irritated with USAG and Simone crew

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

The only way I would agree with this would be if (I don't believe this is the case) she was pushing forward due only to others' expectations, and really didn't want to be doing it. Otherwise, if she wanted to be competing, she had absolutely every right in the world to take all the chances she had.

Would you feel the same way if it was a physical injury? You would be ok with saying it is her "right" to compete significantly injured and that her family and coaches shouldn't step in and make her see reason? This is no different. She has been dealing with this for a while now. It didn't just pop up in the weeks leading up to Olympics. And while you don't believe she was doing it for others, I think it is clear that this is the case.

Would you feel the same way if it was a physical injury?
Yes. She's 24 and an adult. She's dedicated her life so far to gymnastics. After all those years of sacrifice who on Earth are you or I to tell her what she should prioritize. As mentioned, I do believe in more outreach and counseling available to athletes. But I'm not that counseling, and neither are you. I haven't discussed this with her, and neither have you. Would you tell all mountain climbers not to climb mountains, soldiers not to join the army, etc. Unless you can prove she isn't mentally capable of making decisions, it's her decision. And the fact that she just walked away from team finals and all-around finals proves to me she's capable of making decisions.

Would you feel the same way if it was a physical injury? You would be ok with saying it is her "right" to compete significantly injured and that her family and coaches shouldn't step in and make her see reason? This is no different. She has been dealing with this for a while now. It didn't just pop up in the weeks leading up to Olympics. And while you don't believe she was doing it for others, I think it is clear that this is the case.
Should family & coaches encourage an injured athlete to take care of themselves and stop when clearly necessary? Of course. But in practice I think the line where it's best for an athlete to stop is never clear. Did she and her loved ones know she was stressed and struggling? I'm sure. But let's face it, elite athletics is often a struggle. People almost always have make sacrifices, work through fear and pain of all types to reach lifetime goals. Figuring out where the tipping point is when things become not worth it or not possible is HARD. I think we should have compassion for that and be extremely careful not to use hindsight to judge people, saying they should have known in advance how things would turn out.

I feel similarly to you. She should have withdrawn before team qualfications at the latest. And the only answer I can come up with for your question "Why not bow out gracefully like so many before her?" is... for the endorsements, sadly. The longer she could keep up appearances that she's going to be at the top of the podium at these Olympics, the more money she stood to make from endorsement deals. Anyway, if that's what happened (I don't know for a fact), that's her prerogative. Best of luck to her.
I'm inclined to agree, and when is she going to pull out of event finals? Why keep dragging this out. If you want to focus on your mental health then make the decision and we can focus on those who will compete.

And then to add insult to injury, Skinner’s husband posts trash about Simone (his wife’s roommate! Awkward) on his Instagram within an hour of the finish! He posted “funny how when you don’t take a team capable of winning gold … they don’t win gold” … and i get that Skinner didn’t do the actual posting but if your husband posted this that quickly, its been a topic of discussion in their home .

So for as much as Skinner called herself a big cheerleader, Simone has to deal with a traitor in her midst (and room ! ) as well as the twisties that only gymnasts really understand … and all the narps (“non athletic regular people”) calling her a quitter . And not for nothing, everytime theres a big interview with her , they ask about Nassar …ripping the scab off that nightmare all the time . And her family isn’t there to just hug her and love her ….
Sounds like Skinner found the perfect husband, for her.

I'm inclined to agree, and when is she going to pull out of event finals? Why keep dragging this out. If you want to focus on your mental health then make the decision and we can focus on those who will compete.
That's a lot of speculation to state that she is dragging out her decision. Do you have anything to back up this claim? Readiness to return from any injury - physical or mental - can change quickly. It's her spot to give up and she doesn't need to get the court of public approval on her timing for making a decision.

Is anyone else uneasy that Simone is on twitter, retweeting the media articles about her? She said she wanted to focus on her mindfulness and mental health. I don't think scrolling through the press and social media comments about her is terribly conducive for that...

Is anyone else uneasy that Simone is on twitter, retweeting the media articles about her? She said she wanted to focus on her mindfulness and mental health. I don't think scrolling through the press and social media comments about her is terribly conducive for that...

I am sure she is figuring out what she needs. I don't think we can decide that for her. Maybe she is reading the positivity, and using it to remind herself that she is more than just a gymnast, a gold medal. that could be healthy.

I'm seeing a lot of re-tweets in support of her teammate winning gold today. And before today some retweets in support of her. What is wrong with that?

All we know is that she has a a mental health problem which impacted her ability to safely compete. That can mean so many different things! A lot of people hear mental health and immediately go to an image of someone sitting in a padded room wearing a straight jacket or someone who is so fragile that everyone around them needs to wear kid gloves. Sure, sometimes that's what a mental health crisis looks like but you know, people can be quite functional during mental illness. I wish people would lay off the criticism.

I am paraphrasing from something I read online somewhere(I’m sure I’m butchering it):

That famous person/elite athlete won’t see your criticism of her choices on social media. But you know who will? Your friends and family, who will be less likely to seek help or confide in you if they are faced with a similar mental health issue.

