Introduction

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Abbey

Gymnast
My name is Abbey. I'm 16 years old.

I started gymnastics when I was four. I progressed rapidly and made the intramural team at my gym when I was eight. I was a level four. I had my round off double back handspring on floor and a back walkover on beam. Everything was going well in my gymnastics career. But at the end of the year, my friends moved up to level five and I remained at level four. I was so frustrated that I wasn't learning skills as quickly as my peers. I quit the following year when I was ten.

That was honestly the biggest mistake of my life. If I had stayed, I would have more friends, be more fit, and have a passion. However, I have learned that dwelling on the past does nothing for the future. I decided to try out for my high school gymnastics team this year. There were no cuts so I made the team. I'm possibly the worst on the team but it isn't about making comparisons, it's about becoming better than I was yesterday. The team is really supportive and I feel ecstatic that I am a part of something great.

On a side note, I have been a part-time gymnastics coach for about 14 months. I love my job. It's at a local gym for rec classes. I mostly coach level 2 and 3. My love for the job helped spark my interest for the sport again.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back