individual qualification

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

mommyof1

Proud Parent
Did the procedure to qualify for the individual AA and event finals change for this Olympics? I remember there being some controversy in 2016 about Laurie Hernandez's not being allowed to compete all events in the qualifying round, but this year it looks like every gymnast was permitted to compete on every event.

In 2016, the team had 5, and the format, i believe, was 4 up 3 count for the qualifying. This year, the team comp was 4 people and 4 up 3 count. Then the individual qualifiers are outside the team, and could just do some events or all.

And in 2016, they took Kocian simply for bars. So, someone had to sit out bars. It ended up being Laurie, even though Maggie complained about it.

Can somebody explain how you qualify for event finals?

The top eight individual gymnasts on each apparatus qualify for the respective event finals, with a maximum of two gymnasts per country per event.

The top eight on each apparatus during the qualifications, and their scores from team finals have nothing to do with making event finals?

The top eight on each apparatus during the qualifications, and their scores from team finals have nothing to do with making event finals?
Correct. All events qualifications had been decided yesterday during the qualification round. Tomorrow's team final has no bearing on event finals or AA finals.

The top eight individual gymnasts on each apparatus qualify for the respective event finals, with a maximum of two gymnasts per country per event.
I know a lot of people don't like the two per country rule, I think they should adjust the rule so that three per country can advance if all three qualify in the top three spots.

I know a lot of people don't like the two per country rule, I think they should adjust the rule so that three per country can advance if all three qualify in the top three spots.
That would be good, but no one this year met those standards

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back