WAG International Gymnastics Camp or Woodward ?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gym_Lov

Gymnast
My daughter will either be going to International gymnastics camp or Woodward pa in 2022. She is 11 years old and will be travelling on a plane by herself from Australiato get there.
Any information would be helpful like
- Which camp is preferred
- how to travel by your self
- And how kids are grouped at both camps. She has her round of Backhand spring , Ariel and front handspring , She has her front and back walkover on beam and can do a kip and a handstand on bars , She struggles with vault a lot.
Any infor Marion would be great Thankyou

I don't know about IGC but at woodward, the gymnasts are grouped by age for cabins (or if they come as a team, they will be in the same cabin) and by skill level for training.

I am assuming you are talking about the California one. I only have experience with the Pennsylvania one and yes, I was comfortable with the safety, both in training and in general camp safety. My D went there for 3 years with her team and coaches and she has also worked there as a coach. My d always found it to be a fun week. They have a lot of extracurricular activities. They only have one mandatory practice a day and then an optional practice and an open gym time. I was not keen on that b/c I was paying for her to go do gymnastics, but her coaches made the team do 2 practices a day so it worked out for us. Other camps have 2 mandatory practices per day.

Thanks for replying again gymgal
i was talking about the Pennsylvania Woodward but this really helps in me and my daughters choice

IGC cabins are done by age no matter what level and then the kids are screened on their first day to assess which training groups they will be in they are put within groups which all gymnasts are roughly doing the same skills. Everything at IGC is spotted and 'chucking' news skills is not allowed.

I personally wouldn't allow my 11 year old child travel from Australia to the US alone. There are camps and clinics around the country that are probably more suitable for your child's current skillset and wont clash with comp season.

Failing that I'd take a 'summer holiday' somewhere and see if she could join a local gym for a week of training. Queensland for example has some very strong gyms as well as being a fabulous tourist destination.

My DD, who is 11, did her first week there this past summer and LOVED it. She has gone to the overnight and weekend clinics there in previous years but this was the first full week she attended (2020 forced a delay).

My DD, who is sometimes shy, made friends each time and the cabin counselors were fantastic for her. She loved camp so much she wants to go for two week next year (which I am debating bc of the amount of clothes I had to wash when she got back LOL).

I cannot speak to Woodward but I can speak very positively about IGC.

Thankyou drwho42!!!! You have probably been the most help so far.I think with all the information she will be attending IGC but my i ask how many girls their were per cabin? My daughter at her school camp slept in a room with 42 other girls and it was very stressful for her.So it would be great if you could tell us how many girls per cabin

Thankyou drwho42!!!! You have probably been the most help so far.I think with all the information she will be attending IGC but my i ask how many girls their were per cabin? My daughter at her school camp slept in a room with 42 other girls and it was very stressful for her.So it would be great if you could tell us how many girls per cabin
You should call IGC directly about this as they follow state guidance due to the pandemic. Their goal is to ensure a safe environment.

From our experience there are at least two counselors who sleep in the cabin and there are approximately 8-10 (this depends on the number of children and ages that week). Each cabin has shower and bathroom facilities - a good layout from what I saw.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back