Is 12/13 to late of a age to star gymnastics and possibly compete in big meets?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

C

CrewLove

I'm 12 soon gonna be 13 and am about to start gymnastics is it to late cause i would love to compete big and possibly be like nastia or shawn .

It is impossible to speculate how far anyone can go in the sport, but as long as gymnastics is something you enjoy and have fun with- I don't think anyone is ever too old for that. Best of luck to you!

If your thinking Olympics well its going to be hard to get to that level in just a few year. But you could definitly compete at some point if you really want to and the gym chooses you for their team. Talk to your gym let them know what you want to do they may suggest the Excel program as alot of girls starting later tend to go that route.

I'm 12 soon gonna be 13 and am about to start gymnastics is it to late cause i would love to compete big and possibly be like nastia or shawn .

I would say that 13 is a bit late to "possibly be like Nastia or Shawn" ...not that you can't do gymnastics but making an Olympic team is going to be quite a reach....

That depends on how seriously you take gymnastics. If you fool around half the time, you probably won't get very far. However, if you work hard to succeed, anyone could have a chance. Though you have to eat healthy, work hard, and never, ever, give up.

and too old for the olympics unless you're from a country like...i can't think of one....maybe Guam or Tonga.:)

If you begin competing, you can't expect to begin at a high level, which would mean that you were with younger kids. But if gymnastics is what you truly want, then go for it! It is never really too old to start gymnastics but it gets more difficult as you get older. You will have to work until you get your skills for the level that you would start competing in, which would mean taking some recreational classes. Eventually you will get there, so good luck!

Trying to make the Olympic team will be the hardest, least relaxing goal you could possibly set for yourself and it probably isn't so healthy for your self-esteem or body. You don't have too much time to train (about 4 years until 2016, but you will need to be elite prior to the Olympics, and can't just show up with your skills) and pushing yourself harder than your coach would is very dangerous.

Anyway, have fun, and go big, but don't push yourself too hard and be safe.

Chase the dream! Worst case is that you fail. Best case is you reach your dream. Doing something you love is a small price to pay to give it a shot. Good luck.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back