WAG Interaction after meets.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymbeam

Proud Parent
I'm super curious to hear about the culture of other gyms in regard to interaction between the gymnasts, parents and coaches after the meet is over.

So, run me through what its normally like for you as soon as awards end.

Also, tell me if at this point you have or have not had any interaction with the coaches or other parents yet. (Because at our gym we all spread out during the meets. Too many of us to always sit together so sometimes we don't see everyone until awards.)

I keep the kids with me until I can make eye contact with a parent to make sure they don't get lost---it can get kind of crazy at the big meets. I generally exchange pleasantries and tell the kids/parents to be safe driving home, see you at practice, etc. I also usually tell them good job. If a kid has a remarkable meet one or or the other, we may talk about it briefly but I try to stay away from that at the meet as a general rule.

I keep the kids with me until I can make eye contact with a parent to make sure they don't get lost---it can get kind of crazy at the big meets. I generally exchange pleasantries and tell the kids/parents to be safe driving home, see you at practice, etc. I also usually tell them good job. If a kid has a remarkable meet one or or the other, we may talk about it briefly but I try to stay away from that at the meet as a general rule.
Oh cool- a coach reply! So, does every parent make their way to you to say something? Or is it more you making the effort to acknowledge each parent?

DD finds me and we get the heck out of dodge as quickly as possible. Those awards take FOREVER and we are always so ready to be out of there. We make no contact with anyone. Well, when the girls get first place team the HC usually takes pictures of the team together with the trophy, but then right after that DD runs out.

Most of us sit together at meets though and chat all through and cheer on the girls together. The team is pretty big, so they just scatter.

Once the meet is over, parents usually grab their kids and head out. Maybe a few chat with the coaches. During the meet we usually set in groups of parents so we've spent the meet with each other. Sometimes we arrange dinner/lunch with other families at the end of the meet.
Coaches will say goodbye/good job/high five to the kids and answer any brief questions from parents, but they are almost always headed to another session so they don't have much time. They don't usually approach the parents unless there was a problem.

I immediately find my gymmie, who is usually with her friends. I congratulate all of them on a great meet - if I remember something specific I might mention that. Generally they are all starved and are all trying to convince the parents to get a meal together. Depending on the time of day, how long of a drive home we have, etc. we will often get a meal together afterwards. Usually about 1/4 to 1/2 of the families will choose to eat together at a restaurant about 30 minutes away from the meet (if there is a decent choice in that distance). We always invite the coaches (and split their cost) who join us about 50% of the time. If it is late or the schedule is crazy, we congratulate, say goodbye and leave.

Coaches usually collect the team award. Some take it home while other coaches let one girl take it home - someone who had something good happen at the meet - hit a skill they were struggling with, great team spirit, etc. Whether the coach spends any time after awards depends on whether they have other sessions.

Not much interaction with coaches- they're usually coaching for the next session too- but we talk to other kids and parents regularly, and sometimes go out for ice cream/froyo.

Yep, I will third what SMH said, both as a parent and coach. Many meets have awards in a separate spot and sessions overlapping, so we are already with the next group. If it is the last session, we try to sit with the girls for awards but obviously not every session is the last, lol, and sometimes we have to get out of there too (or get to hospitality to scarf something down before next session or whatever). It is totally NOT personal if we do not have time to discuss the meet immediately! As a parent I don't think I have ever really chatted with the coach right at the meet...
We do usually have a 3hr+ drive, so most people want to get out of there and on the way home or grab a bite.

I will start by saying I am not "NORMAL" when it comes to this.
I sit in the front whenever possible. I have a "saved spot" at our home meets (right next to where the scorekeepers are)… and at other meets, I sit wherever is most convenient so I can see the events. This sometimes means 4 different seats for the 4 different events. Often i will chat with other parents between events or during awards (except home meet awards, because I am working then) and by the end of the meet, I have talked to them all. I also congratulate gymnasts on personal bests or qualifying for Y Nationals or doing something that they had been struggling with in practice.
After awards, some of the families will meet up to eat (planned between the meet and awards by the children and/or parents). Other parents grab their kids and go.
I stay for all sessions and HC talks to me at least once or twice a session… at some meets, even more, lol.

Coaches are rarely at awards since they're usually coaching the next session. I think I've seen the coaches at awards only once this season. Parents usually sit together during the meet, but not during awards. I personally try to grab dd and get out quickly.

