Anon Is D3 Gymnastics Possible For My Athlete?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My daughter has made the move from xcel to level 7 recently and has been absolutely thriving. She is a freshman (class of 2026). She is very interested in the possibility doing college gymnastics. We are aware that at this stage in her career D1 is not an option. We are thinking that the likely hood of getting the beam and floor skills in time is not super realistic but you never know what the future holds. She does however have really strong bars and vault. She has the potential to potential to compete level 8 routines in the next season but again not beam and floor. Her only issue with floor and beam is the back handspring. She can do a double full into the pit with a round off but can can do a layout with a back handspring. Knowing this information, how likely is it that she could get onto a D3 team even if only for bars and vault?

Honestly, not likely. D3 coaches are going to be looking for a L10 10.0 SV for any event. Is she training single bar releases? Double back dismount? Is she flipping a Yurchenko or Tsuk? I would encourage you to watch videos of D3 athletes from some of the top teams and see how your DD's skills measure up. (UW Oshkosh, UW La Crosse, Brockport).

Honestly, not likely. D3 coaches are going to be looking for a L10 10.0 SV for any event. Is she training single bar releases? Double back dismount? Is she flipping a Yurchenko or Tsuk? I would encourage you to watch videos of D3 athletes from some of the top teams and see how your DD's skills measure up. (UW Oshkosh, UW La Crosse, Brockport).
Ok thanks for the input. My daughter is currently working on double backs and bails on bars and flips a tucked tsuk to competition landing.

Bars and Vault are particularly sought after in D3 so if your dd can obtain 10.0 SV on those events for level 10 and show she can compete them successfully, then yes, there is a chance. She would not necessarily need a single bar release but she would need 2 transitions on bars. Here's the thing - strong Level 7 (or Level 8) bars and vault do not predict the ability to achieve the skills in those events for level 10. And if she were to do one level per year, she would not get to level 10 until 12th grade. With her beam/floor not being strong, she likely would need to repeat at least one level, unless the coach would be willing to let her specialize in bars/vt. I would not rule it out D3 but I would temper expectations. Just are there is a wide range in D1 teams, the same is true of D3. College club gymnastics would also be an option.

Ok thanks for the input. My daughter is currently working on double backs and bails on bars and flips a tucked tsuk to competition landing.
She should be VERY proud of her accomplishments and making the transition from Xcel to DP! I still think that time is not on her side for D3. Working on higher level skills and having them competition ready are two different things. It takes most kids a long time to learn the bail and then connect into/out of it and then more time to perfect it to handstand. Is she also working pirouettes and front giants? You will see some kids do front entry vaults in D3 but most coaches prefer a Yurchenko.

Club is definitely an option but don't rule out Acrobatics and Tumbling! A growing sport with lots of scholarship money and a great team atmosphere.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back