International Gymnastics Camp HELP!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

First I would like to say that I hope I put this is the right area.

Second, If everything works out I am going to IGC and the end of July and early August for two weeks. I am really excited, but I have a few questions that I was hoping that you may be able to help me with.

1. This is the first time that I am traveling alone and I was wondering if any of you knew if there would be someone there to help me get from one terminal to the other at my layover. This is probably the thing I am most worried about, as I do not want to miss my flight or get lost in a big airport.

2. Since I am flying by myself I was wondering if they would allow me to have my phone with me to inform my parents of when I land and when I am at my layovers? Will they take my phone away once I get to camp and give it back at the end? How does this work?

3. Are there any tips that you guys have on traveling. As I said this is the first time that I have traveled by myself and the first time that I have been on a plane since 2001. So if you have any advice it would be greatly appreciated.

4. What bags should I bring? I was thinking of a small suitcase for a carry-on, a checked bag (since I will be there for two weeks), and a tote bag for personal things. Is that too much?

5. Do you think that it is worth it to go for two weeks? Or should I only go one? I chose to go to camp instead of a cruise for my 16[SUP]th[/SUP] birthday because I didn’t want to take off that much time from the gym, do you think that this is a good decision?

6. Do I need to bring my own athletic tape? I know that they have trainers there, but will they have tape? I tape both of my ankles for every practice and I planned on bringing two rolls for my wrists for beam and bars, but do I need to bring more for my ankles. Tape ways a lot and I don’t want to bring it if I don’t have to.

7. Did you guys enjoy it when you went? Is it worth it to go? After reading the reviews on all the camps this one sounded the most appealing to me, I was wondering what you guys think.

Thank you for all who read this far. If you have any answers that would be amazing and I would be thankful for whatever answers. You can give. I plan on giving them a call once all the payments for sure and double checking what they have on their website. Again thank you for anyone who has read/answered this for me!

Hi,
Those are alot of questions, but I'll do my best. First, you will check one bag, and you can carry on a small suitcase and a purse.Make sure if you carry on liquids, they are small sizes and in one ziplock plastic bag. When you go through security, you'll have to take those out and put them on the tray. When you check in initially, you can ask them what gate (example:C5) to go to at your connection.When you get off your first flight, just ask the nearest airport employee where that gate (example: where is C5) is. I have taken many international flights and found that all employees know some english.
Of course you can bring a phone to let your parents know everything is ok, just put it away during camp. As for the tape, why not call the camp and ask? I've already called my daughter's camp with questions.
I would go for two weeks if you can. You said you gave up going on a cruise for this, so why not?

Answers as i know them:

2. No one at camp is allowed to have a phone, not even councilors (I think directors do for emergencies). I expect they will look after it for you while you stay at camp.

5. There is so much to do there that i am sure you will have a blast, two weeks or one week. I expect the plain trip cost a fair amount of money so maybe two weeks would be better bang for your buck?

6. I would bring some athletic tape with you. I know they have a shop there so you can probably buy more, however i would bring a roll just in case.

7. I can't imagine that you won't enjoy yourself.

IGC also has a Facebook page and i'm sure they can answer any questions you have.

2. I'm sure you can bring a phone to let your parents know, then just give it to the camp and they will give it back. Actually my first year my counselors were really nice and just said in the cabin if we have phones just please give it to them

4. When I went I brought a duffel, a backpack with personal items, a bag that I could carry my gym stuff in(which fit in my backpack) and a laundry bag to carry my bedding and towels. I don't think you're bringing too much at all!

5. I've never been for two weeks but it sounds fun, you have different people in your cabin the two weeks so you make more friends, you get to do different themed activities within the two weeks, and you get to do fun stuff the weekend between

6. Yes the trainers do have tape, plus they also sell it in the camp store

7. Yes I enjoyed it, and it is definitely worth going!!!!!!! Have fun!!!!!! :)

1. I have flown by myself plenty of times due to family reasons. It is extremely nerve racking and scary (always for me), but just know that you will be ok! My mom works for Jetblue, and when a minor is traveling alone there is always a person that meets them and guides around, helps them, etc. If you just follow the signs and maps you will find your way around just find, and if you don't have someone helping you, feel free to ask anyone of the employees at the airport-that's their job!

2. As far as the airport goes.. Yes, you can have your phone with you at all times, but, when you are taking off you have to turn off all electronics until you are in the air (phone wont work in the air though), and then turn them off again when you are landing, until you are taxing to the gate. As far as the camp goes...Not sure, I heard that IGC takes the phones away, but I would just sneak it. :)

3. Just relax! It will be fine. Umm...Make sure to follow all of the rules, obviously. Be to the airport 2 hours before you depart. I would wear loose clothes as its more comfortable, do not wear flip flops or jewelry, oh ya and don't put your hair into a pony tail cause it makes it hard to rest your head. Most planes have little tvs, so bring ear phones. The scariest part of traveling for me is going through security- Make sure to take everything out of your pockets, take off shoes/socks, take off jewelery/belt if you go in that direction, take off jacket.. umm... Lets see, make sure your electronics are easy to access as they need to go in the bucket, also make sure all of your liquid/soaps/foods/etc. are less than 3 oz and stuffed into a small sandwich bag-this also goes into the bucket so have it handy!

