Introduction and question

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hello,
My name is Kate and I'm new to Chalk Bucket. I've coached gymnastics for over 17 years now on and off. I've led 2 level 6 gymnastics teams to placing 1st and 3rd in state meets and have worked with levels 4 through 9. Within the past year, I went back to coaching and am now coaching a few hours per week; the Developmental Team for my gym. My group went from 5 girls who are working at the same level and are all ready for level 4 competition, to 10 girls including the 5 of which are at a higher level than the newly added ones. I used to be very efficient at this, however with my family and a full time job it is difficult to think of ways to run a practice with a group who is at such different skill levels. I have 10 girls total, the 5 who are ready for level 4 routines and the 5 who are brand new and need strictly basics. In a small gym, with team practices being held at the same time we are practicing, I am finding it very difficult to hold an efficient practice for my group. What I need from you, as coaches, are suggestions on how to create a good lesson plan that will work for the 2 different skill levels I have at this time in limited space and 2 hour practices. I am the head coach and with me I have 2 student coaches, and a parent who is learning to coach from me; so 4 coaches total on one night and 2 total on another. I feel I need to be everywhere to ensure success. The girls are young, need strict basics, and then the other group needs more of a challenge. My plans are ok but not what they used to be or what I need them to be. Any suggestions would be of great help.
Thank you!
Kate (kmgardner73)

I have a smaller group (6 kids) but they are range from talented level 4's to level 3's that have just started and don't have many of the basics or great body control. Because it is a smaller group I don't have as much trouble but i think you need to prioritize when you are making your lesson plans. Figure out what skills or drills your assistants can supervise without you and what you have to do yourself. That way you should be able to free up some of your time and make sure both groups will get the attention they need.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back