International Competition

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Our gym wants to take our optional gymnasts to an International Competition in 2009 to either Germany or England. As an active participant in the parent's association, I am trying to understand how our levels compare to levels in those countries and what venues we might consider. We are starting to think about this now so we will have plenty of time to fundraise. Does anyone have any insight or experience with this? Thanks.

What levels are your girls...here in England, its very similar to the States...I was born and raised in the US and now reside in England. If you need any other info get back to me I would be glad to help...

I have never experienced this, but what a wonderful opportunity for the gymnasts at your gym!! I think this is great for them. good luck!!

Jan

We have girls levels 4 through 10. He would only take the optionals which are 7, 8, 9, & 10. They range in age from 9 to 16. Are the levels the same? Would our 7 compete against a 7 there? Is there a place on the web I can see England's rules? Do they have something like USAG? What are the names of the bigger more competitive meets in England? Maybe I could look at their websites and get a feel for their meets. I hope to present something back to our head coach in the spring so I do have some time. I do alot of travel with work to Manchester area, so I think it would be great around that area. Thanks. Liz

I`m from Germany actually!!

I don`t really know about how things are over here though....but I would try to find out for you if you are interested!?

Hiya I'm a British gymnast but as I don't understand the American system I don't think I'll be much use...

All I can say is that the British gymnastics website is www.britishgymnastics.org. As for levels you start with the National Award Schemes and once you've finished that you can move into the National Development Programme.

Sorry if that wasn't much use, at my gym we basically just have juniors, intermediates and seniors as far as levels go!

I think the biggest invitational comp in GB is the Alpha Factor Invite which is in Wiltshire. It is split in to levels 4,3,2 and FIG. The top girls at level 4 tend to do handspring/tucked tsuk on vault, giants and layout flyaway on bars, bhs on beam and 1/1 twist on floor. Level 3 is usually tucked tsuk vault, giants, clear hip to hs, possibly stalders and pirouettes on bars, beam some do back tucks, link 2 bhs etc, floor is things like 1.5 twist etc. Not totally sure of level 2 but there is a guide to the routines here http://www.british-gymnastics.org/site/index.php?option=com_docman&task=doc_view&gid=282

Hope that helps!!!!

Thank You for all the information. I am logging all of it. It sounds like GB is very similar but of course some skills are in different levels. I am interested in how Germany's levels are set up. I also was wondering the name of the gym that does the Alpha Factor Invite. Cheers. Liz

One other question - I see in the British gymnastics webpage that they have an age next to all the levels. In the US we have girls of all ages competing at the upper levels. Does that matter? For our level 7 which I think is like your level 4, our girls range in age from 9 to 13, for level 8 which is like your level 3 - from 11 to 15. Thanks.L iz

One other question - I see in the British gymnastics webpage that they have an age next to all the levels. In the US we have girls of all ages competing at the upper levels. Does that matter? For our level 7 which I think is like your level 4, our girls range in age from 9 to 13, for level 8 which is like your level 3 - from 11 to 15. Thanks.L iz
Sorry for the late reply- I must have missed the thread. The gym that hosts the alpha factor is Wiltshire GC (http://www.wiltsgym.co.uk/). The ages are the ages that British Gymnasics consider to be 'In Age' to follow the elite route, but gymnasts can compete 'out of age', which is any age above the 'in age' eg level 4 in age is 9, so out of age is 10 and above, level 3 in age is 10, so out of age is 11 and above. So basically, the age only matters if the gymnast is from teh UK, wanting a national ranking. Hope that makes sense!

ETA- here are the results from this year, just to give you an idea of the age barriers. http://www.british-gymnastics.org/site/index.php?option=com_docman&task=doc_view&gid=27

Last edited:
Unfortunately I`m not able to find a website in English.......only German.....and I don`t have the inside knowledge to tell for sure.....

I know at German Nationals the gymnasts compete in age groups....
- the elites
- 14/15 year olds
- 12/13....
- 11/11...

and so on...

And in the German Liga usually seniors and juniors compete together.

Thank you for your response. Now the question becomes what is required for your levels 4, 3, & 2. (Is there a 1?) and how does that compare to our levels 7, 8, 9, & 10? Is there a document that clearly outlines the requirements? From your earlier post, our levels are similar but not the same. For example your 4's have both our level 7 & 8 requirements in them. Also what is FIG. We have compulsories (Levels 4-6) which is the beginning part of competitive gymnastics where all the girls in the country do the same routines, then we call 7-10 optionals where all the routines are personally choreographed. After level10 a gymnast can move onto elite (the top rank) but many 10's go on to do college gymnastics.