4. I would TRY to stuff all your clothes into the smaller suit case... because it is difficult picking up and dropping off the checked bag- especially if this your first time alone, or flying in general.

5. Smart decision :) There are probably some of the same, or even more activities at IGC then on a cruise, plus you meet new people! Happy sweet 16!

6. I understand they have shops there, so you can buy more if you run low- but I imagine the prices being outrageous! If you use that much tape, I would still take just as much as you use at your home gym....but some girls might let you borrow some of theirs!

7. I have never been, but I have dreamed of going! Hope you have a blast, and travel safe. Let us know how it goes!!

GOOD LUCK! :D

I just found out that I will be traveling to Dallas two weeks before I go to camp, so I am hoping to get used to an airport while on that trip. So I will e ready for going by myself

I don't really have anything to say about the camp part, but i have some advice for the flight.
Just make sure that any of the liquids in your carry on are 3oz or less. Pack them LAST! That way when you go through security you dont have to dig through your whole bag.(did this on my way to regionals.opps:D)
For the flight I would suggest wearing comfortable clothing that you will be warm in. SO like jeans and a tshirt and bring a jacket. For security I try and not wear a lot of accessories(earings,necklace,bracelets,etc.) cause it is a pain to have to take it all off and then put it all back on.
Also someone should be there to help you in between flights. if not just ask on of the employees.
One last word of advice is to pack at least a leo, shorts, and pair of regualr clothes in your carry on. That way in case your checked bag some how gets lost or something happens to it, you will at least have those clothes.(instead of none )

I realize 16 is technically a minor ... in this country. Transportation wise I don't think it's in a special category. I'd advise the OP to *plan* to get to the other plane by asking staff and looking at the big signs overhead. If someone is free to walk you ... it might happen.

You can probably look online at a diagram of the airport of the layover and see what you have to do ... do you have to walk to the center of the hub and take a different arm (like a starfish) or are they laid out in a line on subway stops like Atlanta Hartsfield? You may get lucky and be in the same concourse for your landing and takeoff.

Take a tote bag or backpack on the plane for your in-flight needs and anything you would really be hard up for if they lost your bag for two or three days. Since leos are small, take a couple of leos, a pair of flip flops, and anything like glasses, contacts, meds, reading material, wallet, etc. You don't need to drag a big carry on on the plane in addition; that will just be a big PITA when you're looking for your second flight. You should be able to go 2 weeks with checking one large rolling suitcase. Remember black goes with everything.

If all else fails ask anyone who looks like an airline employee or a mom, preferably one traveling with a very cute 16 year old boy.

I agree with emeorymom---don't count on any airline employee waiting to take you to the next gate. Ask the flight attendants on your 1st flight. Many times they have information on the connecting flights. if you let one of them know you're new at all of this, one may be able to at least give you some general directions on how to get to your next flight. Once you get off the plane, stop and get your bearings and do ask airline employees that may be around where you got off the plane.
I would put enough clothes for 2-3 days, most of your leos, grips, tiger paws etc in your carry on. Then if luggage gets misplaced, you'll be fine until its found.
Great idea by several people to check out the airpoort online to see where things are located. Certainly if you have a few hours between flights, you'll want to get something to eat.
Have fun!!!

The layovers will hopefully both be in Chicago but coming home one might be in Washington dc so if any of you have advice on those air ports that would be fantastic. I'm also flyin united so of anyone has advice on that airline that would be great to. Thank you all for posting so far, it has been really helpful!!

I always fly United and I've gone through Chicago several times so I might be able to help with that. The only gates United uses in Chicago are in concourse B and concourse C, which are both in terminal 1. To go back and forth between the concourses, there is an underground moving walkway. Airports are really pretty easy to find your way around because there are signs everywhere.