I'm seeing a lot of re-tweets in support of her teammate winning gold today. And before today some retweets in support of her. What is wrong with that?
She's also "liking" posts that she's tagged in. Which makes me wonder if she's reading the posts that she's tagged in. Some of them are pretty terrible. What's wrong with it is that it could be pretty self-destructive. It reminded me of Vanessa Atler circa 2000, reading all her critics on the message board and letting it erode her self-esteem. Obviously it's possible that it's her publicist managing the Twitter and IG accounts.

I am sure she is figuring out what she needs. I don't think we can decide that for her. Maybe she is reading the positivity, and using it to remind herself that she is more than just a gymnast, a gold medal. that could be healthy.
True. Michelle Obama's sent out a tweet to Simone that was totally on point in tone and message. Weirdly, I don't think it was even one that Simone "liked." If Michelle Obama said that to me, I'd print out that Tweet and frame it above my bed.

She's also "liking" posts that she's tagged in. Which makes me wonder if she's reading the posts that she's tagged in. Some of them are pretty terrible. What's wrong with it is that it could be pretty self-destructive. It reminded me of Vanessa Atler circa 2000, reading all her critics on the message board and letting it erode her self-esteem. Obviously it's possible that it's her publicist managing the Twitter and IG accounts.

I can see where you are coming from with the concern even though I don't fully agree. Simone is a 24 yr old woman who has been candid about some of her life experiences. I think her openess in sharing some of her struggles in getting ready for the Olympics (Simone vs Herself) combined with her advocacy post-Nassar are contributing to all the speculation on her mental fitness and people further read into the situation based on their own knowledge of or exposure to mental illness. I see big differences in Simone's situation vs Vanessa Atler's. She was much younger, had an eating disorder and from recollection she didn't have a stable coaching situation.

I guess all I'm trying to say is that based on what she has said so far we don't know what her specific issue is. The fact that she didn't immediately pull out from the entire competition suggests to me that she could return to being competition ready in the short term. She earned her spot and I have no reason to doubt the intentions of her not making an immediate decision (maybe I'm too trusting!). I think the notion that she is hesitant to back out because of losing endorsements is absurd too.

Regarding the Michelle Obama comment (same as you, I would print and hang above my bed!) - Simone is probably receiving a ton of backchannel support that we are not privy to. We see her life through the public lens only. Just as I wouldn't jump to conclusions on the specifics of her current mental issue, I don't put much stock in her twitter behavior.

I guess all I'm trying to say is that based on what she has said so far we don't know what her specific issue is. The fact that she didn't immediately pull out from the entire competition suggests to me that she could return to being competition ready in the short term. She earned her spot and I have no reason to doubt the intentions of her not making an immediate decision (maybe I'm too trusting!). I think the notion that she is hesitant to back out because of losing endorsements is absurd too.
We know that she is having air awareness issues that are not likely to be resolved in a few short days, according to other coaches/gymnasts who have experience with it, especially with the stress of the world watching. They do not anticipate that she compete in any of the remaining events.

Does anyone know if she would be required to leave the country if she announces she is bowing out of event finals? I have heard that competitors are only allowed to stay 48hrs past their last participation. I wonder if that might be why she did not immediately announce ending her participation.

We also simply don't know what she might be able to do, because we're not there and only know what little we've been told. For example, she might be still planning to do bars and beam finals, but replacing her dismounts with a DLO and double pike so she doesn't have to twist. She could be getting all her skills back. Or she could just be sitting on the sidelines in practice. We have absolutely no idea. The deadlines are clear and not that far away, and we aren't entitled to a play-by-play until then. And getting one wouldn't help anything.

We'll find out soon enough.

Simone posted what I think was a Snapchat story with some screenshots and responses to random comments, but she’s clearly trying to work through what is going on. She acknowledges it’s hard because she’s only got competition surface to work with.

She also addresses timing. Started unexpectedly after qualification. Was too late to swap anyone in. So all the “irritation” you’re feeling is not justified.

What’s that old saying about assumptions?…

Simone posted what I think was a Snapchat story with some screenshots and responses to random comments, but she’s clearly trying to work through what is going on. She acknowledges it’s hard because she’s only got competition surface to work with.

She also addresses timing. Started unexpectedly after qualification. Was too late to swap anyone in. So all the “irritation” you’re feeling is not justified.

I saw an IG story where she was actively practicing this morning and couldn't get her twists to completion in her bars dismount. She made a wise and safe choice.

I was just writing about this when you commented! My DD was just telling me about her Instagram Story. She actually posted 2 training videos of a bars dismount and answered questions about the twisties. The videos showed her unable to twist and have since been taken down but she screenshot her answers and reposted them. In addition to the timing she also talked about what it feels like to have the twisties and her other experiences with them and reiterated how dangerous it is for her to tumble. She said the training gym doesn’t have a pit but a local gym graciously allowed her to train there.

On a personal level my DD is fascinated by all the discussion about twisties, mental blocks and mental health because she has faced all three many times. My DD has talked about it before with non-gymnastics friends and family and it’s a tough concept for those not involved in the sport to understand.

Why uneasy? She is a regular 20 something who uses Twitter daily. Nothing new.

Maybe she finds it relaxing, maybe not. But remember the whole internet does not get to decide what she finds to do.

Simone gets to be Simone, any way she decides.

7193B31A-7F76-48FA-A2E1-EF61330D6C38.jpeg

I love Suni and I’m sure her dad meant well but I don’t like this quote.Simone didn’t let Suni win.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back