Injuries

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I've been lucky enough to never be seriously injured, although I have had a few minor injuries.

- I sprained my toe vaulting (I didn't make it all the way to handstand came back down and two of my toes went on either side of a spring in the mini-tramp)
- I pulled a muscle in my back when I bailed on a backhandspring (I was going to do roundoff 2 BHS but bailed on my first one)
- I've also roled my ankle more times than I can count
- I also have a messed up wrist

Some funny injuries/falls I've had:

- Got tramp-burn on my knee by bailing on a roundoff on the tumbletrack (I still to this day have no idea how I managed to do that)
- I've also overotated a few front-tucks and landed on my stomach (it never hurts when I do that though)

Yeah it is! And then when you actually get on the apparatus you're so graceful! My friends laugh cos they say I can't walk down the street without falling over yet my favourite thing is beam! :D

I totaly agree with you! (Well, except the beam part) I can be graceful when it comes to walking I am such a klutz. My friends dont believe me when I say that I can do gymnastics with out tripping!:p

i didn't have a bad injury, but today i was on the trampoline and it was like 7:30 at night, so it was almost completely dark, but you could still see. I did a really good full, but over rotated, so i landed on my feel first, but then fell on my back and my arm went through the springs and i landed on my back on the bar. i almost fell off the trampoline. I'm really glad that we don't have one of those safety net things, because my head would have gone through it. My arm was bleeding, and my back is bruised.

I have broken both my feet at different times. And a stress frature in the left one at the end of last year. Broken foot was from a level 9 meet... I broke it on my 1 and half punch front on floor in the middle of competition but finished the routine!

My friend Connie was beautiful on bars...anyway, she was a L9 doing a straddle back during a meet and hit her heels on the bar and broke both of her feet.
D=

I have another funny injury...

We were sitting on the beams watching eachother do handstands or something like that and I went to scoot back a little more so i could get comfortable, but I ended up falling over and fliping and landing on my stomach. Every one was laughing really hard and it kinda hurt, but it was funny.

Today my team and I had a performance so we went to the church it was at and the grass was soaked. I'm not even kidding it was way soaked. The sprinkler system must have been automatic because it was terrible. Just stepping in the grass for a second got our feet really wet and we have an AirTrak so we were trying really hard to get our feet dry on the mats. We stopped mini tramp because our feet were slipping on the tramp part. It was a good demo but the grass being soaked wasn't great but no one got hurt which was good!

I just started gym about a year and a 1\2 ago. I have had about 4 injuries so far.

Injury:
1. My big toe came off on vault. :confused:I had to get a million stitches for them to put it back on but I was only out for about 3 weeks. I now have a nasty scar on it. Very painful injury.
2. Broke my leg doing a press to handstand on the beam. Weird landings explain everything! :p
3. I can dislocate my shoulder on demand ever since I got a really bad rope burn on it. I was at my friends cottage and I went off of her rope swing into the lake. First time I do it, the rope get wrapped all the way around my arm and I slide down the rope until I hit the water just hanging from my arm. Obviously, this pulled my shoulder out of the socket, but when I hit the water the pressure pushed it back in. I didn't go to the hospital because it didn't hurt, the cut was the only thing that hurt. Now, while I'm doing gymnastics, my shoulder will dislocate randomly. Mostly on uprises and backwalkovers on beam. It has only happened once at a meet, and that was a 0.8 that I am not willing to take again.
4. I'm a klutz. I roll my ankles and feet all of the time. I am always breaking and spraining my toes.:rolleyes:

well, apparently...it can! now my coaches always say, "How about we have some good vaults today...No toes flying off everywhere!" lol:p

well I have been doing gymnastics for 11 years and my knees hurt all the time and so do my wrists. flippin fool 08

hmm... at this moment, one side of my back hurts, which i think is a muscle problem, and my knee hurts when straightened. i always have knee problems. :|

yeah.. this year. (2007) i ended up dislocating my thumb doing a round-off back tuck. of course you don't put your hands down on the back tuck so... silly me.. i dislocated it doing the roud-off. i popped it back in but in cheerleading the next night i caught someone wrong and ended up tearing the ligaments in my thumb. now i most likey need surgery because i'm still tumbling on it in a plastic brace.

I don't have any major injuries like that I would have to be out or anything.
I've straddled the beam about 1000 times and counting........
I trip over my feet A LOT! I randomly walk into things. Its so funny gymnasts are supposed to be graceful but usually we don't even get hurt doing actual gymnastics! I've had lots of friends who did stuff to their ankle like walking on curbs. Thats kinda bad I mean we flip on the beam! HAHA! Lets see any of my funny injuries:

* We were on the low bar that slides so people have to stand on the sides its like a single rail and we were doing shoot over timers so we did like the sole circle and came off and we were supposed to twist but I didn't and I had a lot of power and I landed on this black folded up pannel mat and it slide and I slammed down hard on my butt on the concrete! It hurt for days after! Then right after that happened I was standing on the side of the bar rail so my teammate could go and the bar still slid and the side of it hit me in the mouth and I had braces so I cut my lip and I was bleeding!
* I've also wiped out lots of times.
Jumping from the low bar to the high bar not catching on to the highbar but my hands touching it so falling down on my back.
Level 5 dismount- I never let go so I like swung back and slipped off and flipped forwards and landed on my back.
Tap swings- I peeled off on the back swing and landed on my face.

its funny cuz most people get hurt doing the easiest stuff, like this one level 7 at my gym broke her arm just fooling around and doing a level 5 beam dismount. i hyper extended my elbow doing a backhandspring because i got super excited and i also broke my finger doing a back handspring because i was mad at my coach so i wasn't thinking about the silly little bhs and i broke it

gymgymgymnast08: Level 5 dismount- I never let go so I like swung back and slipped off and flipped forwards and landed on my back.
Tap swings- I peeled off on the back swing and landed on my face.

HAHA! i did that too! when my grips didn't grip the bar good enough and i totally peeled of the bar! oh that sucks

Well my only serious injury was last year i broke my finger on vault. it was so stupid i jabbed it into my leg... it didnt' hurt that much but the next day it was all swollen and purple. then we found out it was broken. it was awful.. i was off for 6 weeks! and it didn't even hurt!

oh and that was at a competetition... which i got 3rd on vault! with a broken finger!

First of all, i thought this was a really good post for a laugh or two, or more, so i decided to bring it back.
Back to the thread...
My friend was doing backhandsprings on the tramp, just for fun, and she broke her finger in 3 places and dislocated it, at camp!
One time i was doing a round off full dismount on beam, and one of my feet slipped off the beam, and i landed on my stomach on the mat. It didn't hurt, but it was pretty funny!
My other friend on my team was doing a double back on the floor with spot, and she totally got lost in the middle, and kicked out. She landed on her stomach on the floor, and it was really funny! She wasn't seriously hurt, but she did bruise her knee pretty bad.
I also have a habit of tripping over mats and the bar things that go into the floor to hold them up(i don't know what thats called). Lots of us do that. :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back