Injury Advice/Help

Parents... Coaches... Judges... Gymnasts...
DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members See FEWER Ads!
Join for FREE!
Not open for further replies.
Jun 12, 2009
My daughter has been complaining off and on about mild knee pain for the last month or so. We have been icing it and elevating and that seemed to help. Well, after practice tonight, she said it hurt really badly and also had a shooting pain up her leg to her inner thigh. She sat out a little in practice, but then got back in. When she came home, the pain got progressively worse. We gave her pain medicine and iced it. She couldn't sleep and was just writhing in pain on the bed, crying, and saying this is the worst pain she has ever felt. She is NOT a drama queen and has endured her fair share of pain for her beloved gymnastics, so I take her pretty seriously. We called the doctor's office and as I explained the symptoms to her, I could tell that she had no clue what this is. She just told us to take her to the doctor in the morning if it keeps up and if she is really in unbearable pain, to take her to the ER. It seems a bit better now and she is resting, though not asleep, but at least she is not crying out in pain. Has anyone had a similar injury? Any advice?


Proud Parent
Proud Parent
Sep 25, 2007
I would definitely have her see a doctor to see if it is something that is broken or injured. For now, it seems you are doing the right things.

I googled her symptoms and found this. Interesting, who knows if it applies to her. I would probably consider it more if they find no fractures or injuries to explain her pain.

ROUND EARTH PUBLISHING: Knee Pain: Quadriceps: Rectus Femoris

Scroll down to Front of Knee Pain/rectus femoris and see if any of this sounds like her symptoms.

Hip Thigh Knee Pain Relief Through Acupuncture

JohnMintonMassage: Knee pain solution

Repetitive Use Injury Therapy - The Missing Link: Article 3

From what I have read, a tight rectus femoris muscle can cause knee pain like you describe. Looks like there are stretching exercises that can help it. Hope it is something as simple as this. I am not an expert, just love to find links on the internet. :)


Moderator/Proud Parent
Aug 25, 2007
North Carolina
Definitely calls for a trip to the doctor. Could possibly be Osgood-Schlatters ( spelled wrong I am sure) a girl at our gym has that and it can be painful.
Oct 23, 2009
Sports Medicine doctor

Please take your gym baby to a Sports Medicine Doctor or Sports Medicine Orthopedist. They are specialists in sports injuries and know a lot more about body mechanics than a regular family physician or pediatrician. It helps if they know about gymnasts.
My daughter recovered in about 2 weeks from a similar injury by seeing a sports medicine doctor where her former teammate who went to her pediatrician took over 6 weeks to recover. The sports medicine doc worked with her coaches and prescribed stretches, workout modifications, and therapy. She was able to continue to work out and did not lose any conditioning.
Not open for further replies.

New Posts