Parents Is 4 years of compulsaries too much?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

lettrich

Proud Parent
In a nutshell my daughter has been a competitive gymnast since she was 7. This will be her 4th year competing. First yr level 5 finished with a mid34 but had some fear issues with flyways and back tucks so repeated level 5. Did great as a second year, placed in AA and finished in the 37 range. We changed gyms midway through the 2 nd year of level 5 due to coaching issues. This past year competed level 6 and did well, placing in top 5 in the state in her age group. Now with all the changes she and I were told if she doesn't get her giants by then end of the summer she would have to do level 5. Her gym is insisting on giants for level 6. She has cast handstands inconsistent but is improving. She has the floor skills and bhs on beam and can connect2 bwo on beam. So should we be patient and hope she gets giants soon? Would you be upset with having to repeat yet again? Thanks for any advice. My crazy gym mom is coming out lol

So will you change gyms if she doesn't get her giants and current gym insists on new level 5?

If current gym will continue to train on giants and other optional skills through the competition year and you like them, then I'd stay where you are. Especially if there is a possibility of skipping 6 optional next year if it is in your daughters best interest.

So will you change gyms if she doesn't get her giants and current gym insists on new level 5?

If current gym will continue to train on giants and other optional skills through the competition year and you like them, then I'd stay where you are. Especially if there is a possibility of skipping 6 optional next year if it is in your daughters best interest.

No we do not want to switch gyms. I am hoping that she gets her giants soon. If not hopefully they will allow her to just train and compete when she is ready. I just can't see sitting through another year of the same skills, hearing the same song over and over again.

I think it is worth a talk with the coaches. If she is very close maybe they would move her anyway. Maybe a private or 2 will help. The coach can let you know. BTW my dd did 5 years of compulsories, so no 4 is not too much, but I don't see a reason to repeat the old level when she did so well.

I think it is worth a talk with the coaches. If she is very close maybe they would move her anyway. Maybe a private or 2 will help. The coach can let you know. BTW my dd did 5 years of compulsories, so no 4 is not too much, but I don't see a reason to repeat the old level when she did so well.

I spoke with her coaches and the owner. Their feelings are no giants by end of August no moving up. I have read the new guidelines for usag and from what I understand the new level 6 does not need giants but can do other skills. However it is a gym policy that they have their giants. I am doing weekly privates in hopes to help this along. They are going over level 5 floor and beam routines but also up training, not just with her but the other last year level 6s. Their philosophy is to get the 9.5s, etc. It's just frustrating. I know if she is given more time she would get the skill.

I am thinking that giants for new level 6 is a bit overkill since it seems most gyms will be using level 6 for those who DON'T have the giants which would keep them from level 7. Oh well. Each gym has their own philosophy. I hope she gets them. At least the music is new :)

at least where I am at giants will separate new level 6 from new level 7. Does your gym compete new level 6?

As long as she is enjoying herself and continuing to learn new things then its fine. We have lots of kids in Australia who spend 4 years in the same level!

at least where I am at giants will separate new level 6 from new level 7. Does your gym compete new level 6?

I am not sure if they will compete level 6 or level 7. They are very "secretive" about talking levels. Everytime I discuss levels I am told that no decisions will be made until the end of the summer. The owner just stated that all optionals will need giants.

I am not sure if they will compete level 6 or level 7. They are very "secretive" about talking levels. Everytime I discuss levels I am told that no decisions will be made until the end of the summer. The owner just stated that all optionals will need giants.

DD will be competing level 6 mainly because she does not have her giant yet (can do it on strap bar, but not ready to take it to the other bar). I have heard that other gyms will do the new 5 but not be doing the new 6. I wonder if your is not be doing the new 6 and they aren't wanting to say that yet?

