Introduce the idea to boss?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

At the gym I coach at we do not have a TOPS program. My DD Who is turning 5 in May, I know it to young but she is training L4 and L5 skills. Im wondering if I should bring up the idea of starting a TOPS class (?) at our gym. What are the benifits of the program? Obveously im VERY unfamiluar with it. Where would I start to gain info? I've seen youtube videos, but still feel confused...

Dd's HC told me that her gym is considering adding the TOPs program. From what I understand, it is not as simple as just adding a class. There are both federal and state regulations that dictate the program.

At the gym I coach at we do not have a TOPS program. My DD Who is turning 5 in May, I know it to young but she is training L4 and L5 skills. Im wondering if I should bring up the idea of starting a TOPS class (?) at our gym. What are the benifits of the program? Obveously im VERY unfamiluar with it. Where would I start to gain info? I've seen youtube videos, but still feel confused...

My daughter is in a TOPS program and participated in TOPS testing last year (did not qualify for national camp). My opinion is your fine with or without it. The only true benefits come if you qualify for the camp. Though at our gym the TOPS team does have two additional practices a week (5 extra hours). My daughter only goes to one of these since she is home schooled and practices twice a day. As for the testing, if she has a chance to qualify for the camps then we will go to testing, otherwise we'll skip the testing.

Just like with compulsory gymnastics, there are some kids who will excel in the TOPS testing but just don't end up being good optional gymnasts for a variety of reasons.

The program is changing this year so it will be interesting to see how the changes play out.

Start at the USA gymnastics website. :: USA Gymnastics ::

As someone else will also point out, many gyms have TOPS programs simply to generate additional revenue. You will see these gyms at testing. They will bring a big group of girls, none of which have a prayer qualifying for camp and the parents will video every moment including them stretching and warming up. :)

Dds gym just started TOPS this year but I am not sure whether they plan to do testing or are just using the program for extra conditioning. Either way, I think its great and wish they had started it when dd was younger. She used to love conditioning back then! From the little I have seen, I think it builds a lot more strength and balance than what you would get through conditioning in the lower levels - you can only devote so much time to conditioning in just a couple hours of practice a few days a week. I also think this builds confidence - the less a child has to focus on her muscles and balance in skills, the more focus she'll have for the other important aspects, like form.

It doesn't hurt to inquire about whether the gym has thought about setting up a program.

[
As someone else will also point out, many gyms have TOPS programs simply to generate additional revenue. You will see these gyms at testing. They will bring a big group of girls, none of which have a prayer qualifying for camp and the parents will video every moment including them stretching and warming up. :)[/QUOTE]

I also have some questions about starting a tops program (hope you don't mind GC&M!). I coach a very strong group of 4-8 year olds whose skills range from about levels 2-4. They currently practice 4 hours per week. Another coach and I have talked about the possibility of starting a tops program either this summer or in the fall. We currently incorporate much of the strength and flexibility work into regular practice (rope climb, leg lifts, sprints, splits, beginning to introduce presses, lots and lots and lots of shaping work), but would also like to add an extra day to focus solely on tops stuff.

Would it be better to introduce this as a "strength and conditioning" class open to all team/pre-team gymnasts or to call it "TOPS"? I'm not sure how many of my "older" (age eligible) girls will be ready for testing next year, if any, and I don't want to get any of my kids' (or parents') hopes up for something that may not happen. I really want the main focus to be on getting stronger and more flexible. Parents out there: if this was your gym, how would you want this presented to you?

Coaches: How do you structure your program?

Thanks!!!

I do not coach the TOPS program, but I have spoken with quite a few coaches about it, in the past, and I have been involved a little bit in the boys version (Future Stars), so i have my opinions on the topic

Most clubs use the TOPS program for strength and conditioning, which is ok for the younger ones, but quite limited for any older athlete, in my opinion, actually without being insulting I to anyone, when I hear that conditioning is based on the TOPS it usually is a red flag for me for a coach who either does not know how to properly physically prepare his/her athletes, has chosen an easy road, laziness. If you think that doing the TOP conditioning testing is enough or sufficient you are greatly mistaken, and I would advise you to really examine your program, and consider how effective it is.

The potential benefits of TOPS as I see them are:
* Additional conditioning and flexibility training - does not required much time either. I know of clubs that add in 2-3 extra hours a week only so they can work on TOPS. I feel that is enough for younger kids just working on the conditioning without the skills portions
* Good coach education for younger coaches who wish to understand the commitment and attention to detail required to produce high caliber gymnasts.
* Additional training and performance motivation for kids year around.
* Can help identify really committed kids that maybe just might fall through gaps
I would advise to make the TOPS training open to everyone under the understanding that you are there to WORK. Without strong enforced policies this will only lead to limited productivity. So just keep that in mind

The downfalls of the TOPS as I see them are:
* It is not a good indicator of potential success, however it gives kids that idea, so an unsuccessful testing for some can very counterproductive (despite the benefits achieved, or improvements made)
* Its expensive if you live outside Texas, and you make the camps especially
* It can easily cause division in the club amongst kids,parental groups etc. (thus best to make it open to everyone).
* Once you get into the skills testing portion I have heard that its quite pointless and can be counter productive.
* There is additional politics involved that can really be frustrating
* If you are hoping to go towards an elite pathway, TOPS is not your only bet, even though many seem to feel it is the telling side
* The National staff does not really care about your child, if they are one of the hundreds that burns out as a result, no biggie for them, they likely won't even remember you. Its sad.

I would personally encourage you to talk to the Head Coach about it, gather their views, have them explain their rationale, and present your views on the matter from your research. But in the end you have to trust that the coach knows best. If you strongly disagree as a last resort find a club that will do TOPS. Just my thoughts..

Overall I really do not think its anything special. But I think coaches that have done TOPS or Future Stars programs have a better understanding of the progression and development of athletes. I know from my very limited experience I learned a lot.

If you are concerned about their conditioning I would just see about offering a conditioning class no messy testing there and also strongly, let me say that again STRONGLY encourage conditioning at home. For most kids the only conditioning they get is the little bit of conditioning done during practice. I know my DD doesn't get enough conditioning in at gym so she conditions on her own at some of the strangest times of the day. She will do lunge walks down the hall to her room. She does push ups while watching TV and stretches all the time. Committed kids do what they need to do to get where they want to go.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back