Parents In DESPERATE need of some floor music!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Jenn's Jam

Proud Parent
Alright long post! Be prepared!

So this is my first thread on Chalk Bucket but I have been poking around for awhile.. Anyways, So for a little bit of backstory since this is my first thread, I have 3 kids all girls ODD Has been graduated for a year now but she did dance from around 5 to when she graduated (16) my MDD is still in dance she is 14 and she has been doing it since she was 3, so now here's the trouble! My YDD (Just gonna perfer her to my DD since the other 2 do dance and this is a gym forum) Did dance from 3-10 so for around 7 years.

So my YDD decided to start doing gymnastics when she was 10 due to she was always one of the girls at our dance studio who you could tell didn't love the dance, but loved our studios tumbling class. So spring of 2016 she decided to start YMCA REC gymnastics (Big mistake!) so from her dance and tumbling she was the best in her rec class and then we went on summer break and never came back! (all she learned there was a pullover and it wasn't consistent.. Horrible coaching!)

So during that time my YDD was doing a bit of dance but not nearly as much as she used to, so I decided to enroll her in a gym that had recently opened (it was a second gym for a gym that had been around for a long time) and she was in rec from September - March, then got moved to Xcel gold. So she doesnt count the YMCA gymnastics, so she has been doing gymnastics for less then a year.... Alright enough with the backstory!

So here is my problem since its my DD's first time competing she has to compete atleast a meet of silver and score high enough to move to gold, but she may end up just comepeting a season of silver (train with the golds) and just have a strong season next year. But my DD told me on the car ride home from practice today that we had to pick out 3 options for floor music (all the silver have the same floor routine but the head xcel coach (and xcel director ) said that everyone in gold who has to compete a meet/year of silver can have there own routine.

So I already knew we would have to do this but my dd (she is 11) has been looking at stuff for weeks but still hasn't found anything she likes! So I decided to look tonight and neither have I! So here is where I need help cause we need this all figured out in around 2 weeks.
So she is 11 almost 12 and she is mature for here age, she wouldn't want anything classical (for sure) and her floor is about a level 5.

So... Anyone have any recommendations? (And yes I know there is millions of threads on this but it would really help if anyone has any ideas!)

Azara just posted in the WAG forum that she would like to cut floor music. Maybe you can look for that thread and reach out to her to help you find something unique for your daughter. Think she posted on Monday about it.

Sometimes too much choice is overwhelming. Have her coach pick out 3-5 tunes and let her pick from there.

It's always overwhelming picking out music for the first time. I love that some gyms let the girls pick their top 3 choices but with so much out there it's hard. Try to figure out what kind of music might best suit her personality, powerful, whimsical, cute, dramatic etc. and try to look for music she can connect with. We had a couple girls at our gym this year who hated their music and it reflected in their scores. Also we have been told by our coaches to look for music that has some tempo changes as it's easier for choreographing and tumbling passes. This may just be a preference of our coaches though.

We just went through picking out music for my YDD (8) and she had 7, yes 7, top choices that she submitted! She ended up getting one of her top 2, Under the Sea (other was Addams family) but ODD (10) hasn't been so lucky and has not yet got one of her choices (I have loved her music though...mission impossible in Gold and Dead Silence for 7 and 8..I LOVE this one!). Good luck

It's always overwhelming picking out music for the first time. I love that some gyms let the girls pick their top 3 choices but with so much out there it's hard. Try to figure out what kind of music might best suit her personality, powerful, whimsical, cute, dramatic etc. and try to look for music she can connect with. We had a couple girls at our gym this year who hated their music and it reflected in their scores. Also we have been told by our coaches to look for music that has some tempo changes as it's easier for choreographing and tumbling passes. This may just be a preference of our coaches though.

We just went through picking out music for my YDD (8) and she had 7, yes 7, top choices that she submitted! She ended up getting one of her top 2, Under the Sea (other was Addams family) but ODD (10) hasn't been so lucky and has not yet got one of her choices (I have loved her music though...mission impossible in Gold and Dead Silence for 7 and 8..I LOVE this one!). Good luck
Lol, we had different girls use Under the Sea in Gold… Addams Family in Gold… Mission Impossible in Gold… and Dead Silence in Level 6 (all different years).

I was going to say, go to Youtube, type in gymnastics floor music, and just set it up to play while you do other things around the house. When you hear something you like, write it down. Later, go back and listen to those choices, eliminating the ones you don't like as much. You can usually tell within 15 seconds whether or not you like it. Then narrow it down. If you don't want to pirate it off YouTube, you can usually find it at Floor Express Music or one of the other floor music sites to purchase your final choice.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back