MAG Injuries in Mens gymnastics. PLEASE HELP!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics
I was level 9, 2012 of February. A day after temple university meet. Placed 6th. I has 2 fractures in my ankle on impact of the springboard. Coach started making me work pommels non stop. Then I was 13. All these injuries started because I am growing. So... With my ankle injury, I worked pommel and ended up having fractured both of my wrist. Missed nationals. Came back in the summer and was diagnosed with spondylosis. A small fracture in L5 lower back. Again mostly from growing, over training, and just the sport of gymnastics. Took the summer off. Came back for optional meet at Parketts in 2013. Back still hurting... Even after a cortisone shot. I pushed through pain that I've never felt before. Still competed nationals. Through out the meets this year my foot as been killing me when I out pressure on it. ( not same injury) different. And my should pops in and out on Highbar and rings and p's. it's now May 11th. Yesterday I told my coach. (Old tough Ukrainian) that I am going to take a month off. I now because I have grown I need to do crazy conditioning... And I will be going for acupuncture. Any thoughts on my situation... Advice? Please I'm desperate and just want to be healthy enough to go and work my but off because next year ill be 15 and if I don't start placing at regionals and nationals... Colleges will not even notice me.

Go see an experienced sports orthopedist. We can't give you medical advice. Your body is more important than gymnastics. Get healthy and then see what the doc/ PT says you can do about coming back to the sport.

They just say take 4 months off or you gotta work through it and my parents don't believe me... Haha it's stinks... Thanks tho

The doctor did not talk directly to your parents? Ask "them" to talk to your parents and explain exactly what you need to do to get healthy and avoid future injury. Working though extreme pain can lead to further injury on the sore part or on the areas that are compensating.

You are going to need to take some time to just focus on rest and healing.

If your ankle and back are still messed up, you are definitely going to have to stay off the hard surfaces and possibly any tumbling or vaulting, period. Maybe not even tumbl-trak.

Shoulder sounds like you need to work on some strength possibly.

You need to be looking into PT/Chiro/Ortho/SportsDoctor. I'm sure the accupuncture will help alleviate pain (maybe inflammation) but if you are dealing with fractures, they just need time to heal up without pounding on them.

Thanks. Is it smart to stay Home for a month and just stretch and do some crunches and elastic band work with my shoulder?

A month makes a huge difference for your body. DS took a month off, forced by us, and he is feeling much better. He kept up with flexibility, and some conditioning, but the month off gave him new perspective and drive. He was feeling very beaten down, and like his body was giving up on him.
Your body needs a rest. Pushing it will make it worse.....see the doctors necessary and put a plan in motion.

TAKE THE TIME YOU NEED TO HEAL! You have these skills. They are not going to go away. They're in your head, not your body. Once your body is healed and capable of doing what you ask of it, you will be amazed at how quickly the skills come back. Just maintain your flexibility work -- to the extent that it isn't aggravating anything -- and do safe conditioning.

You have worked for years to get to where you are. In the grand scheme of all the time and energy you've put into it, a few months of rest and recuperation is small. And the potential payoff is huge. If you give yourself the time you need, you will have a much better chance of upgrading and getting people's attention as a L10.

I wish you all the best.

They just say take 4 months off or you gotta work through it and my parents don't believe me... Haha it's stinks... Thanks tho

you know son, mens gymnastics is more demanding under the code than the womens side. you have 6 events vs. 4. and the Ukranian coach is right. crazy conditioning and lots of it. our bodies take longer to mature. i know you might see no end in sight. but there will be light at the end of the 'injury' tunnel for you in a couple of years. you work thru what you can and rest when you need to. it's gymnastics. :) hang in there. and the mens college coaches know the same thing. don't worry about them and nationals. control the things you can and listen to your coach.

So still go in and condition even if it hurts. I am capable of working through it not cause it doesn't hurt that bad but the fact that I pushed through it for quite a while cause I had to. So basically condition everything and I will feel a little better after I get strong? I will of you say so but just wanna double check with you...

Also, your right, I get scared that even if I take of or condition or do whatever that helps, I feel it will never get better. I sacrifice so much... I mean every gymnast does. But are you just saying that or is it true that once I stop growing and all my injuries will feel better? It would really help to know cause this stuff is is depressing... Lol

Condition around your injuries.

Right now it sounds like you have a fractured back, fractured ankle and 2 fractured wrists.

Focus on what you can condition that doesn't involve sharp pain. You will probably have to stay off your hands and holding on to stuff. Focus on core work and band work wrapped around your wrists.

Maybe pullups, but I'd use straps if you do.

So still go in and condition even if it hurts. I am capable of working through it not cause it doesn't hurt that bad but the fact that I pushed through it for quite a while cause I had to. So basically condition everything and I will feel a little better after I get strong? I will of you say so but just wanna double check with you...

yes, conditioning as a rule will not "injure" your body. it may insult it, but not injure it. and yes, you will be stronger once you can get to the other side of what ails you now.

Also, your right, I get scared that even if I take of or condition or do whatever that helps, I feel it will never get better. I sacrifice so much... I mean every gymnast does. But are you just saying that or is it true that once I stop growing and all my injuries will feel better? It would really help to know cause this stuff is is depressing... Lol

i am being sincere. the worst part of what we must do is train and condition thru these difficult and depressing periods. keep your chin up and whistle while you work. it WILL eventually get better. :)

It's been two weeks since I took off. My back feels a little better. Like not excruciating pain put my shoulder and foot still hurt! Why isn't anything getting better? I only have two weeks till I have to go back and I just want to be healthy enough to train without major pain. What am I doing wrong?!

Seriously, if you are that missed up you might need more time. More than just a month. How are your fractured ankles and wrists? How about that back fracture. Most fractures are given 6-8 weeks.

Light, super light exercise may be beneficial to keep blood flow going through the tissues and joints.

Given a proper diet, you really shouldn't need anything exotic supplement wise.

Rest, sleep A LOT or rest a lot, light exercise, enough food and water and sunshine.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back