Interesting Thought

• Thread starter flippymonkeysmom
  • Start date

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

F

flippymonkeysmom

So, as many of you know there are some issues with the owners of my dd's gym. I love the coaches, but the way the gym is run does not give me much hope for its longevity. This led to another mom and I toying with the idea of opening up our own gym. The coaches have already said they would come with us. I have owned and run a business before, so I am good with the business and accounting aspect of it. The other mom was a level 10 gymnast and has a lot of the gym knowledge. Part of me is really excited about the idea - the other part thinks I must be nuts. Let me hear all your thoughts - the good, the bad and the ugly :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow! Wow! I never heard the problems with your DDs gym owners. Please fill me in. I say go for it! You got all the right pieces, just put them together. It will also save you tons of money:p Yes, it might make you go nuts at times, but what job doesn't? I wish you the best of luck with everything!

Ok, so get the bad out of the way - the money side of things. I imagine that starting up a gym would cost a lot of money. I guess that depends on the size of the gym, how much equipment you have, where you are, and how many gymnasts you can attract.
Ok, that's my only negative thing. You sound like you've got a balance between business skills and a knowledge of gymnastics. I'm gonna assume you get on well with the other Mum who's contemplating this idea, because that'll make it easier. The best bit is that you'd be able to run it the way that you think it should be run (I'd probably also get input from other parents and maybe the coaches to make the programme the best you can). If you've got competent coaches, then that's an awesome start too. chances are that if you're not happy, then there're others that aren't happy too and are likely to follow you. Ooh, and another thing, the club would need a whole new name and leotards and things like that, so a chance for people to get creative.
I think it sounds very exciting. I'm a bit biased though, cos one of my dreams was to open a gym, but then I got sidetracked with other things. If it's something that you really think would work and that you're passionate about, then I say go for it:)
I imagine there's a lot of thinking to do, so good luck with that.:p

Ok, so get the bad out of the way - the money side of things. I imagine that starting up a gym would cost a lot of money. I guess that depends on the size of the gym, how much equipment you have, where you are, and how many gymnasts you can attract.

Re-read my post, and I knew I forgot to add something. Yes, money and the cost is really the only negative. But, you need a lot of it!;):greedy:

Sit down and write out a business plan. What would you offer that isn't already available at other gyms(assuming there are others). How many staff would you need to start and then as you build up? Keep in mind its easy for coaches to say they'd follow you, but as you put more of a plan together try and really pin them down. I think you have a good idea and if the gym you're at is shaky, then you might get some business from there also. Take time to visit other gyms in the area and see what is offered and what you could do better in your own place.

Guess the negatives are the whole money aspect, insurance, dealing with gym parents(Ha---lots of fun!!!) and working long hours.

I already have a name---Flippy's Gym!!

I think it is a wonderful idea !!!

I agree with the other posters. there are a lot of things to think about. $$$$$$$, insurance - likely very expensive and you would need a HUGE liability limit (people are suit happy sometimes).

Definitely write a business plan - get it all down. I think visiting other gyms is a great idea. if you could talk to other owner's for advice - not sure how open your local ones would be to giving you good advice but maybe if you could get some gyms from other areas on USAG site and call them for advice.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Sit down and write out a business plan. What would you offer that isn't already available at other gyms(assuming there are others). How many staff would you need to start and then as you build up? Keep in mind its easy for coaches to say they'd follow you, but as you put more of a plan together try and really pin them down. I think you have a good idea and if the gym you're at is shaky, then you might get some business from there also. Take time to visit other gyms in the area and see what is offered and what you could do better in your own place.

Guess the negatives are the whole money aspect, insurance, dealing with gym parents(Ha---lots of fun!!!) and working long hours.

I already have a name---Flippy's Gym!!

ROFL!:rotfl::laughing: I like it.

Flippy what a great idea. I agree with all that has been said before, so I won't say it.

But there are people with great knowledge here, ask a lot of questions about running a gym and finances before you write that business plan/

But it sounds just great.

Flippy - what an exciting idea! I think it would be great!

I am sure you know the risks to starting a new business. But it helps that the business you are opening revolves around something you and your DD Loves.

I would talk to LOTS of gyms. I am sure all the Mom's here can give you ideas on what would make their gym better.

Good luck!

Ok - I am really getting excited about this idea. We just looked at a building and it is perfect - brand new, never been used an oh so close to my house !!! We are working on numbers going with the assumption that the gym won't make much money, if any, the first year so we have a realistic number how much it would cost to start up. My dh is still is bit iffy about the whole thing - but I think he is coming around. One thing we would definitely do that no other gyms around here have is the addition of a trampoline and tumbling team.

Still thinking about names - if we went with her initial and mine we could call it S&M Gymnastics :laughing:

Wow this sounds like an exciting idea. This has been my dream since I was a little girl. Your prior business experience will be a huge plus. Another thing to look at is how many gyms are in your area and how close to these other gyms is the building you are looking at.

Is your DD excited that her mom is going to own a gym? I told Abby that and now she wants me to own one so she can be the "gym owners daughter":p:rolleyes:

Ooohhh - I can hear it now, "Introducing the S&M Tramp team" :rotfl:

I knew I could depend on you guys to appreciate my warped humor, lol.

!!~!!

Ooohhh - I can hear it now, "Introducing the S&M Tramp team" :rotfl:

I knew I could depend on you guys to appreciate my warped humor, lol.

think of the competition outfit possibilities !!!!! have you seen the movie Dodge Ball - when the team got the wrong uniform? those might work :cool:

I'd be careful not to burn any bridges by "Stealing" coaches from this gym. This is a pretty sticky situation, actually.
Parent-owned gyms tend not to be as successful. All the parent-owned gyms I've ever known opened because they were frustrated with their local program or wanted a closer place for the kid to take gymnastics. Just be sure that you are opening this gym for the right reasons, with long-term goals and non-emotional reasons in mind.
The start-up is tremendous. I've started up a gym before. The figures were astounding. I hope your location is optimal and you don't have a lot of competition. Team does not make the money, so you'd need to be sure to have plenty of rec classes, birthday parties, and perhaps even have spaces that can offer other sports/services that you can rent out as well.
Good luck though, and if you need any advice I'd be glad to offer some!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back