Now here are my general tips for flying:
-Get to the airport 2 hours before your flight is supposed to leave. Your parents will be able to help you check in, but you can always tell the employees that you need help.
-Try to fit everything into the suitcase you are checking if it's at all possible. It really is a pain in the butt to be carrying extra bags through the airport.
-Don't bring any liquids in whatever bag you are carrying onto the plane. Trust me, the less things you have to do at security the better.
-Wear simple clothes (i.e. jeans and a t-shirt), no jewelry or belts or anything, and bring a jacket. Now all you will have to do at security is take off your jacket and shoes and put those and your cell phone into a tray.
-Then just follow the signs to get to your gate :]
-Toward the end of your first flight they will list all the connecting flights and tell you what gate they are at and if they are on time or not. Just look at the flight number on your boarding pass for the next flight. They should also tell you what gate you will be coming in to so you will know if you will have to go to the other concourse. I don't know where you are coming from, but when I fly from John Wayne airport in CA I usually come into a gate in B and have to go over to C for my connecting flight.
-The very first thing you should do when you get off the plane is check the departure screens that are right by the gate and find your flight to make sure the gate didn't change and it's not delayed (which it probably won't be in the summer, unless there are solar flares). Then if you have plenty of time between your flights, just relax and enjoy the journey to your next gate :p O'Hare is a really fun airport and there are tons of little food places and shops. I usually pay attention to what food places I pass on my way to the gate, find the gate first, then go back to any place that caught my eye. Just don't forget to look on your ticket for what time you are boarding, not just what time the flight is supposed to leave.

Last but not least, don't stress out about anything! I am 100% sure you will be able to find your way and you will feel like a pro by the end of this trip! My family has always traveled a lot and my dad taught my sister and I how to find flights on the arrival and departure screens and how to find our gate in different airports as soon as we were old enough to read, and I'm very thankful for that!

Oh! And always check the departure screens when you get to the airport for your first flight because if you printed out your boarding pass ahead of time, the gate might be wrong because they do change all the time.

Yes, you will be fine. The main thing is, as others have mentioned, is as soon as you get off your first flight, look for the departure screens right by the gates. They will tell you the gate number of your next flight and whether it is on time. (It will either say "on time" or show the revised time if it is delayed.)

Also, when you get off your first flight, there is usually an airline employee right there to give connecting gate info.

Enjoy IGC! I'm sure you will have a blast.

As far as the tape thing, I would look into some reusable ankle braces now and see if you can make them work. If you go to camp for two weeks that could be 12 days of taping ankles - that's a lot of tape for two weeks. 4 rolls? You may have to retape more than one time per day as well, because if you want to go back to the open gym periods, there might be other activities in between, etc. Depends on how you tape. This seems promisingly like tape, guess it depends on how much support you need, but tape loosens too after some time: Almost Bare Feet. That would be my preference personally.

These ones are advertised as "tape type" support, with the ten-o brand being pretty cheap: Stromgren Double Strap Ankle Support / http://www.ten-o.com/TENO-Gym-lastic-Ankle-Wrap,1436.html?b=d*14660

I do wear braces. I generally put them over tape because I dont like how much I slide with the braces on beam. My doctor told me that I should wear tape and only brave if I absolutely need to so I can try and strengthen them. My ankles are in very bad condition and I do my best to take are of them. Do maybe I won't tape everyday if I do not have to.

I was pretty nervous the first time I had to fly by myself, but it wasn't bad at all, especially if you have flown several times before with your family.
If you are going to pay to check a bag, I suggest shoving as much as possible into that one and just taking a purse and small bag onto the plan- I usually take a back pack as I find that to be the easiest. And I can fold up my purse and throw it in the backpack so I have even less to carry. Having a big carry on suitcase can be a pain if you have a layover/connecting flight because you have to lug it around everywhere with you (to the bathroom, to get food, etc.). Like others have said, put any absolute necessities into your carry on- medication, glasses/contacts, toothbrush and stuff you'll need for the first few days in the gym. I also like to pack a few snacks and fun things for the trip and layover time- books, ipod, crossword puzzles/sudoku. I try to keep it light weight though since I will have to carry it all over the airport.
Take your phone with you, definitely! It will give your parents piece of mind if you are able to call them to let them know you have gotten through security, gotten on the plan, arrived at the first location, found your connection, arrived at your final destination and camp safely, etc. You can also call them for help if you have any problems finding your connecting flight or something like a delayed flight or bad weather comes up. I guarantee that camp is not going to expect you to travel without a cell phone/way to contact your parents. Just let them know you have it when you arrive and make sure to pick it up before you leave.
Airports are generally pretty well marked- so just keep your eyes open and don't be afraid to ask for help. There are usually plenty of people around both on your flight and at each gate to help you out. Each airline usually has its flights located in one area, so if you have trouble finding the gate for your flight, one of the United flight attendants/gate attendants should be able to point you in the right direction. Some airports even have maps available on their websites that you can look up/print out ahead of time to get a better idea of the set up.
Just remember, the time at camp will be worth it! Have fun and enjoy yourself!

Thanks everyone for all of your help. I will be going to camp for two weeks and I am flying delta into Detroit instead of Chicago. It was less expensive that way.

As long as you are on 2 larger planes, Detroit is a super easy airport. Just one long strip of gates. There is a monorail inside the terminal. Gets a little more complicated if one of your planes is smaller. Then you have to go to a terminal where you walk through this funky light tunnel.

See if you are on 2 smaller regional jets. Then you will stay in the small plane terminal and never even know there is a light tunnel :). Really it isn't a big deal, just a longish walk if you have to go under the tunnel.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back