WAG Injury and competition!?!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Em09

Gymnast
So my close friend from gymnastics fractured her ankle, and will be out for 8 weeks. I was wondering if she'll be fit to compete with a shot in a September competition, and if there's anything she should do to maintain her strength. When she gets back, she'll only have around a month and a half to learn her routines and get ready. Will she be able to do well? Any tips or experiences greatly appreciated!

It depends on specifics- how bad the fracture is, its specific location, whether she is fully non-weightbearing, what level she is and what skills she has. In general for the lower levels it usually takes about the same amount of time that one is out for the injury to come back. So, 8 weeks from the time the time she begins walking on it again fully. If she is completely non weight-bearing, it will Take longer b/c you hand to build up the muscle in that leg again Same for if she is in upper levels, just due to the strength and skills needed

She needs a moonboot, and she was limping but able to walk on it. It's on the outside of her foot. She's young, 11 or 12, and in Level 3. She's still almost my height though, lol. She said she fractured it doing box jumps, and her foot slid off and turned a bit.

I think it's possible, at least for a few events. When my daughter broke her arm, from time of break until her first competition was about 3.5 months. But take the time she needs--it's way better to heal properly than to rush it and have a nagging injury for much longer. Use the time to improve upper body strength, flexibility, etc., and she'll come back stronger!

Upperbodues are different than lower body but given the skills she will need, assuming she already had them, she should be able to start on at least one or two events and then add others as she gets stronger. Being weight-bearing is a big help, less muscle waning.

Being off the ankle for 8 weeks doesn't typically mean having to be gone from the gym completely for 8 weeks. Once the initial trauma/pain is behind her and ankle stabilized, there is a lot that can be done in the gym to stay a part of the team, stay in shape, and help prevent loss of skills. Most coaches are willing to give an injured gymnast a strength list they can do and keep them involved as long as they are not a goof-off or distraction from their teammates. Keeping in condition and learning the movements, arm positions, and patterns of the compulsory routines can still be worked on, just with modifications as needed.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back