WAG Improving tumbling at home

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hi, I was wondering some ways to improve tumbling at home without actually tumbling. It was fine until a few a months ago, but my parents realized I’m getting a bit too big to practice in the empty room upstairs. I can still practice walkovers/handstands in there but anything that requires running or a shoulder block is not going to happen considering the size of me (these growth spurts are not helping me with gymnastics…..my hamstrings tightened up again and I lost my splits as well )

Then I tried the the basement, since it’s empty for the most part and there’s plenty of room there. Problem is, the flooring is laminate and it hurts my ankles too much, even with a mat. I don’t want to get injured just for gymnastics…not to mention it’s pretty scary to tumble on a hard floor. It’ll be a good 2 months before the snow melts here, so it’ll be a while before I can do my tumbling outside. I only have practice twice I week….I don’t want to lose my front handspring round off and the height in my almost-aerial. Are there any specific drills/ specific conditioning moves I can do at to improve at home?
Right now for conditioning I do: 30 sit ups, 30 squats, 30 lunges each leg, 30 jumping lunges, 30 leg lifts, 2 minute plank, 15-20 pushups, 30 v snaps, 30 dead ants (I think that’s what it’s called) 30 chest-to-knee crunch thingies, and if I haven’t collapsed by then I’ll repeat all of that. I’m not sure if my tumbling will get better with just that though. I don’t think my tumbling will improve with just 3 hours of practice a week either. Is there any specific conditioning you’d recommend?

Definitely avoid practising tumbling at home, injuries and bad habits will ensue.

But conditioning at home can be valuable, especially if you have gone through a growth spurt, you need to help your strength catch up to your new height.

The best thing of all would be to talk to your coach about writing a home conditioning program for you. Your coach will have a much better idea than us as to what your individual strengths and weaknesses are.

But you can focus on

Upper body strength - different types of push ups, pull ups, dips, wrist strengthening with water bottles in your hands.

Handstand strength - handstand holds, wall handstands, presses

Core strength - Sit ups, crunches, leg lifts, side sit up, v ups

shaping - holding core shapes, rocking in hollow and arch

leg strength - jumps, squats, lunges, explosive jumps, heel raises

flexibility - make sure you fully warm up before your strength - jumping and getting warm and do light general stretches before doing bigger stretches. Don’t push yourself to the point of pain.

Handstands, press-to-handstand, handstand pirouettes, bridges (really good bridges), bridge walking, all the stretching, planking forever, really good front and back walkovers.

Basically, just perfect the things you can safely work on in your space. Perfecting those fundamental skills will give you the strength and flexibility to tumble when you are on appropriate flooring. Good luck

One more thing, if you have an opportunity to swim, take it! Swimming is the perfect cross-training for gymnastics. It develops core strength, body awareness, and cardiovascular endurance. Depending on your swimming skills, take lessons, swim laps, or join a recreational swim team. It will do wonders for your gymnastics and could save your life someday. Good luck.

One more thing, if you have an opportunity to swim, take it! Swimming is the perfect cross-training for gymnastics. It develops core strength, body awareness, and cardiovascular endurance. Depending on your swimming skills, take lessons, swim laps, or join a recreational swim team. It will do wonders for your gymnastics and could save your life someday. Good luck.
Thank you for your response! My parents really want me to do swimming, so if I do end up doing it’ll be great!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back