion of the other tumble/dance studio. This is also not about what other parents may perceive as "crossing the line by not being loyal to our gym." This is not about being a "gym-jumper," (i think that was the term that one parent in particular used). And this is definitely NOT about "taking my daughter over to the "dark side" (this tumble/dance studio is commonly referred to as).

some people - i swear.:mad: ...

This is really only about the fact that my daughter is asking me to take dance lessons, and this is our closest option. I'm past wondering if it will be okay. If for some reason it isn't okay, I'll deal with it when that time comes. Dance will only benefit her. All i really care about is that it's fun for her AND that she's learnining. ESPECIALLY at her age. And WHO cares if she does beginner skills during the tumbling????? I was just concerned that she would be bored, but really thinking about it, i don't think it will be boring at all. She'll probably love it - since there's NO pressure. She can do those things with all of the confidence in the world. And, as far as I'm concerned, those skills can only be helpful.

I would hope that the gym wouldn't have an issue with it. You are taking her there for dance, a service they don't offer and a service that you can't get anywhere but at the other studio. She is a little girl who wants to take dance, shouldn't be a big deal.

I take my DDs to a competitor gym (her old gym actually) once a month usually for their preschool open gym. Her gym doesn't offer anything during the day or any open gym for preschoolers, so we go there. Doesn't mean I am not loyal to my gym, but there is no where else that offers that service. My little one gets to do "gynnasics" and my big one gets to jump and do flips into the pit over and over and over. If my gym had a problem with it, I would be very irritated. These are little kids we are talking about. What is the big deal?

Even if the school doesn't teach higher level tumbling skills, If your DD CAN do the tricks, odd's are - she will. And at her own risk (or Peril).

I could be wrong. But I'd rather be wrong on the side of being safe.

Yes, this did cross my mind. And you are correct. I am a bit familiar with their tumble tactics for little ones. And, with my dd's age she'll probably not be doing anything more than cartwheels, roundoffs and rolls. They have a very strict age/skill thing going on there - most of the skills that dd does wouldn't be allowed in class.

This studio actually has 2 locations. One is their dance studio, one is their gym for tumbling only. The children under 6 all tumble in the "gym" at the dance studio. ages 7 and up tumble on the rod floors and tumble trak at the other location.

Unfortunately, there is no YMCA dance program here. We do have a rec center, but the classes are 30 minutes once a week for four weeks - once a year.

I think dance really helps with gymnastics and getting in front of the audience and performing. My daughter has been doing dance she she has been 2, last year she really missed it because the days conflicted with gymnastics and I signed her up a different studio for hip hop but she really missed her old dance teacher and fortunately it worked out where she is at her old studio this year. Both she and I are very happy, her teacher is my old dance teacher's daughter and she teaches combination classes of ballet tap jazz and hip hop, they do 3 separate numbers in the show and she has put my daughter in 2 other numbers with the other class, daughter is thrilled she is making up for lost time last year. The dance is fun for her because it is strictly for show no competition and this gives her a break from the strictness of gymnastics. When I told daughters head coach that I was happy about the schedule so she could go back to dance she seemed happy.Did you approach the coach about her taking dance lessons from the other place, maybe there is another place where she can take dance, I know sometimes schools or community centers or YMCA offer dance. Since dance is a part of gymnastics I can not imagine the coaches being againest her taking dance except maybe acrodance and tumbling.

Coming into the conversation late here, but just catching up after all the holiday crazies. My oldest dd has done dance since 2nd grade. Our gym has a private dance studio in the building and I must say the cooperation is great. The dance classes are scheduled on gym off days for the girls that do both and my dd loves it. My youngest the basketball player also takes a tap class there, previously she tried ballet and hiphop. Besides the fact that both girls love dance, it has been very helpful in my gymnasts case. And as said earlier the performance aspect is always a plus.

On the other hand, a team family had done dance at another, more formal dance studio in the area, and they found that the dance program was more demanding and their daughter could not do both activities. I guess it depends on the studio and the intensity of the program. I find it to be a plus that the girls are having a great time. I just got the girls dance performances up on youtube for their family out of town. You can see what they do.

Good luck in your decision.

This is not about the gym owners, or their opinion of the other tumble/dance studio. This is also not about what other parents may perceive as "crossing the line by not being loyal to our gym." This is not about being a "gym-jumper," (i think that was the term that one parent in particular used). And this is definitely NOT about "taking my daughter over to the "dark side" (this tumble/dance studio is commonly referred to as)...

This is really only about the fact that my daughter is asking me to take dance lessons, and this is our closest option.

Here, here! Sounds like you've come to a final decision. Congratulations! I think you made the right one.

Taking dance is a great addition to gymnastics. It doesn't seem that studio focuses on dance, therefore I'm not sure it is the place to go. Most dance studios start classes at age 3 and it is usually a ballet dance combo class, not tumbling. I'm not sure if the tumbling combo class would be beneficial and does create a conflict.

To Sheplaysinchalk:

I'm late to this conversation as well, but I agree with your conclusion re: the dance issue. She WANTS to dance. Period. End of discussion and you're done with it. Just make sure you've done your homework (sounds like you already have) before you commit to the class. I bet she'll love it, and it will only improve her gymnastics as well.

SIGH - - I wish our gym offered a dance class for our girls. I'd LOVE to sign DD up for dance, but as it is, she's in 8th grade (LOTS of homework) and she goes to the gym M, W, TH and Sat. I don't know how she'd fit in a separate dance class... does anyone offere classes on Sundays??? :D

-Lynn

Last edited:
I'm getting pretty frustrated with this whole thing to be honest.

I called the dance studio and waited for a call back. When they returned the call, they told me that they would be more than happy to extend an invitation to my dd to join their program - IF WE WOULD CONSIDER A CHANGE IN HER TRAINING ALTOGETHER.

??????? :eek: ???????

The woman explained to me that it isn't advisable for a child her age to receive instruction from two different styles of coaching (referring to their tumble program - which is part of the combo class)... she told me that they strongly recommend only doing one studio - not both. basically, the only way that they will allow her to take classes is if we stop doing gymnastics. To me, i don't really think that's an option. My dd LOVES gymnastics and I really feel like it's done some wonderful things for her. I don't understand WHY it's not okay to do dance at a studio where there is no gymnastics equipment whatsoever, and at the same time do gymnastics at a club that doesn't offer a dance program. To me, they are separate. And to be frank - from a business aspect - I'm not really sure WHY they aren't willing to look past the other club and just take my money???? They are just completely turning away business, really. I don't get the point. Really, this is a child that is caught in the middle.

Anyway, I'm pretty upset about it - and not really sure what to do. I guess I could just call them back, and have another conversation but, maybe I should just look into something else - or perhaps, just lay the matter to rest for a while.....

***huge sigh***

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back