Anon Injured Teammates

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

A

Anonymous (6590)

I am a xcel platinum gymnast and my gym is not a real competitive gym so teamates aren't at every single practice. I am really close with two of my teammates and they are always at practice. They both recently got injured and will be out for a month+. I have talked to them and our coach said they still could come and condition to what they're allowed to do but neither of them want to come. I am one of the only person in our group right now not injured and the girls that are not injured in the other group are a lot younger. With that being said I'm not motivated to go to practice and I don't know what to do. Do I go to practice with girls 4ish years younger than me (I'm the youngest in my group but because most of my group is injured we have been put with the younger girls) or is there something else I could do?

You could try and talk your friends into to coming to practise. My daughter has injured her knee right now, she's still going, just shorter hours. And she's not allowed to do much as she can't run or jump for 6 weeks. But not going at all will make it much harder when they return.

Injured girls at my daughters gym always come to practice, even if its just for an hour to do minimal conditioning, then they gradually add more as healing allows. I would continue to go to practice and encourage your injured teammates to come too.

I just wanted to encourage you to go to practice. I’m sure it a little disappointing to not have your teammates with you. It is really sad for them to be dealing with injuries, and it is really too bad they don’t want to come to training. There are lots of ways to improve even when you are injured, and it is unfortunate that they will be missing out! In many other sports with high level commitments athletes are required to attend practice and write down corrections, and practice whatever they are able or they risk losing their spot on the team. You are going to be improving something every time you practice- even if it feels like a small thing, so I think you will really regret it if you don’t go. Also, you probably don’t know how much those younger gymnast will be looking at you and admiring all the amazing things you are able to do. You may find you end up with a lovely little fan club of cheerleaders. Keep your chin up, and remember that no matter how much you love training with your teammates ultimately you are training for yourself and your journey! Keep working hard and keep us posted. I will be looking forward to hearing how it goes.

I just wanted to encourage you to go to practice. I’m sure it a little disappointing to not have your teammates with you. It is really sad for them to be dealing with injuries, and it is really too bad they don’t want to come to training. There are lots of ways to improve even when you are injured, and it is unfortunate that they will be missing out! In many other sports with high level commitments athletes are required to attend practice and write down corrections, and practice whatever they are able or they risk losing their spot on the team. You are going to be improving something every time you practice- even if it feels like a small thing, so I think you will really regret it if you don’t go. Also, you probably don’t know how much those younger gymnast will be looking at you and admiring all the amazing things you are able to do. You may find you end up with a lovely little fan club of cheerleaders. Keep your chin up, and remember that no matter how much you love training with your teammates ultimately you are training for yourself and your journey! Keep working hard and keep us posted. I will be looking forward to hearing how it goes.
I've been continuing to attend practices even though they are still out. We are now on a 2week summer break and when we return one of them will be able to return and the other will be able to return a couple weeks later. That was so helpful and once I heard all the comments about I should continue going to practice (especially yours). There was no doubt that I was going to practice.

Thank you so much. Honestly this was so helpful when I read it a little while ago. I went to practice and now all of my teammates are back. Also, you were right about all the little cheerleaders.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News