Individual Championship Banners for your gym

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I was just curious as to what your gyms policy was on determining what places get banners hung in the gym. I think that our gym goes out to top 3 for All-Around but only 1st place finishes for individual events. I was wondering if any other gyms do go out to top 3 for individual events in addition to the AA. Thanks for any input!

Each level gets a banner with how team placed at states and each team members name. That is something the gym owner wants to acknowledge each girl that competed all season.

On the top part of the banner, anyone who finishes 1st on an event and/or top 3 AA is acknowledged.

Old gym was anyone who placed (got a medal) AA per level, and a different banner for with everyone who was 1st place on events.

Our gym only puts the names of state, regional & national champions on the banners each year. Guess that's why my DD has it in her head that being champion is the only "honorable" win. It has lead to much stress & mind games with her. We all know this line of thinking isn't true...but if that's the only way to get "recognition", what's a kid to think??? I think more placements should go on these banners. The girls are looking at these banners for how many hours a week...thinking I have to be a champion to be up there. Of course for the champions...it does make their accomplishments mean that much more. My DD is quite proud to be getting her 3rd banner:D.

Last edited:
I guess for us it's only 1st place as that is the only place and only at states that I've even seen a banner. We have several and the girls get to sign it that earned it and it hangs in the front entry until the next one is earned (or its 2 seasons old). Then it's retired to the Wall of banners. behind the area where the bleachers are.-

Our gym only puts the names of state, regional & national champions on the banners each year. Guess that's why my DD has it in her head that being champion is the only "honorable" win. It has lead to much stress & mind games with her. We all know this line of thinking isn't true...but if that's the only way to get "recognition", what's a kid to think??? I think more placements should go on these banners. The girls are looking at these banners for how many hours a week...thinking I have to be a champion to be up there. Of course for the champions...it does make their accomplishments mean that much more. My DD is quite proud to be getting her 3rd banner:D.

I hear ya GJM! Since Dani got 2nd on the vault and bars and 5th AA, she doesn't get a banner. She is the only one out of the Level 4 10yos from her team that isn't getting a banner (the other 2 10 yo's placed 2nd and 3rd AA). Now Dani thinks that she didn't do well because she didn't place 1st on anything. It breaks my heart to think that is the way she feels. But since the gym only recognizes 1st place "champions" it leaves the 2nd place finishers in events feeling like they are not good enough. I hate that about this sport!!! Of course, I tell her that she is awesome and did a beautiful job and to be proud of her accomplishments. Hopefully mom's words of encouragement will be stronger and make more of an impact on her than any other outside influences.

I think that they should go out to the top 3 places in individual events for banners as well. I mean, these kids work so hard all year, they should be recognized for their accomplishments even if it isn't first place.

Our gym doesn't post banners with individual girls names on them--the only exception being graduating seniors going on to compete at college. Otherwise we have banners with team placings--if awarded by the meet, but that's it.

Only girls who get a banner are optional girls who took the state title or who finished top 3 AA at regionals or nationals

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting...it seems like most gyms only go out 3 places for AA and 1st place for individual events. Thanks for the feedback!

The gym makes up banners that hang up in the lobby after the compulsory state meets and then optional state meets. They only put girl's names on there that placed 1st and the banners are only up for a month or so. They don't do individual banners.

I only ever remember gyms I trained at having posters for things like qualifiers to JO Nationals/Easterns and a few for one girl who got a few 10s as a compulsory gymnast. There might have been more, but that was at the first gym I went to and a long time ago so my memories are a little fuzzy. The other gyms I trained at I don't remember really having any kind of banners except maybe the ones given out at meets as awards.
One cool thing the first gym I trained at did was have a wall for everyone who scored 9s. If you got a 9 one of the parents would make a really cute award type thing with your name, level, meet, and score and it got put on the wall. So the level 4-10 were all on the same wall and it was a really cool thing, especially for the little ones. At the end of the season they would take them down and you could take yours home. I still have mine from over 10 years ago.
Let Dani know that she did a great job whether she has an individual poster or not. Her 2nd place scores certainly helped her team and she played a big part in them earning that 3rd place banner. She has nothing to feel bad about, she did a great job at states and all season! I'd love to have Dani on my level 4 team, I'm amazed at her dedication, determination, and how much she has learned in such a short amount of time in gymnastics. So banner or not, I think Dani is pretty great!

