WAG Injuries and roundoff back handspring

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hi! I'm not in gymnastics, I'm in cheerleading but I still wanted an answer from gymnasts or gymnastics coaches since I trust those more. So my elbow are hyperextended elbows and it's really bad. I've been working on my roundoff back handspring for two years and my coach has been telling me that I should be able to do it but I'm too scared that my elbow will dislocate. So really how much of an impact does a back handspring have on elbows? Am I right to think i can hurt it?

Well probably bodyweight times 1.5-2x.

More pushups, more pullups and related exercises besides Handstands to strengthen elbow.

Work them on a "friendlier" surface first such as tumble track or soft 8 inchers that way if the RO BHS is not perfect the first time, it won't be so hard on your body... don't have much matting or a tumble track in your gym? Check to see if there are any gyms in your area that offer open gym.

Hope this helps!

When you do the back flip your hands should be slightly turned in, make diamond with your hands and then keep them at that angle when you move them to shoulder width apart. This way if anything goes wrong in the back flip your elbows will bend in the correct direction rather than extending backwards like they would if your hands were turned outwards. You shouldn't attempt the round off flip until your hands are consistently correct in your flip as your body will go back to the old way when you are concentrating on something else so it needs to be automatic. Also you should have a strong round off jump back onto stacked mats and a strong back flip before attempting it. Also agree it should be done onto a soft surface with a spot when first learning it.

Hi! I'm not in gymnastics, I'm in cheerleading but I still wanted an answer from gymnasts or gymnastics coaches since I trust those more. So my elbow are hyperextended elbows and it's really bad. I've been working on my roundoff back handspring for two years and my coach has been telling me that I should be able to do it but I'm too scared that my elbow will dislocate. So really how much of an impact does a back handspring have on elbows? Am I right to think i can hurt it?

try to do everything you can to strengthen your elbows and don't scare yourself into thinking it could dislocate, it wont. there's a girl on my team whose elbows and knees are hyper extendable and she does that and other things just fine! ☺ also ask your coaches if there is another way form wise that could help you out. good luck !! you got it :)

you can strengthen your triceps and biceps and shoulder muscles and etc; but you can't strengthen your "elbows". lol, but i think i understand what you meant. and shouldn't you be in school? or are you in Atlanta, where they get a little snow and shut down the state all day long??

you can strengthen your triceps and biceps and shoulder muscles and etc; but you can't strengthen your "elbows". lol, but i think i understand what you meant. and shouldn't you be in school? or are you in Atlanta, where they get a little snow and shut down the state all day long??

yeah I didn't mean actually strenghten my elbows just my arms and I'm in college so I'm not in school all day long!

try to do everything you can to strengthen your elbows and don't scare yourself into thinking it could dislocate, it wont. there's a girl on my team whose elbows and knees are hyper extendable and she does that and other things just fine! ☺ also ask your coaches if there is another way form wise that could help you out. good luck !! you got it :)

Thank you very much for the encouragement! I'll try believe in myself instead of thinking I might hurt myself! :)

When you do the back flip your hands should be slightly turned in, make diamond with your hands and then keep them at that angle when you move them to shoulder width apart. This way if anything goes wrong in the back flip your elbows will bend in the correct direction rather than extending backwards like they would if your hands were turned outwards. You shouldn't attempt the round off flip until your hands are consistently correct in your flip as your body will go back to the old way when you are concentrating on something else so it needs to be automatic. Also you should have a strong round off jump back onto stacked mats and a strong back flip before attempting it. Also agree it should be done onto a soft surface with a spot when first learning it.

Thank you for some great advice! I'll definitely be working harder until my technique is great.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back