WAG Injuries at European Championships

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Awful lot of injuries this year at the Europeans...what do you all think of it? It doesn't take much to hurt yourself in gymnastics -- the slightest bit "off" landing or take-off can lead to sprains and tears and broken bones. I feel sorry for the poor athletes who got hurt in a major international championship like this.

This was what one touch warmup was meant to prevent. ☹️

I wonder if the theatrical lighting makes it harder for the gymnasts. You’d think they wouldn’t do it if it did, but I remember hearing of complaints last Euros.

Theatrical lighting was used at World Championships quite frequently, though...

How was Georgieva even treated on the mat? Is she OK? Did she tear her ACL? Why did the coach for the other girl receive the Vault medal on the podium? I'm so confused.

It's much more interesting placement-wise without the Russians, that's for sure. I do wonder, though, whether the increased medal potential has driven athletes to attempt harder skills than they usually would, and are getting hurt as a result...

Sorry to double post, how are the Ukrainians supposed to train? Where did they practice in the months leading up to competition?

How was Georgieva even treated on the mat? Is she OK? Did she tear her ACL? Why did the coach for the other girl receive the Vault medal on the podium? I'm so confused.
Georgieva was indeed treated in the mat (I assume icing, stabilizing the joint, waiting for the pain to subside enough for her to be moved off the mat). It was confirmed that it was an ACL injury.

The Italian coach received the medal because Asia D'Amato injured her ankle on her second vault and was unable to attend the ceremony, either because she was in too much pain or because she was being treated.

While it wasn't as injury prone, classics & championships were full of slips, falls, and mishaps as well. Including in our winners.

My oldest and I had a conversation about this, is it because of COVID? Not enough conditioning time back in the gym to prevent all these things? Gymnasts working on getting back in shape in addition to upgrading/getting back lost skills??

Just a thought since it's happening on 'Both sides of the pond?'

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back