Parents Interesting findings

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

As I posted in my New Here thread, my daughter has a hx of low back stress fx.
Unfortunately, over the past 2 weeks, she has low back pain again on the right side. Not the same symptoms, but went and had it checked ASAP. Ortho felt it was a muscular strain and referred her to PT.
The therapist findings were tight hip flexors(limiting hip extension: right hip extension about 40% of left side, tight hip internal rotation(15-20degrees less than L.), weak internal abdominal strength(3 out of 5) and weak gluts(right about 50% less than L. side)

Being the "google" master than I am:)LOL, I put in her symptoms and found this interesting article.

A Tight Hip Flexor = Compensations « Chriskolba’s Weblog

My daughter could be the poster child for this article. With her hx and symptoms in mind, my DH and I have come to the conclusion that she must be in a program that places an emphasis on flexibility and strength training with this knowledge in mind. Just not sure if her present gym can provide it.

Can you ask the PT for excercises for your DD to do at home with your supervision. My DD suffered a few different injuries until we found a great sport therapist who worked with her and developped a set of stretching/exercises to be done twice daily. Since then all is great.

I realise the gym is not able to meet al my DD's needs, but it is easy to supplement at home.

She is working on home exercises and the therapist has been great in educating my daughter on why she needs to do them.
My concern is that these concepts should be focused on when putting together a training program and should be addressed in the gym setting. The article addressed in the link was in Technique 4 years ago. Google gymnasts and low back pain and this issue comes up over and over.
I find it interesting with this level of prevalance, that any one "complaining" of low back pain would have to have a seperate flexibility/conditioning program. Every flexibility/conditioning programs should include these concepts.

My gymmie was also told she has tight hip flexors by her PT and always will. We were in for therapy on her knees and asked her to check out the low back. She was able to do some great back manipulation( I think my gymmie would go back everyday for those) and also gave her a couple of stretches to do daily. She told her she has to do them even if her back isn't hurting. They do them during warm up anyway and if they don't, the coaches let my gymmie do them on her own(only takes about 3-4 minutes).

Read the article you linked to---thanks for that info.

Like Bobwoppit suggested, the PT should be able to provide a BALANCED home conditioning program for DD to work out the 'kinks' so to speak.

I'm finding that home conditioning programs, such as what I'm trying hard to develop for my DD, truly requires the input and review of a professional. I know many of the exersizes she does what they are supposed to do, and a few that she doesn't. I'm still in 'study mode' to determine if a good balance exists within the program. This is a whole lot trickier then I expected it to be. And lack of balance, as you now know, can prove dire. Like the referenced article elludes too, the body will do what it's told, but it may not do it optimally, and this is when injury do to over use, or mal-use occurs.

After I get my home program 'signed off' (so to speak) by a professional trainer (or two), I plan to share the program with CB. I fully believe that an increase in low-impact home conditioning of our young gymnasts should be part of the overall gymnastics program. Gymnastics coaches have a lot of kids, and can't be expected to recognize growth sputs, or spot aches, pains, or understand unexpected flinches for what they are (or may be). As a parent, I can! And if something hurts - there is always a reason. And it may be more then just a sore muscle.

Thanks for sharing, and I hope DD gets loose soon!

My gymmie was also told she has tight hip flexors by her PT and always will. She told her she has to do them even if her back isn't hurting. They do them during warm up anyway and if they don't, the coaches let my gymmie do them on her own(only takes about 3-4 minutes).

I would bet your daughter is not the only one with tight hip flexors. If the stretches she has to do only take 3-4 minutes, then all the gymnasts should do them.

[
Like Bobwoppit suggested, the PT should be able to provide a BALANCED home conditioning program for DD to work out the 'kinks' so to speak.

I'm finding that home conditioning programs, such as what I'm trying hard to develop for my DD, truly requires the input and review of a professional.

Gymnastics coaches have a lot of kids, and can't be expected to recognize growth sputs, or spot aches, pains, or understand unexpected flinches for what they are (or may be).

I agree that the PT can provide her a program to help her at home, but my point is if these issues were addressed in the design of a gyms flexibility/conditioning program the need for a PT's services might not accur.:)

I also agree that putting together a good program requires a professional and as parents we are expected to treat our coaches as professionals and should therefore expect a certain level of expertise.

A coach does have a lot of kids but this should not excuse a coach from not educating themselves on good sound training techniques, etc. I strongly disagree that as parents we should not expect them to be aware of changes in our childs training due to growth spurts, injuries,etc. I believe that if your child is with someone 10, 15, 20+ hrs. a week, the coaches should be able to spot some of these issues.

My Dd only trains 10.5 hours a week and is L6/7 in skills. With the number of girls in her group therei s just not time for the coach to accomodate enough stretching/conditioning to help with my child particular weaknesses. She has mild scoliosis and tight IB bands/hip flexors. Within any group of gymmies there may be many different issues. I think coaches can only do so much, and ours does try very hard to add in extra stuff when we let her know what's been advised.

Sadly in a group setting it is very hard to individualise a lot, the girls would never get anything else done.

My Dd wants to stay in gym and therefore has made the commitment to do some work at home in order to be in top shape. We do not want to be at the gym any more than we are now, so this is the way it must be.

As for your own DD's issue, only your coach can tell you what is possible within the structure of the classes. Good luck...

Interesting. I'm a poster child for tight hip flexors and a flexible lower back ( though I haven't really had any injuries related to it and it's saved me a few times otherwise ).

Umm, gymnastics coaches should try to keep a track of all of their gymnasts regarding height and weight changes, injuries, stagnating or hitting plateau's.

Unfortunately, a lot of coaches don't change their conditioning programs to have any prevention until an injury has happened and then prescribe rehabilitation.

BlairBob: I'm glad to see a coach comment on this. Thanks for your input.

I am pleased to state that her coaches are incorporating the exercises her PT has given her into her practice. They are also being very receptive to changing the skills she is working on until this LBP subsides.

Keeping my fingers crossed that she will have noticeable improvement over the next couple of weeks. If not, will request she get an MRI to check for another stress fx.:(

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News