MAG Irritating Skills and Advice on Skills

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics
Hey how is everyone good? Okay so I need some advice on a few skills that have been irritating me and skills that i just want to get. So if anyone has got some good tips and advice that would be amazing

Handstand to Forward Roll: So my Coach recently started to have us practice or Handstand to Forward Rolls again. I used to be pretty okay at them but no I like can't even do one. I keep plopping on floor. I'm not landing on my head its just I keep dropping instead of rolling. I don't know if its because I've gotten taller (on a previous post I said I was 5'10'' but i recently found out I'm actually 5'9"3/4. Doesn't make a much of a difference but thought I'd let you know)

Side Aerial: I know this isn't used a lot or at all for boys but I just thought it'd be a fun skill to have in my belt. So I'm pretty sure I have it, it's just I cant stop putting my hands down at the last freaking minute. I've researched a bunch on aerials and i know this is common but i just want some simple instructions because videos make it seem easy and i follow their instructions but I just need some really great advice. I feel it's because I can't get my back leg over fast enough because I know I'm capable of getting some height.

Forward Roll on Bar: I don't even know it's just a concept I cant get. I always drop my legs and I got my kip on bar (YAY) and i thought having a kip would make it easier. It didn't. And I see the girls doing like 5 in a row and I'm over here like are you kidding me

Press Handstand: This is new and not irritating yet. I recently started training for this and I've gotten two against the wall so basic tips and drill would be nice because man they're hard like after one AGAINST THE WALL I'm dead

Back Tuck on the Grass: I recently got my back tuck on the floor and I did my first round-off back handspring back tuck on the tumble track so I just want to know if I need to know anything before I try it in the grass.

Back Extension Roll: I haven't done this in awhile but it just came to mind. I remember struggling to get my arms straight and not being able to extend into a handstand all the way.

I think that's it so If anybody out there would like to help me that would be so kind and I would bake you food if i knew how

My son is 14 and is going through puberty. He spends about 1/2 of his practice time CONDITIONING only. This is about 7-8 hrs a week only on getting stronger. He knows the skills, and has been doing them for years.......This is the only way he has been able to get ahead of the curve for now, until he has the body of a grown gymnast.
sometimes it looks like the optional team spends most of their time conditioning.

Firstly, when in doubt, ask your coach, not others on the internet. Reason is that we can only give tips based on what we assume is happening, while your coach works with you each week and will have a much better understanding of your strengths and weaknesses.

Handstand to Forward Roll:
Are you doing this with straight or bent arms? Here we make all our boys do it with straight as thats whats required in the compulsory routines. If your falling, my guess is that your feet are in the wrong place, either too far over, or not far enough. One way I have my younger gymnasts practice it is doing a handstand with tummy to the wall, then roll from there. Can also do a handstand, push your feet away from the wall, and once your tipping over, then roll. (Just some ideas.)

Side Aerial: Many ways to wok on it, and also depends on what arm action you are training, whether its swinging up and pulling to your chest, or driving arms down like with forward aerials.
Could also simply be a matter of leg strength compared to technique? Flexibility helps heaps.

Forward Roll on Bar: I never teach it, so might not be best to give ideas.

Press Handstand: This will take ages! You need to be able to do several against the wall rather easily. Once again flexibility really helps here. Can also try pressing down on a big box while sliding your legs up, or standing on a mat with hands on floor to give you a head start.
Best drill I currently use for this has elastic bands on your feet to help you on the way up, and provide tension during the straddle to help balance.

Back Tuck on the Grass: Depends how good yours are on floor. If your landing low then keep working. If its high, and easy as can be, then maybe get a mat outside and a coach to spot you? Depends how relaxed your coach is for you to try things outside hehe.

Back Extension Roll: If you struggling to keep arms straight it means you need more strength, and more speed. The concept is simply going from a shoulder balance (candle stick) and opening the shoulders to a handstand. Doing this without an arch requires a decent amount of strength and body awareness. Can practice it going down with arms off the edge of a mat, or down a slope.

Key things here is mostly strength and flexibility. That and following what your coach says. :p

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back