Thanks,liz

Thank you for your response. Now the question becomes what is required for your levels 4, 3, & 2. (Is there a 1?) and how does that compare to our levels 7, 8, 9, & 10? Is there a document that clearly outlines the requirements? From your earlier post, our levels are similar but not the same. For example your 4's have both our level 7 & 8 requirements in them. Also what is FIG.

Thanks,liz

There is no level 1- just 4, 3, 2, and FIG. Level 10's would probably be able to compete in the FIG category- which is full code that is used at Worlds and Olympics. I'll try to outline routines for the levels- don't take this as gospel, it's just a few skills I remember from seeing girls do at my sisters comps and what I've seen on videos and reports of nationals etc. I'd check on the document I posted earlier when making routines.

Level 4-
Vault- the more competitive girls do tuck tsuk , but the majority do handspring. Bars- kips, back hip cirlce, clear hips, tuck flyaway etc for the majority, the more competitive ones have giants, layout flyway, cast to handstand, sole circle.
Beam- variety of mounts- I think some do press to handstand. Most have a backward walkover, more competitive ones have bhs (not allowed saltos). For the forward element, most do free roll, cartwheel and i think some do fwd walkover. 1/1 spin, split leap, jumps- usually split jump, w jump, sissone etc. I'm not sure what most do for the series- my sis did free roll tuck jump, but she's not the greatest beam worker!
Floor- the more competitive ones do 1/1 twist (not allowed 1.5 twist), but most just do back tuck or layout. Not totally sure what the more competitive ones use for the forward salto, in my region the majority just do running tuck front, some do front handspring tuck front. I've been told that more than a 1/1 spin is not allowed, but I've seen people do 2/1 spins at level 4. Jumps with a twist are not allowed, except for a straight jumpo with 1/1 twist.

Hope that helps and you can understand it!!! I'll type up the other levels later- If you want, I can type up my sisters routine from the past two years (level 4 and 3- both Out of age, so not top difficulty)

Is level one not those certificates you get? The ones going from ten to one, the best skill under them is a backwalkover or handspring I think.

There are the rec awards from BG that start at 8(they've just changed- i've been told they now start at 8) and go down to 1. They used to go from 7-2, then 1 came automatically with 2, then carried on from bronze to gold- I got my gold the week before the new scheme was introduced. Just so no-one gets confused- these certificates have nohing to do with competative gymnastics!!!

I'm not familiar with the 10 down to one system, would it be a scheme that your club made up? I'm hopefully going on my first coaching course in a couple of weeks so I may find out about it then.

Here are a couple of videos that I can find on youtube of our level system

Level 4 floor (dodgy quality)- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NS5coULaL3I This video was at our nationals last year and I think it was an average score (mid 11's)
Another floor routine- this was under the old set of rules for level 4 (the 1.5 twist isn't allowed anymore) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0-tVrUdLhc

Level 3 floor- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMXtxgKkJnI
vault- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOi_rSuyuOI&feature=related
beam- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTr0VhLXPbE&feature=related This girl came 8th at nationals this year, so these are above average routines.

This vid is our level 3 national champion- she won by over 3 marks and is definitely one for the future, so these routines are way above average for level 3.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1RDVcNp43U

I can't find any level 2 individual routines, but I've found a montage of the current level 2 national champion, which can give you and idea of the routines at that level. The second half of the video is the volunatry comp. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhESrihZVJY

Hope that helps!

There are the rec awards from BG that start at 8(they've just changed- i've been told they now start at 8) and go down to 1. They used to go from 7-2, then 1 came automatically with 2, then carried on from bronze to gold- I got my gold the week before the new scheme was introduced. Just so no-one gets confused- these certificates have nohing to do with competative gymnastics!!!

I'm not familiar with the 10 down to one system, would it be a scheme that your club made up? I'm hopefully going on my first coaching course in a couple of weeks so I may find out about it then.

Aw, my gym starts at them and then move you up to competitive. I thought they started at ten, but they can't, I just dug mine out and I started with six. Aw well, just wondering!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back