Injured, and Gaining Weight Fast!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I hurt myself about 6 weeks ago, and I have been in the gym since then conditionning. For the first couple of weeks I was motivated, but now I'm bored, and since i'm not training as hard, I've gained some weight. I'm really nervous that it's going to keep happenning since I won't be able to really train for quite a while. I want to get down to my weight before I got hurt, but I don't want to lose any strength or muscle mass...do you have any suggestions?

What is the injury? If we know that we can suggest conditioning that will help.

At the least try to get yourself in a pool and swim 3 times a week.

Funny that you posted this tonight...I just read an article recently about injury and nutrition and recovery...i can't remember where i found it, but it was pretty informative.

When most people have an injury, it usually involves just one body part, so there's really no reason that athletes can't exercise the rest of the body. Although, it would solely depend on the severity of the injury and a consultation with your doctor.

It’s also important to eat well but not too much, because injuries often limit activity, which translates to burning fewer calories than athletes bodies are accustomed to.
Keep in mind that some athletes will use an injury as a "reason" to overeat high-calorie food. Other athletes will cut back so much on calories due to fear of weight gain that they unknowingly risk hampering healing. Basically, you should eat everything, but in moderation. Taking your intake to the level where you are in elimination mode will make your situation worse because the body doesn't receive enough fuel to sustain itself + to work to heal the injury. The injury is then prolonged due to loss of lean mass (then, subsequently, a lower metabolism) and because it isn't getting the proper nutrition to heal itself appropriately...(or something like that)

I'm sure that you already know - rest, ice, compression and elevation (RICE) is usually the standard remedy for a new injury, when inflammation is worst. But, you should really only follow the advice of your physician.

You should definitely keep moving, though. The most difficult time, the acute injury phase, usually only lasts about a week to 10 days. If it's your arm that's injured, you can probably still manage to walk, and do some other activities or conditioning...swimming is a great activity.

Honestly, depending on the severity of your injury, you could see if your doctor coud refer you to a dietitian. Most RD's specialize in general wellness, but there are lots out there that specialize in sports nutrition. That way you can get some guidance from a professional...

Last edited:

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back