Is 18 too old?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

T

TheWannabe

Here's my issue(s):

I'm 17, have no money, just a twinge overweight and have no support from anyone! My ma said i've quit too many times and she won't pay for it again and I can't do gymnastics until I get a job and move out ( ain't that sad?).

Anyways.....

I did gymnastics at ages 13 and 16 and never even made it out of level one after 5 months and doing classes with 5 and 6 year olds didn't really help (at all)! I know, I know - Epic Failure!

But I wanna suck it up, get my head on straight and try again!
Is it too late?

I don't wanna compete or anything like that, so don't worry.

i think if you really want to join again then you should go for it. but before you do make sure you are committed to it. so ya i would defineatly join again!!

Don't let your age hold you back! There's lots of adult gymnasts on this site doing gym, and I'm also 17 and still doing gym.

A lot of gyms have teen rec programs you can get into. I would contact the gyms closest to you that you are interested in, tell them the type of program you are looking for, and find out the hours and price to see if it is a fit for you.

If this is what you really want then go for it! You don't want to regret it in the future.

I heard some clubs let you exchange coaching for training to make it cheaper, but I'm not sure how that works...just putting it out there. You probably would need your NCCP level 1 including (volunteer) practical hours to do that, but i don't know if it's the same in the US.

i totally agree

i totaly agree with ROBINDQ. just see about the teen rec programs. i am only a 12 year old level four but my sis was seventeen and did competitive so i know you can do it!! good luck!! let me know how it goes

No!!!!!!!!!

no way! I'm not as old as you but i know what it feels like! I am on the firecracker squad at my gym which is levels 4 and 5 and i am like so TALL!!!!!!! but its good to know your not the only one out there who's a perfect level 10 4'8" button nosed 8 year old. just do your best! and gymnastics is an awesome sport! do it for the love of the sport! and at some clubs, i think you can get private lessons if you feel bad being around tiny little midgets. I know they could do that at my old club......:D :beam:

If you really want to you should totally go for it! I started gymnastics at 21. There are adult gymnasts out there who started even later than that. You are definitely not too old.

I believe you're NEVER too old to do what's in your heart. If you have a desire to do it, then do it. Also, don't be so hard on yourself.

Definately not too old!!!!!! It stinks that you have to wait, but in the long run, will one year really matter. Anyway, good luck, and I hope it will work out for you.

It's never too old to do anything you really want to do. Just keep in mind most gym classes are younger kids and most gyms dont have "adult" classes. If you want something more challenging but not a team look into a Prep-op class. Our gym has this. One group is competitive and one is non-competitive. It requires less commitment than a team but more than just a rec class. It usually cost less than the team commitment too. and you don't have to be great to do it.

No.. I'M too old and ricketty to take up gym. If I were 17 again... oh the things I would do!!

You may want to think about attending gym's that offer "Open Gym". The few we've attended allow walk-in's, and pay as you go. Very popular with teen's that want to have fun, and cheerleaders looking for that extra edge.

So Yes, get back at it! But first, get a job and pay for it. Yes, I agree 100% with your mom. It's time to take responsibility for your own actions and adventures hun. The bank of no-risk, free money is closed.

One arrangement my son and I have is a "Pay the first half" understanding. Meaning my SON (not me) pays for the first half, and I'll pick up the rest if I think it's something worthwhile. (like a car, or College, or travel, etc). Perhaps you can talk to mom about that type arrangement? You pay the first half, she picks up the other?

If it's something you really want to do, you can do it. I have all confidence.

Last edited:

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back