MAG Iowa men's team cut, this will be last season

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics
That is so sad. My son will be devastated.

In talking to a guy in the know last year, he felt like if mag lost one more program, they would lose their NCAA status. I was hopeful that colleges would consider that, but no. GymACT is probably the way of the future.....

Reality is setting in for my rising junior and his past 10 years of work...he was so happy in June when College coaches were contacting him (including Iowa), but we knew when the B10/PAC12 decided not to play football this Fall that this was a likely outcome. I am hoping I am completely wrong, but I fear this will make it easier for the rest of the Athletic Departments to follow suit. Quite a difference between thinking this may happen and actually watching it happen.

Reality is setting in for my rising junior and his past 10 years of work...he was so happy in June when College coaches were contacting him (including Iowa), but we knew when the B10/PAC12 decided not to play football this Fall that this was a likely outcome. I am hoping I am completely wrong, but I fear this will make it easier for the rest of the Athletic Departments to follow suit. Quite a difference between thinking this may happen and actually watching it happen.

Well, hopefully GymACT will be viable for teams that are cut....it is probably our best hope now.

I think GymACT and NAIGC will be the only way forward. I hope a few more consortium GymACT teams can form, using the NY Alliance/SoCal United/NorCal United model.

GymACT for men is much like NAIGC for women? I did visit the webpage and noticed 6 or so teams. It’s so sad to hear another gymnastics program being dropped especially in Men’s. Athletes that are in these programs have other scholarships, grants and loans and have to try out for a NAIGC or GymACT team? Would admission be granted or prioritized into a Uni (assuming academic requirements) are met if selected as an athlete for one of these teams? Sorry for all the questions. I’m just trying to understand the options and benefits of Club teams.

I am so sorry to hear this! Collegiate sport has really been hurt by the pandemic, especially men's gymnastics, swimming and diving.
I have heard that men's club and NCAA gymnastics all compete together and many clubs are very competitive and they actually do serious recruiting, is that true? And if the answer is yes, I wonder if they able to office academic scholarships? And how about school privileges like early registration etc. I know a friend's son got recruited for hockey and got into a school he couldn't have gotten in, but no money was offered, but to them it's still great because he gets to continue to play competitively and he got in his dream school with early registration and other athlete privilege.

And this will be the fallout all over the country due to the cancelling of college fall sports, especially the big money-maker football. The other sports and athletes will suffer, losing teams and scholarships. Let them play football!

GymACT for men is much like NAIGC for women? I did visit the webpage and noticed 6 or so teams. It’s so sad to hear another gymnastics program being dropped especially in Men’s. Athletes that are in these programs have other scholarships, grants and loans and have to try out for a NAIGC or GymACT team? Would admission be granted or prioritized into a Uni (assuming academic requirements) are met if selected as an athlete for one of these teams? Sorry for all the questions. I’m just trying to understand the options and benefits of Club teams.

No GymACT is an organization for NCAA clubs. Many also have NAIGC clubs as well.

Yes, some GymACT schools recruit heavily, and have some money to help with expenses. I am not sure they can help into colleges, as while some are associated with a university (ASU, UW,UIC), many are conglomerates (So Cal United, No Cal, NYA, Pride). And even those using university names accept students from any college in the area.

And this will be the fallout all over the country due to the cancelling of college fall sports, especially the big money-maker football. The other sports and athletes will suffer, losing teams and scholarships. Let them play football!
Agree somewhat, but I think football is the problem here, not the solution. They save $184,000 this year cutting gymnastics on a potential $100 million shortfall. College sports is a business and some have severely mismanaged their resources....those who mismanaged should pay, not 18-22 year-olds participating in sports where they truly are student athletes.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back