We (coaches) go to awards if at all possible. I usually find a spot to stand or sit alone. Parents usually say hello etc... occasionally I will go out to dinner, but usually avoid it because they typically last 3 hours with the large group, and well... I really don't want to get peppered with questions or baited into reassuring someone that their DD is the best kid on the planet, for hours on end... :)

Honestly, it just depends.
Most meets we sit together, so afterwards the girls kind of head our way but there are usually so many people the girls are just kind of finding parents, hugging them, etc. Often the other girls will be close enough that we can tell them they did a nice job before we leave, but not always.
Coach walks over with them, usually gives us all or each (depending on how spread out we are by that point) and thumbs up or "x qualified for sectionals/states" or a one-two sentence statement (ie did great on X event or finally hit 4 for 4! yay! kind of thing) but not always...honestly it just depends on how hectic everything is. :) Parents are all supportive and positive to all the girls, though, if they see them.
We've never all gone out afterwards or anything, but I've heard of other levels doing it. There have been a couple of occasions where a few or all of the girls will stay for part of the next session to watch teammates in different levels.

Often at our state meet I have another session starting right away, but if it's the last session of the day or I happen to have a bit of a break I like to go to awards. If I'm not able to be there I typically have a parent text me if there is good news.
States is often several hours away and girls within the same level split between sessions, so often they are staying at a hotel anyway and choose to stay and watch their teammates. After all the girls have finished competing they go back to the hotel to play in the pool and get takeout. I usually stand around at awards if I'm able and parents will often come find me and I am happy to chat- sometimes about their kids meet, sometimes about totally unrelated things. Every once in a while I will join them for dinner, but typically I am ready for bed or to head home.

My first year girls this season are an interesting bunch, so I'm very curious to see how States pans out for them. They aren't a super cohesive bunch (parents or kids) and most just do their own thing once the meet is over. They don't even gather for pictures with the team award. The parents also don't talk to me unless they really have to- and typically that's via email- so I really can't imagine them seeking me out at awards or making small talk.

My daughter is older/higher level now, so there is little interaction with the coaches unless there is a specific need. When she was younger, there was more of a handoff/light discussion/high-five after a meet. The coaches usually talk to the team after meet/before awards and then release them.

Our coaches never go to awards. They have a really long day and there's not always a lot of time between sessions to eat, regroup and get out there for the next session. If it's the last session of the day I am pretty sure they just want to get back to their hotel room in peace. They definitely sit with the girls and chat after their last rotation and I am sure they probably go over the good, the bad and the ugly.

As parents towards the beginning of the season, we generally like to sit together and try and go out afterwards for a meal. It really creates great memories for the girls. At this point in the season however, I don't care so much and just want to get out of there.

Our coaches don't stay for the awards, regardless of whether they are working the next session or not. I initially wondered about this but after experiencing my first award ceremony, I don't blame them one bit and would do the same thing. It's very easy for them to know the result without going to the award ceremony. They have a huddle with the team right after the meet ends and before the girls go to awards. For local meets, the parents normally grab their girls and run out of the gym. For out of town meets, we normally try to arrange a dinner or lunch together.

DDs coach comes to awards when she isn't working the next session. This year DDs group has been the last session of the day and coach has come out to dinner/drinks with us a few times. Conversation is rarely about the meet or gymnastics! :) Coach gives the girls feedback immediately after each event at the meet.

Our coaches never attend awards. They've repeatedly told both parents and gymnasts that awards (while nice) aren't what they are looking for at meets. They are watching to see progress from the gymnasts on skills and ability to compete under pressure. Some of my daughter's worst scores have been her 'best meets' in her coaches eyes. Hitting a skill that they've been working on for months is more important than getting the highest possible score at every meet. Conversely, there have been meets where she's scored well on an event and her coach is not happy because the skill they were working wasn't where the coach wanted to see it - score didn't matter.

There isn't much conversation between coaches and parents at meets, we usually commiserate with the coaches about the hectic meet session schedule as we drop our gymnasts off to the beginning of the session but if we have questions/concerns- those are usually addressed at the gym when the gymnasts and coaches are back at practice.

As for parents themselves, as we've gotten into the optional levels - we all have our coping mechanisms for watching (enduring?) each meet. Some parents pace, some sit in a corner alone, some track scores like a statistics fiend and some chit chat together in order to calm their nerves. All of us have reached the "let everyone stay healthy through this meet" stage, so we are all pretty chill with one another's coping skills. It is rare for us to meet up for dinner after a meet, everyone wants to get home and have other family commitments/children not in gymnastics.

Sometimes the coaches are there, sometimes not. They don't really chat with us. Maybe a congrats in passing, if the child did something well. A request to forward pictures perhaps.

Parents sit in the same general area at meets and award time. Some carpool together. Some parents chit chat all meet. Some like me just need to hang quietly on the fringe. We all tend to chair hop, event to event. Most of our meets are local. So after awards there may some quick photo opps. Sometimes a hey does anyone want to grab a bite. Most of us usually just head home or do a family thing.

If it is an away, meet, we usually do at least one dinner together. Meet in the hotel for breakfast, gatherings. If timing allows maybe a visit to a local attraction. But meet time really drives that.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back