I LOVE the idea of a "9" award wall:D!!! Wish we had something like that at our gym...think I might suggest it. Thanks for the idea:idea:. It would give the girls a more attainable goal to strive for. And I agree with you about Dani...she don't need no stinkin' banner....we all KNOW she's amazing already:D!!!

I LOVE the idea of a "9" award wall:D!!! Wish we had something like that at our gym...think I might suggest it. Thanks for the idea:idea:. It would give the girls a more attainable goal to strive for. And I agree with you about Dani...she don't need no stinkin' banner....we all KNOW she's amazing already:D!!!

Ok I didn't realize you were talking about individual gymnast recognition.

We have a 9.0 club where girls get silver stars for scores of 9.0 - 9.5 any score 9.5 and above gets a gold star. It has her score the event she got it on and what place she got and the name of the meet she got it at. Then its hung up on the Club 9.0 wall. (yes boys team gets stars there too). They also use Blue stars for AA scores 35.00 and above. and hang them there too.

Let Dani know that she did a great job whether she has an individual poster or not. Her 2nd place scores certainly helped her team and she played a big part in them earning that 3rd place banner. She has nothing to feel bad about, she did a great job at states and all season! I'd love to have Dani on my level 4 team, I'm amazed at her dedication, determination, and how much she has learned in such a short amount of time in gymnastics. So banner or not, I think Dani is pretty great!

Awwww, thanks coachmolly!!! That is very nice of you!! :)

the first gym our gymmie went to did a fishing line in the ceiling leading from the lobby to the gym doors ....all 9's from any meet and any level were recorded on different shaped paper - stars, rainbows, flowers, shamrocks, Christmas trees, etc depending on the season - each paper represented a 9 and the gymnast's name, event, score and meet were recorded on it. then the paper was hung by tiny little clothespins from that fishing line at the ceiling. the goal was to get a whole "walk" of 9 awards from the lobby to the gym doors by the end of the meet season. At the end of the year, each girls' awards were put in her box for her to take home.
it was fun to watch this "walk of 9's" grow all season and it didn't take up any wall space.

And I agree with you about Dani...she don't need no stinkin' banner....we all KNOW she's amazing already:D!!!

LOL--thanks GJM!!! We don't need no stinkin' banners!!!! LOL--I think I am gonna make that my signature line!!!! Wasn't that a SNL clip--"We don't need no stinkin' badges!" LMAO

LOL--thanks GJM!!! We don't need no stinkin' banners!!!! LOL--I think I am gonna make that my signature line!!!! Wasn't that a SNL clip--"We don't need no stinkin' badges!" LMAO
It's from Blazing Saddles, a Mel Brooks movie I love:D. But SNL might have used it too. I also quote the Airplane & Naked Gun movies often. I love stupid humor!

I don't believe we have any team banners, other than what might won from team awards at states hanging in the gym, so I don't know what to say about this. It's a good idea, especially for smaller gyms, I guess. We have a lot girls on team, so maybe that's why they don't do something like this at dd's gym. They also make posters to recognize and wish luck to girls going to regionals and nationals.

The only banners that my gym hangs are the ones that we receive for a certain placement at state. Girls are recognized for individual placements with balloons the day after state (blue for 1st, silver for 2nd, red for 3rd), but we don't hang or make banners for anything other than team.

No individual banners here either. At DDs old gym, after every meet, there was a huge whiteboard at the front of the gym, if your DD placed, her name would be up there with only the scores she had placed on, the other events were blank. My daughter always looked for her name and didn't find it for the longest time because she didn't place forever. LOL.

At her new gym, there is a 9.0 club board up. I know that one of our gym moms does the bulletin board for team and also for the 9.0 club, move ups, etc. Maybe if you volunteered to keep it up, they would let you put up one in your DDs gym. The girls do like to see their names up there. :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back