Parents Instagram Highlights and Skills

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My DDs new gym is big on posting on social media. But it appears they posting anyone but my DD. Which I feel silly for noticing it but Im also seeing through a lens of of wondering why as it’s not for a lack of skills/accomplishments.

My DD started this new gym back in April. She has done well and last meet scores 9.4 or above, placing first on all events. No highlight but post about all other levels.

Recently they are posting new skills, same kids on her level and everyone else but her.

I asked if she has request not to be posted (which is fine and completely would be respected) but she said no. They just video everyone but her.

It’s silly I know but seeing through another lens is making me wonder why or how this can affect her if it appears they are ignoring her. And then on a bigger scale - are they ignoring her during practice as well. I asked , she said they run routines with her and working on new skills with the others.
Maybe they are trying to boost their confidence? Idk.
Again I might be silly but on another hand social media is supposed to give you a snap shot into others. You would never know my daughter existed at that gym unless you went to mymeetscores. I know I’m silly but considered looking from other angles.

Is it silly to care about this? Yes. Did my daughter's old gym do the exact same thing and did it also make me mad? Also, yes. Did the nastier girls/parents notice who was getting posted and who wasn't and then use it as a signal of their superiority? Yes.

I think the takeaway is that if gyms do this, they need to do it carefully because it can really create scope for toxic behavior. Our current gym doesn't really do that sort of thing much. However when they do, they make the same amount of deal about 10th as 1st overall, and all of their posts are reels so you see it once and it disappears.

As an aside, I'm shocked at the things that some gyms and gym parents publicly post about their kids on insta. Pedophiles must love it, but it makes this normal dad really uncomfortable.

Is it silly to care about this? Yes. Did my daughter's old gym do the exact same thing and did it also make me mad? Also, yes. Did the nastier girls/parents notice who was getting posted and who wasn't and then use it as a signal of their superiority? Yes.

I think the takeaway is that if gyms do this, they need to do it carefully because it can really create scope for toxic behavior. Our current gym doesn't really do that sort of thing much. However when they do, they make the same amount of deal about 10th as 1st overall, and all of their posts are reels so you see it once and it disappears.

As an aside, I'm shocked at the things that some gyms and gym parents publicly post about their kids on insta. Pedophiles must love it, but it makes this normal dad really uncomfortable.
Best response ever!!
And I love the mention and insight about pedophiles. Great takeaways in this response.
I know I’m being silly.
I agréé about toxic. It can create an environment on who is who.
Thanks again!

Our gym is very active on IG too but 90% of the time it’s spent only promoting baby gym and rec classes for ages 3-7. We have so many amazing team kids and many who go on to get scholarships. Honestly I’ve thought to myself that if I were an outsider looking in I would have no idea this gym does competitive gymnastics! I heard from our previous owner at a different gym that she made all her money through the rec classes and barely broke even with team. So I feel they are maybe the same at the new gym and are trying to attract more rec kids. Another mom on our team did feel offended when the gym highlighted the team on the IG stories one day and included everyone but her daughter. I feel they should include everyone and didn’t understand it myself but just told her it was social media and to not make waves over it. We need to pick and choose our battles wisely. The last gym we were at kicked kids out of the gym mid season and all of a parent spoke up against anything.

this is the case with just about every competitive gym.
Sour gym only posts the team girls but well … yea reason I am silly and I posts.

But… I scheduled a private today bc my DD need the one and one time.

Anyways , she had a skill and lost it due to an injury and has now regained. Her HC that worked with her emphasized to show it next practice to get posted.

Here are a couple of old threads about team finances...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back