I am personally not a huge fan of the philosophy that you need to be scoring 9.5 on every event plus have every single skill for the next level before moving up, but maybe that's just because those teams always sweep the awards at meets! ;)

If you are OK with the gym's philosophy and feel that the slow pace of move-ups still gives your daughter ample time to reach her gymnastics goals, I wouldn't worry about it. After all, if she had started competing level 3 when she was 7 (not unusual) she'd only be reaching level 6 (new 5) this year, even with just one level per year. My DD spent 2 years at 3 and then 1 year per level at each of the others, so 5 years total in compulsories. It definitely made me appreciate optionals more! :)

DD will be competing level 6 mainly because she does not have her giant yet (can do it on strap bar, but not ready to take it to the other bar). I have heard that other gyms will do the new 5 but not be doing the new 6. I wonder if your is not be doing the new 6 and they aren't wanting to say that yet?

I suspect that is what the gym will be doing - not competing level 6. I was told that if she competes as a level 5 she would be progressing. That instead of a BWO she would compete a BHS, do switch leaps on floor, etc. But I am hung up on the fact that it is still 2 years of repeating - 2 yrs level 5, 2 years of level 6. It is very frustrating - hopefully she will get the skill or be allowed to just train until she is ready.

Just remember doing new L5 IS moving up from old L5 so its not like she didn't advance. Is Giants part of the new L6 routines according to USAG?? I know there are gyms wanting all the optional to do them but will they be able to compete them?

OPs daughter competed level 6 last year. So she is repeating. But she is 11 by my calculations, so not terribly old for level 6. Frustrating, I know.

I attended a discussion with Jordyn Weiber...she did 2 years at L5, 2 years at L6 and then did L7-10 in less than 2 years! That really made me realize that repeating isn't the worst thing as long as the gym allows her to progress. :)

My daughter did 5 years of compulsories, though her 5th year she did level 6 in fall and level 7 in spring. Didn't bother me. Or her for that matter.
She did 2 years of 4, 2 years of 5, then 6/7 the next year. She will be a level 7 this year again. She has progressed safely, done well and is happy.

Sure there are girls she competed with at meets that are now 8s or 9s, but there are also many at her level, some went through quickly, some slower, some excelled at meets, others barely made the minimum score to move up. And many more are done with the sport. There is no right or wrong or too little or too long in how a kid progresses. They are all individuals. And of course much of it depends on their gym's philosophy, not even including fears, injuries, etc.

If your daughter is happy and progressing, trust her coaches and let them coach.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

I attended a discussion with Jordyn Weiber...she did 2 years at L5, 2 years at L6 and then did L7-10 in less than 2 years! That really made me realize that repeating isn't the worst thing as long as the gym allows her to progress. :)

Jordyn was a level 10 at 10 so I'm not sure about that. She started competing when she was 7 in 2003, level 8 in 2005, and was level 10 by 2006. I'm pretty she passed through compulsories by 2004. Might be that Michigan has a fall and spring season and she did both fall and spring, but that's one year.

Not that there's anything wrong with 2 years at 2 different levels. Jordyn Wieber's just not a great example of the typical progression in gymnastics. Even among elites she was precocious.

My daughter did 5 years of compulsories, though her 5th year she did level 6 in fall and level 7 in spring. Didn't bother me. Or her for that matter.
She did 2 years of 4, 2 years of 5, then 6/7 the next year. She will be a level 7 this year again. She has progressed safely, done well and is happy.

Sure there are girls she competed with at meets that are now 8s or 9s, but there are also many at her level, some went through quickly, some slower, some excelled at meets, others barely made the minimum score to move up. And many more are done with the sport. There is no right or wrong or too little or too long in how a kid progresses. They are all individuals. And of course much of it depends on their gym's philosophy, not even including fears, injuries, etc.

If your daughter is happy and progressing, trust her coaches and let them coach.

Mariposa,
I remember you posting about your daughter when you were changing gyms and repeating level 4! I'm glad to hear she is doing well!

Mariposa,
I remember you posting about your daughter when you were changing gyms and repeating level 4! I'm glad to hear she is doing well!

That seems like so long ago! She is at the same gym we switched to, happy and progressing, slowly but surely. :)

==
well, your DD better get her giants then. :) On a serious note, sounds like a decent gym.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back