WAG Interesting meet reactions

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Just thought I would share something different - not corona related. My sister (age 10 lvl 9) came back from a meet on Sunday grinning her head off! I asked her how she did and she said she fell off the beam 4 times!! She apparently found it really funny and so did the rest of her team - they were cheering her on every time she fell. Seems like the judges let her finish the routine. She keeps watching it over and over and still finds it funny every time. This is actually the first time she fell on beam this season so there was just something wonky with her that day. She nailed all the hard stuff, fell on one leap and another 3 times randomly in dance elements. Got 7.55. Anyway I was happy she was so positive about it. She actually came first place on bars and floor in that meet, 3rd on vault and still 5th all-round with a mid 36. Coach also found it funny!
Any of you got any interesting meet stories to share? We're interested to hear!

Glad she's able to find the humor in the moment!

The youngest gymnast on my DD's team has been working hard on vault and nailed hers in a recent meet. She was so excited she did a happy dance as she was going back to the starting line for her 2nd. vault. SUPER cute!

Wow! 7.55 with 4 falls, she must have been pretty good between those falls. We use standard FIG deductions, so 1.0 deduction for every fall, a perfect score with 4 falls would be a 6.0.

It sounds like she has a great attitude.

Ye she didnt fall on any major skills so didnt lose any value for those! It was a really small meet so coach let her upgrade her beam routine a little to try out some harder skills - for fun. She did a bhs blso blso series, came out really clean and tried a L turn , also really clean. I wonder if she got any extra connection points, does anyone know how level 9 reqs work?
Her team-mates were laughing the whole way thru the routine, i think thats what made her see it as funny!

We once had a girl completely FORGET her floor routine (Xcel Gold), so made it up as she went. She was so embarrassed about forgetting the routine that after saluting, she ran off the floor. Floor was the last event of the meet and the other events had been good for a 1st meet of the season. She was able to calm down before awards started. She placed 3rd on Vault, 6th on Bars and Beam, and 1st Place with a 9.500 on Floor!! She was also 2nd place All Around! BTW, her floor routine was beautiful that day!

We once had a girl completely FORGET her floor routine (Xcel Gold), so made it up as she went. She was so embarrassed about forgetting the routine that after saluting, she ran off the floor. Floor was the last event of the meet and the other events had been good for a 1st meet of the season. She was able to calm down before awards started. She placed 3rd on Vault, 6th on Bars and Beam, and 1st Place with a 9.500 on Floor!! She was also 2nd place All Around! BTW, her floor routine was beautiful that day!
Gee, they should hire her to do choreography!

Ye i dont think parents should pay for their kids to get a choreographed routine, they could just make it up as they went along:)

Ye i dont think parents should pay for their kids to get a choreographed routine, they could just make it up as they went along:)
Would certainly make meets more fun, LOL. And of course, gymnasts would get bonus points for creativity!

Gee, they should hire her to do choreography!
The funny thing is ... she choreographed her own routine that season.
Our head coach allows the girls to come up with their own choreography (they have a sheet to fill out that tells what skills they will use to meet the requirements and once it is checked to make sure it does, they are good to go). If they don't want to or don't think they could come up with something, they can ask a teammate to help or ask one of the younger coaches to come up with the choreography. We have a good bunch of 18-20 year old coaches right now that can do choreo for $0 - $20, and NONE of them try to get "their signature pose / move" into EVERY routine they choreograph. I love this.
One year, we had a coach that charged $30, and I could identify each routine she had choreographed because they ALL had that coach's signature pose, which looked awkward for those girls who weren't naturally (I can't think of the word ... kind of flirty or sexy, but in a non sexual way???)

My OG never competed the same exact floor routine twice in her last 2 years on the team. Of course, she had done her own choreography so felt free to change it to whatever she was feeling that day. :cool:
When she was thinking about coming back for one more season, she said that they should just play a random music and she would come up with a routine ... and she wanted it to be totally random within a certain length (I think she wanted it to be between 1:03 and 1:10) so she was likely going to have different music each meet.

Random point but I hate it when coaches/choreographers try to put "sexy" moves into a young gymnasts routine. Let 8 yr olds be 8 yr olds! It doesnt look cute it just looks out of place!
It looks out of place for 10 - 13 year olds too ... especially when the gymnast is naturally very robotic / stiff.

I don't think all kids would have the creativity and confidence to choreograph their own floor routines but I like it when the kids put their own finishing touches so that it shows their character...
My YG definitely does NOT have the creativity and confidence. She just puts the finishing touches on it.

Let me get this straight. Your 10 year old sister fell off the beam four times and still managed to pull a 7.55, which is pretty darned high with four falls? AND she scored an all around of mid 36? Wow. So she got pretty much 9.7s on the other three events? On level 9 as a 10 year old. She must be incredible. Level 9 is pretty hard and has a lot of deductions and connection bonuses etc. This is certainly impressive.

Let me get this straight. Your 10 year old sister fell off the beam four times and still managed to pull a 7.55, which is pretty darned high with four falls? AND she scored an all around of mid 36? Wow. So she got pretty much 9.7s on the other three events? On level 9 as a 10 year old. She must be incredible. Level 9 is pretty hard and has a lot of deductions and connection bonuses etc. This is certainly impressive.
Just checked with her she said mistake 7.35 on beam so a bit lower than that! I dont know how scoring and connections work in lvl 9. She nailed all the hard stuff so no deductions for those! She fell 3 times randomly doing dance elements and on one of her leaps. It was a small meet so coach let the girls have fun adding in some harder elements they had been training... She did a triple series on beam and nailed it. Double front dismount on bars. I think a layout yurchenko. Not sure what she did on floor but upgraded the tumbling passes... could be she got extra bonuses not sure how they work!

Just checked with her she said mistake 7.35 on beam so a bit lower than that! I dont know how scoring and connections work in lvl 9. She nailed all the hard stuff so no deductions for those! She fell 3 times randomly doing dance elements and on one of her leaps. It was a small meet so coach let the girls have fun adding in some harder elements they had been training... She did a triple series on beam and nailed it. Double front dismount on bars. I think a layout yurchenko. Not sure what she did on floor but upgraded the tumbling passes... could be she got extra bonuses not sure how they work!
She nailed a double front dismount on bars? That’s an E skill. Maybe a judge can weigh in but that’s typically not done on level 9. It’s also a blind landing, so if the 10 year old nailed that, double wow! Well, I would certainly love to see these routines. They sound off the charts.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back