Anon Invited to TOPS

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hi,
So my DD was invited to join the TOPS program. She is about to start competing XCEL Silver this year. After looking at the requirements on the USGA website I’m shocked she was invited. She has like none of those skills. Not to mention she was the lowest scoring gymnast on her team last year. Please don’t take this the wrong way. I know nothing about gymnastics so maybe I am missing something. TOPS looks INTENSE! My gymnast works SUPER hard and is incredibly hard on herself. I don’t want to burn her out. I just want what’s best for her. I don’t want to set her up to fail. Is there a standard they look for? Do gyms need a certain number of gymnasts to participate? Have any XCEL Silver kids actually been able to pull these skills off in less than a year? I’m just totally confused. But my kid wants to do it. I don’t think she realizes what she’s getting into. ‍♀️

As has been discussed sprinkled around various posts, TOPS programs can be hit or miss with gyms. Some gyms use them in name only as a way to generate additional revenue and marketing. Has your gym always had a TOPS program? Do they have some track record of producing elites (because that is one of the primary goals of the program)? Does the coach have experience with TOPS? TOPS can be extremely beneficial, if done right, in setting a very strong foundation, especially if your gymnast wants to move to the DP program.

Your first question to the gym should be "how many of these `TOPS kids' actually do physical testing?" And if the answer isn't "zero", your next question should be "how do they do at skills testing?"

A TOPS program that doesn't have kids who do TOPS testing isn't a TOPS program. Though, it might be a valid form of fast tracking.

FYI my daughter's gym does "TOPS" and takes kids to test when they have a sufficient number of kids who will test well enough. Otherwise it's just extra hours with "super detailed uptraining training with more difficult condition requirements" that is used to fast track -- which is fine with me.

Another thread that we have going on right now that is worth reading for all those looking for more 2022 TOPs info...

My gymnast is 8. If you ask my DD HER plan is to go to the Olympics like every other 8 year old who is in love with the sport. Lol Yes, she definitely plans to go developmental. However, our gym uses XCEL in place of compulsory. Eventually they all go to DP if they stick with it.

How old is she? Does she plan to move to the DP Program eventually?

As has been discussed sprinkled around various posts, TOPS programs can be hit or miss with gyms. Some gyms use them in name only as a way to generate additional revenue and marketing. Has your gym always had a TOPS program? Do they have some track record of producing elites (because that is one of the primary goals of the program)? Does the coach have experience with TOPS? TOPS can be extremely beneficial, if done right, in setting a very strong foundation, especially if your gymnast wants to move to the DP program.
We have never had TOPs, nor produced elite’s, but I was casually speaking with one of the owners a few months back and she mention they are working toward becoming an elite gym. They are fairly small but growing rapidly. They recently brought in a new coach who has an Olympic coaching background of some kind. He has trained many elite’s. So I believe they are working toward that goal. I do not know if he has trained TOPs specifically before. Should that be one of my many questions to ask him?

Your first question to the gym should be "how many of these `TOPS kids' actually do physical testing?" And if the answer isn't "zero", your next question should be "how do they do at skills testing?"

A TOPS program that doesn't have kids who do TOPS testing isn't a TOPS program. Though, it might be a valid form of fast tracking.

FYI my daughter's gym does "TOPS" and takes kids to test when they have a sufficient number of kids who will test well enough. Otherwise it's just extra hours with "super detailed uptraining training with more difficult condition requirements" that is used to fast track -- which is fine with me.
Ooooooooo…….. that makes sense! Okay so honestly, I like the sound of that better. I’m literally worried about my dd having to work THAT hard to throw THAT many skills when the most challenging ones she has to date is a ROBHS on floor and a BWO on beam. She doesn’t even have her kip yet. As a mother, I’m worried she’ll get hurt unnecessarily. Maybe I’m just being a mom, but hey that’s my job. ❤️❤️❤️

Another thread that we have going on right now that is worth reading for all those looking for more 2022 TOPs info...

Thank you! So sorry for the “extra” TOPs post. I read through some of this but I was even more confuse. Lol I figured I didn’t want to hijack someone else’s post. Lol

Thank you! So sorry for the “extra” TOPs post. I read through some of this but I was even more confuse. Lol I figured I didn’t want to hijack someone else’s post. Lol

Don't be sorry for extra posting on this site... the more the better!

Ooooooooo…….. that makes sense! Okay so honestly, I like the sound of that better. I’m literally worried about my dd having to work THAT hard to throw THAT many skills when the most challenging ones she has to date is a ROBHS on floor and a BWO on beam. She doesn’t even have her kip yet. As a mother, I’m worried she’ll get hurt unnecessarily. Maybe I’m just being a mom, but hey that’s my job. ❤️❤️❤️
Your concerns are valid.

I saw an INCREDIBLE increase in injuries among the kids “selected” for TOPS at my daughter’s old gym. I’d say 30% of them had injuries in the first month that impacted team practice.

That’s not to say TOPS is bad. It was at that gym IMO. You should figure out the coach’s goals and experience with the program though, before you commit.

Your concerns are valid.

I saw an INCREDIBLE increase in injuries among the kids “selected” for TOPS at my daughter’s old gym. I’d say 30% of them had injuries in the first month that impacted team practice.

That’s not to say TOPS is bad. It was at that gym IMO. You should figure out the coach’s goals and experience with the program though, before you commit.
I will do that! Thank you very much for sharing your experience. I will add it to the list of questions. Lol

Hi,
So my DD was invited to join the TOPS program. She is about to start competing XCEL Silver this year. After looking at the requirements on the USGA website I’m shocked she was invited. She has like none of those skills. Not to mention she was the lowest scoring gymnast on her team last year. Please don’t take this the wrong way. I know nothing about gymnastics so maybe I am missing something. TOPS looks INTENSE! My gymnast works SUPER hard and is incredibly hard on herself. I don’t want to burn her out. I just want what’s best for her. I don’t want to set her up to fail. Is there a standard they look for? Do gyms need a certain number of gymnasts to participate? Have any XCEL Silver kids actually been able to pull these skills off in less than a year? I’m just totally confused. But my kid wants to do it. I don’t think she realizes what she’s getting into. ‍♀
I’m in a very similar situation! How did everything turn out? How’s your DD doing?

I’m in a very similar situation! How did everything turn out? How’s your DD doing?
It’s been wonderful! She love it! In fact, she’d rather do TOPs than XCEL. She probably won’t have all the skills necessary to test but she’s having fun and learning lots.
As per the advice of other parents on this thread, I found out more about our coach. He is an experienced TOPs coach who has had a few girls on the National team. He coaches to the future and is patient with each athlete. His goal is elites and he has produced them.
Congratulations to your gymnast and you. :) I’d definitely talk to the coach. That was the deciding factor for us.

It’s been wonderful! She love it! In fact, she’d rather do TOPs than XCEL. She probably won’t have all the skills necessary to test but she’s having fun and learning lots.
As per the advice of other parents on this thread, I found out more about our coach. He is an experienced TOPs coach who has had a few girls on the National team. He coaches to the future and is patient with each athlete. His goal is elites and he has produced them.
Congratulations to your gymnast and you. :) I’d definitely talk to the coach. That was the deciding factor for us.
Thanks so much! I’m glad she’s loving it!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back